Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Colour Challenge(d)

Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend.  Spring has well and truly arrived here in B.C.; while it is still cool at night, during the day the temperatures are soaring into the mid-teens (Celcius that is!) and the air is alive with bird song.  Our grass is even starting to green up, woo-hoo!

I've been working on a couple of projects that are truly challenging me.  The first is a challenge at Jingle Belles to create 'A Very Vibrant Christmas' card inspired by this picture:


Yowza, that's a lot of colours that I never, ever use LOL!  You don't have to look too far on my blog to see that I am much more comfortable with a muted, natural palette so this was indeed a challenge!  It took me several tries but here is the card I finally ended up creating.


Comparing it to the challenge picture I see now that it is no where near as vibrant as it could of (should of?) been but this was the extent of my abilities I'm afraid LOL!  I used some purple and turquoise cardstock to die cut the ornaments and the sentiment, and embossed the background with a 'Cracked' Texture Fades embossing folder.  I highlighted the raised embossed areas with Heidi Swap 'Tinsel' spray and edged the card with 'Peacock Feathers' Distress Ink and then added some silver glitter glue over top of that.  The whole card got a spritz of 'Biscotti' Perfect Pearls spray at the end.

The second challenge I have been struggling with is Tim Holtz's March tag for his 12 Tags of 2015 challenge.  Once again, it is the colours I am having problems with; I love 'em but have a hard time implementing them LOL!


I don't have a tag to show you quite yet - I am on version number three at the moment and still not very happy with it! - but I'm getting closer so hopefully will be able to post it shortly.  Thanks as always for stopping by and hope you have a great week.  Happy and colourful creating!

Deb

15 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas card, it came out wonderful! I love the retro ornaments! :)

    Laura Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you rocked the vibrant hues perfectly ... love the in-set sentiment ... so very glad you got out of your comfort zone & joined us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie and thanks for a great challenge at Jingle Belles, stepping outside of your comfort zone occasionally is a good thing :O)

      Delete
  3. Great job! Like that textured background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a primitive person that likes the muted tones I'd have a hard time doing that challenge ~ I think you did a wonderful job!!! You are a brave soul ~ I know I couldn't do it.
    It's been warming up here too ~ Yeah!!!
    Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Deb, you really took the bull by the horn with this photo challenge! I would have went screaming in the other direction when I saw that!! Love your baubles and the wonderful shimmer Good luck finding your Tim mojo, I'm struggling with this one too because I don't have any of the products he used this time around! See you soon, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! i love your card i love the bold and graphic style :)
    I am behind on tim's tags :/ I have feb and march to do. Don't feel like you need to do a bunch of colors like he did- maybe just do your 2 fave colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for spring Deb. I'm still not convinced that it's here, just waiting for another killer frost to set us back, LOL. But for now the warmer temps are wonderful and I am not complaining.

    I love turquoise, and your tag is so pretty. You always inspire me!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yippee! You are finally getting spring down there! We have a ways to go......3 below zero this morning! I love all the colors you came up with. Very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Christmas card. You may not think it's as vibrant as it should have been but I say it's as vibrant as it needs to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debs, thanks for the visit. Know what you mean about the colours but your card is great. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a beautiful job Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well not to contradict you, missus, but WOW, i love what you've done with the JINGLE BELLES inspiration pic and you did a great job of taking the colors and shapes from the photo and brilliantly making them a card that's more your style! love those gorgeous baubles and all that lovely shimmery glitter and glimmer!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes - those colours would scare me too, but I love what you created. The retro baubles look really cool in the colours, and I love the cracked ice background - clever stuff.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo