Monday, February 23, 2015

A Spirited Post

Good Monday morning everyone (that's not an oxymoron is it?!).  Hope you had a great weekend.  I got quite a bit accomplished this weekend and have some Mixed Media Studio swaps completed and ready to mail, here's a few pics before they head on out to their receiptients.

The first swap is for a Spirit doll.  I have to admit I had no idea what a Spirit doll was when I signed up for this swap, so some snooping about the internet had to occur before I could get started on it.  I found a wonderful ebook by Joanna Powell Colbert of GaianSoul.com that helped me get started on the right path.   I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when I started this whole process but as this Spirit doll evolved, her message and purpose became clear and here is the doll I ended up making.


I have named her Sunniva, which is from the Old English for 'gift of the sun'.  She has been imbued with blessings for light and wisdom and I've enclosed well wishes and talismans within her body for the recipient.


She was created with natural elements gathered here on our property and found objects and charms from my stash.  Her face was created using a sun push mold by Maureen Carlson.


Her lace shawl is a fragment of lace that my Mom got when she was in Bruges, Belgium.   I encased a piece of lichen in a brass charm for Sunniva's brooch and she has komas and a goddess charm in her arms and a heart and crystal charm attached to her twine belt.


I attached more moss and lichen fragments to her crinoline overskirt that were also collected on my stroll through the forest.  I hope that my swap partner will like Sunniva, I have grown very fond of her as she has grown and evolved!  I can't wait to see 'who' I will get in return as I am sure all of the dolls that we create will be so unique and embody very different messages.

The second swap item I completed this weekend was for an ongoing banner swap at the Mixed Media Studio.  The banner we were to make this month was for the month of March, so I did a search for 'In like a lion, out like a lamb' images as that is what I think of when I think of March.  I came upon a vintage Good Housekeeping magazine cover from 1935 on Pinterest that was absolutely perfect and here is the banner that I ended up making.


I did an image transfer with Lesley Riley TAP onto cotton muslin then edged the banner with some white baby rick rack and added some vintage buttons from my stash to all of the corners.


I added the text (also an image transfer) and chose a more masculine font for 'In Like A Lion' (Folkard) and something feminine for 'Out Like A Lamb' (French Script).


Isn't that just adorable?!  The artist is Vernon Thomas and she did many Good Housekeeping cover illustrations in the 1930's.

I am also just about finished a couple of ATC's for this months swap (the theme is buttons) but they are not quite ready for their close up so I'll post them in a day or two.  It was a productive weekend all in all!

And just before I go, here is the link to the Old Farmhouse Gathering team's Colors Of Spring celebration on Etsy:


Click the banner above or search COSOFG on Etsy to find lots of great new handmade and vintage items from the OFG team.  Have a great week and happy shopping!

Deb

9 comments:

  1. I never heard of a spirit doll either. Very interesting. Yours certainly lives up to her name! Love the banner-- super image. I did look at "cosofg" on Etsy. Nice things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's the first spirit doll I ever seen. How unique and totally intriguing. For not knowing what one was you sure did a great job on her.
    Love the banner and that vintage image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooook... That banner is just one of the coolest things I've seen! Love the vintage image and the perfect sentiment. I've never heard of a spirit doll before, but it sure looks like you had some fun making her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your banner Deb! The doll is very well put together, I love the dress and the wonderful charms you attached to it. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your doll is fantastic! so is everything you do-I really love your work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie, you are always so wonderfully supportive :O)

      Delete
  6. Oh Deb, your Spirit Doll turned out really lovely and so did your banner.
    I just uploaded my Spirit Doll to my blog. Please stop by and have a look and leave a comment. :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo