Friday, March 20, 2015

Believe On The Edge

Hello and happy, happy, happy first day of Spring, woo-hoo!  Tulips, daffodils, robins and green growing things ... I can't wait for it all to get started.

I mentioned in my last post that I was taking an online class called 'Stretch Your Dies' and that I'd share my homework with you as I went along.  The first class was on different ways to use your word dies and one technique really intrigued me.  It is called 'On The Edge' (taught by Julie Ebersole) and involves cutting your word die in such a way that it acts as the place to 'tuck' your tuck and fold card.  I am woefully bereft of word dies, the only ones I have are some Tim Holtz Holiday Words: Block dies, but I made a card using the word 'Believe' from that set and here it is:


 I have to admit I really struggled with this, I am embarrassed to tell you how many times I tried to make this card because I kept cutting the word in the wrong spot or upside down or on the wrong flap .... and it wasn't because the instructions weren't clear, they were wonderful, I just was having a MAJOR brain cramp LOL!  But it turned out pretty well in the end.  Here's a side shot so you can see how the top flap of the card tucks under the word 'Believe'.


I used some $1 Store scrapbooking paper to cover the white cardstock and the butterflies were cut with an EK Success butterfly layering punch.  The white hearts are actually metal studs, I just tucked the prongs underneath and glued them on.  I embossed the word 'Believe' and stamped 'in you' with Tim Holtz Worn Text stamps.  This technique has so many possibilities and you can change the dimensions of the card to suit the size of your word dies.  I can see it also as a closure method for a small folio or journal, it would be wonderful.

I am discovering that while I do have quite a few dies, I don't have nearly as many as I need LOL!  All of the wonderful techniques they are sharing in the classes involve types of dies that I don't really have in my stash (probably because I am not a card maker) so I have added a fair few things to my wish list at Simon Says Stamp :O)  I do have more cards in the works though, using the dies that I have, so I'll be back in a bit to show you a few more.

Thanks as always for stopping by and have a wonderful first day of Spring (or Fall for those of you Down Under) and happy creating!

Deb

20 comments:

  1. Very neat idea! Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Deb, and I think you just sold me on two more products!! Love the bright yellow, great backdrop for the striking black text! Wonderful butterflies too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Spring to you too and these are very "springy". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this. Good for you to keep trying till you got it right with the cut. I can't tell you how often I have those brain cramps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have brain cramps with the copier at work - upside down, face down or up...back to front...turned out great Deb and I like the color combination! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty! I sure know what you mean about having a major cramp....I still haven't approached my Sizzics thingy. It scares me. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora and yes, those brain cramps can be very painful! And don't fear the Sizzix thingy, you will love it :O)

      Delete
  7. A fabulous card, great spring feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a great job Deb and sure looks like a good technique. I have lots of dies but don't make cards these days so using mine now as stencils for journal pages. Thanks for all the lovely comments you have left on my blog
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy spring to you also!!! Hooray right?

    I had to think about what you meant by dies....what was dying? dieing? OH......finally got it. Very cute card, and you have much more patience then I do.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb, this is really kind of you to share these techniques with us. I would like to thank you for the hard work you put in to mastering the technique. It's a great idea for a card too. Looking forward to the next episode. Big hugs, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Angela, glad you found it useful! The next installment will be coming shortly, just got some new dies in the mail so will continue playing soon :O)

      Delete
  11. Oh I am so pleased someone else gets major brain cramp from time to time - lol !! That really is such a great technique - simple I guess, when you know how but it looks amazing on your card, I love it. Happy Spring to you too! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brain cramp - LOL that's a new one and I'm totally stealing it. LOVE how springy and fresh this feels. And oh no! You don't have enough dies? Well... there's only one logical way to remedy that unfortunate situation. ;) Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! Greetings from Montreal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and bonjour de la Colombie-Britannique!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful card!!! Happy Spring to you and thanks as always for your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! And I am so happy to see you back creating and blogging again my friend.

      Delete
  15. That's a really pretty card - love those little butterflies.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo