Friday, February 13, 2015

Orange You Glad It's Friday The 13th?

Happy Friday the 13th!  Here's hoping that you don't suffer from triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) or worse yet, paraskevidekatriaphobia (fear of Friday the 13th) so you can enjoy the day :O)

I finished up a mixed media postcard today to enter into a couple of challenges; the SPA (Sunday Postcard Art) challenge this week was 'Thoughts of Love' and the challenge this month at Country View Challenges is 'Drips and Drops'.  So I decided to combine them and made this mixed media postcard.  The theme of 'thoughts of love' at SPA lent itself to Valentine's Day but I was getting a wee bit tired of red and pink, so I decided to go with yellow and orange instead.  In retrospect it perhaps looks a little more Halloweeny than Valentiney but that's somewhat fitting for Friday the 13th I think :O)


I started out by stenciling the key and bird cage with old paper distress paint and I then colored the rest of the background with squeezed lemonade and spiced marmelade distress stains.  I added some drops of  ripe persimmon distress stain and let them run down the length of the postcard.  Some spritz and flick came next to add some drops and I then wiped back the stenciled areas where the distress paint had resisted the stain.


Do you see the wee wrinkle in the middle of the bird cage?!  I failed to take into consideration which way the birds were facing when I stenciled the background shape of the bird cage onto the postcard (d'oh!), so had to stamp the bird cage stamp onto tissue paper and apply it to the postcard with some matte medium so the birds would be going in the right direction.  Necessity is the mother of invention or so they say!


I also did some  background stamping with a music stamp and a script stamp plus added the floral border stamp.  I then overstampsed those with various clear stamps from my stash in black archival ink and embossed them with clear embossing powder.


The Maya Road decorative scroll was colored with ripe persimmon distress stain and I then added some Martha Stewart glitter craft paint over top.  It is very funky stuff, more like glitter glue than paint really; this colour is called 'brownstone' and the medium that the glitter particles are suspended in is brown in colour but you really can't see it too much when it dries.


The wood banner was one I got at Michael's way back, this is the backside of the banner and I sanded it, then stained it with distess ink and added some Tim Holtz Idea-ology label letters to spell out 'Be Love'. 


I added a Tim Holtz Idea-ology fragment charm with a brad over the stamped word 'true', love how the charms slightly magnify the words or images that are underneath them.


Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that this postcard has enough loving thoughts for the SPA challenge and is drippy and droppy enough for the Country View challenge LOL!  Have a good weekend, I hear that the East coast is going to get hit again with another snow storm so stay safe everyone and enough already Mother Nature, right?!  See you again soon and happy creating,

Deb

19 comments:

  1. Good luck with both these challenges. I love how frankly you describe your process with the happy accidents along the way too. This is a beautiful card with so many really interesting details. I love the birds and the ideology charm. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie Ann! I love the discoveries you make as you encounter the happy accidents, you really do learn by your mistakes :O)

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Don't you love the TH label letters? I have them too. Use them quite often. Orange is a nice change. Never heard of those phobias. My, those are long words. Wonder if there is a phobia of long words??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drippy and droppy and textured and fabulous! I love the background - it's absolutely stunning! And all the cool, eclectic elements are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's perfectly loving, drippy and droppy :) I've never worked with distress paints or inks. I've looked at them in the store but in the end my cheapo side has won out and I've walked away without buying. I love all these colors and even though they aren't the traditional pink or red they work well in this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, happy Valentine's Day to you too!

      Delete
  6. Deb, this is fantastic! I love the fiery colours and the black stamping really pops! You got a great effect on that flourish with the glitter paint, looks like rust! Just amazing! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful non-traditional edge to your loving thoughts and drips and drops. There's a lot of fun details to search out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choice to go with the alternate colours. I don't think cupid would mind. ;o))

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this card makes MY heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful! How I love the birdcage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work as always. I love those colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      Happy Belated Valentine's Day to you and yours!
      I love, love this postcard! Anything with a Bird on it steals my heart! :)
      Love the previous one too ...The Doggie Valentine. LOL

      Hugs

      Delete
  12. Fabulous make, love the birdcage and how you embellished it! What a fabulous make! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at country view crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo