Sunday, February 1, 2015

Play Day

Hello and happy first day of February everyone!  Did anyone happen to see where in the heck January went to?!  Usually I find that January drags on and on but this year it flew by.

I had a wonderful play day yesterday, it was 'Inspire Your Heart With Art' day and over at Unruly Paper Arts they challenged us to create something that inspires our heart, simply for the love of art.


And so I headed on down to my studio and started to play.  I had no real plan in mind when I started, I just knew that I wanted to incorporate my love of distress, layering, texture and ephemera into my design and here is what I ended up making.


Layered stencils colored with distress stains and inks started this plaque in some of my favourite colours.  Stamping came next and then the honeycomb framework die was cut from core-dinations cardstock and sanded lightly.  I wanted to include some words, so typed out 'art full life' and adhered them to the offcut hexagons from the honeycomb die and chose some alpha tiles to spell the word 'seek'.


I dove into my stash of ephemera and idea-ology bits and bobs to add the bee charms, clock hands and gear wheels.  A fragment charm came next over some of the stamped images and I mounted the eye remnant rub behind the monocle.  The admit one ticket was stamped onto kraft cardstock and embossed with some clear embossing powder.  I had scanned my background before starting to embellish it, so I cut out the light bulb stamp from my scanned image and mounted it on pop dots.

And then came the really fun part!


Inspired by a tutorial over at Frilly and Funkie, I stenciled the numbers with a Dyan Reaveley stencil, using Wendy Vecchi crackle texture paste, lots of distress sprays and perfect pearls powder onto crumpled cardstock.  I then tore this fragment off the master board, inked the edges and added it to the plaque.  Delicious textured, aged and crackled yumminess!


So that is my creation for 'Inspire Your Heart With Art' day.  I had so much fun just creating, just doing what I love.  I hope that you too will take some time and make something from the heart, for you, that inspires and delights you.  Have a wonderful creative day everyone and thanks so much for stopping by.

Deb


13 comments:

  1. Wow! All the fun you had while creating this plaque transpire from the detailed way you wrote your post (it almost feels like a tutorial - if I had all the material and tools required I might have tried to make a plaque like yours) but also the photos and the plaque itself. Thanks for sharing this fun and lovely project with us.
    Yes indeed January flew by quite fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- you need to "play" more often!! Great results! Hey-- the Feb tag is up on the TH blog; it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the layering!!!! Beautiful color combination!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb.What a packet of fun you had with this great piece. Lots of details for us to admire.
    Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning plaque! I love how boldly the images and ephemera stand out and that crackle is a great addition. Fabulous composition, colour and texture. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of inspire your heart with art day. That last piece you added there with all the crackle and texture is awesome. I'm kind of drawn to things that look old and grungy :)
    If none of my cleaning gets done today I'm blaming you because you're the one who encouraged me to go play :)......lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing what you do with all of those items! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Steam punk hanging.
    Barbara Bird / Gecko Galz DT
    mdstrwbery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...getting your creative on is good for the soul. And just think how much more creative you will be now.

    Love those colors, and the details...but then again, everything you make is pretty wonderful Deb.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum - love the colours (of course), and that fab clock stencilling is so cool. Great use of the Frameworks honeycomb too - this is fab!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo