Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Be My Valentine

Happy Tuesday, hope your week is off to a good start.  I've been working away for the last few days on a very special Valentine's Day card for my DH (babe, if you are reading this post, stop reading now!) and I finally got it finished today and some pictures taken.  It was a labour of love for my one and only Valentine, come on in and take a look.

I started with a blank tri-fold program that I had purchased at Michael's just after Christmas.  They were in the clearance section and on first glance I wasn't going to buy them but then I got to thinking that they'd make up into wonderful tri-fold cards or gift card holders.  So into my basket they went (and I am now kicking myself for not buying more of them!).  They are a heavy weight cardstock and have an embossed silver border frame on the front page.  After much inking, staining, gluing and embellishing, here is the finished card.


I started out by stenciling the hearts in the background with distress paint and then applied multiple layers of distress stain over top.  When the distress stain is wiped back, the background hearts pop out since the distress paint acts as a resist.  A fun technique courtesy of the talented Mr. Tim Holtz!  Layered, embossed die cut hearts (a gift from one of my Mixed Media Studio friends) came next along with a bird die and the branch from the bird branch die.  The flourishes behind the bird were coloured with distress stain and then got a coat of clear rock candy distress glitter.  I die cut the tiny tag and adhered some alphabet 'X O' stickers to it and placed it in the birds beak, hanging it from a wee piece of button thread.  Crinkle ribbon coloured with distress ink was added to tie the card closed and was the perfect place to stamp the 'Be My Valentine' sentiment.


The card opens to reveal the first page of the tri-fold and on the left side, I colored some cardstock with multiple colours of distress spray and then die cut the diamond lattice.  I colored some of the diamond offcuts with glitter glue and perfect pearls and glued them on randomly.  The scribbled heart and sentiment on the small hang tag are from Tim Holtz's Heartfelt clear stamp set and were stamped with jet black archival ink and then embossed with clear embossing powder.  On the right, I stamped and embossed the '14' and the word 'LOVE' using the jet black archival ink and clear embossing powder again.  I love how the distress paint hearts resist the archival ink as well, so you get some 'ghosting' of the hearts through the embossed numbers and letters.  Next came a key and key hole escutcheon from the hardware die, cut from the same colored cardstock as the diamond lattice, and I added some Tim Holtz tissue tape plus some paper tape that I hand stamped with the words 'Je t'adore'.


Here is the card fully opened; I stamped the large filigree heart and key on the right hand panel with jet black archival ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder again.  More tissue tape was added to the right hand panel as well.  I stamped the winged heart onto the top of the center panel (jet black archival and clear embossing powder again) and I then covered a coin envelope with some coordinating scrapbook paper from my stash and added some cardstock circles with brads, so I could make a wrapped thread closure for the envelope.  The fabulous vintage picture was in my stash, I am afraid I don't know where I got it from, it is simply labeled 'Sweethearts'.  If you know where it came from, please let me know so I can give proper credit.


And tucked inside the envelope is a size 5 hang tag.  I repeated the distress paint resist technique here by applying the paint through Tim Holtz's gothic stencil and then colored it with distress inks.


I stamped the 'true love' and leaves onto the tag with black archival ink and embossed with clear embossing powder and then added the heart from a sticker set from the dollar store.  I will write a special message to my one true love on the back of the tag for Valentine's Day :O)

And finally, here is the back of the card.


I wrapped the bird branch die from the front around to the back and here you can see the crinkle ribbon tie again.

I love how it turned out, it was made with much love for my wonderful hubby who is so tolerant of all the time I spend on my crazy crafting projects, thanks babe!


I'm linking this card up with all the challenges listed below, lots of Valentine and heart challenges around the blogosphere right now!

Our Creative Corner - Tic Tac Toe Challenge (I used the left upward diagonal on the grid: Lace, Ribbon, Twine, Cord; Stamps; Embossing Powder)

Thanks as always for stopping by and hope you are having fun creating something special for your sweetheart.  Happy creating everyone!

Deb







43 comments:

  1. Oh how very sweet and I bet your DH will absolutely love it! I can tell that a lot of time, talent, and dedication went into this trifold! The little tag inside the small envelope is lovely and a wonderful surprise! XOXO! Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Mojo! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Niki and thank you for a fun challenge at Mixed Media Mojo!

      Delete
  2. Well if that isn't romantic, I don't know!! Absolutely adorable Deb! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a card! I am sure your husband will be delighted. I especially like the bird ( you probably guessed that!). We are grumpy old humbugs and don't do Valentines Day ourselves - but I love to see the wonderful creations others come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that is amazing. I've never seen a Valentine card as awesome as that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing card!! A lot of work in there! Love the little tag hanging from the bird's beak. I have those same mini, mini tags, but never thought to do that with one. Clever girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful card - I hope he treasures it. thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Mixed Media Mojo

    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, very creative and love the design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. he will love it. you did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful card for your Valentine! The triple folding leads to nice surprises and I love the photo ! Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet and romantic! I love your make with the tri fold, so creative. The imagery is fantastic. Brilliant colors. Thanks for sharing this lovely Valentine at Mixed Media Mojo!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty card, So many wonderful points of visual interest and intricate details. Certainly an inspiration and I bet the receiver is going to fall in love with it! Thanks for entering it into the OCC Tic-tac-Toe challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and I had such fun with the Tic Tac Toe challenge!

      Delete
  12. Your Valentine card is beautiful and you can clearly see all the love that has gone into making it. I am sure your husband will be delighted with it. Thanks for joining in the challenge at A Vintage Journey and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I love it! The way it opens up and stays open will make it nice to display...you and your sweetheart! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb, I bet your hubby is going to give you agreat big ole' hug and kiss, and maybe even take you out for a nice Valentine's Day dinner when he receives this! Your card is so pretty, with many Tim details:). I love the tiny tag hanging from the bird's beak--how clever! And the tag on the inside is just beautiful! Love all your techniques! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hope you are right Sara :O) Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  15. The paint resist is such a great technique and it show up so beautifully on your wonderful valentine card. I love the pocket inside too! Thanks so much for joining in at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deb, this is gorgeous and so much lovely detail. Lucky hubbie receiving this. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great Valentine, Deb - the layered hearts are lovely, and I love the resist technique in the background. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness where do I even begin with this?! So much detail, so much HEART, so much amazing technique and so much to see here! I love every little bit and can't stop looking. Thank you for sharing with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this tri fold card - wonderful colors and stampings - and the envelope inside to tuck in a surprise! Thank you for joining in on the A Vintage Journey Challenge Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deb this is such a gorgeous tri-fold card.... Don't you just love using T!m's techniques... he is so ingenious !!! The reciever of this card is so very lucky. Thanks for playing with us at Unruly PaperArts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous! It truly is a labour of love! Beautifully put together and I am sure it will be much appreciated! Thanks so much for adding it to our "Love is in the Air challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful techniques with beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this Deb, all the gorgeous panels combine to make a fabulous card.
    Thanks for sharing your talent at AVJ.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is fantastic! a perfect valentine for your honey -- shows lots of love and creativity! i saw the thumbnail at unruly paper arts and had to come see the whole thing. awesome work. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Somebody is going to be so pleased when they open this wonderful card on the 14th! Gorgeous colours, love the stamping and the little pocket is a great idea! Thanks so much for joining in my challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful valentine card, Deb. Love everything on this...especially beautiful pink.
    Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts this month.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Deb your card came together beautifully, I love all the wonderful details and your stenciled backgrounds. Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts this month! Danie xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW WOW WOW your card is truly stunning, the way it opens out looks fantastic and I love how you have decorated each part, amazing. Thank you for joining us at Unruly Paperarts this month. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is very pretty! Nicely done! Thanks so much for playing along with Mixed Media Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria and thanks for a fun challenge at Mixed Media Mojo!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo