Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Life Possibilities

Happy hump day everyone, it's rainy and chilly here today but despite that, look who I found just outside the back door.


Despite the weather, he was singing his little heart out!


Spring tends to bring that joy out in all of us, doesn't it?  No matter how gloomy the day, we feel that life is full of possibilities now that the season of renewal and rebirth is here.

And so to celebrate Spring and all she represents, I made this mixed media shadow box that I'm calling 'Life Possibilities'.


I was inspired by Tim Holtz's 'Bird Feather' stamp set and I wanted to gets lots of dimension in the piece, so decided to use the reverse side of an 8x6 stretched artists canvas.


I stamped the bird, nest, eggs and feather from Tim's stamp set onto Ranger Specialty stamping paper, embossed them with clear embossing powder after coloring them with distress inks and fussy cut them all.


Many layers of gesso, acrylic paint, torn strips of scrapbooking paper and antiquing medium were applied to the canvas along with some stamping with black archival ink using stamps by Ellen Vargo and Wendy Vecchi.


I cut some greens from Tim Holtz's 'Holiday Greens' die set and colored them with distress ink and the Sizzix 'Arbor' leaves were die cut and colored with distress inks as well.  I layered the greens and leaves onto the inside of the canvas, mounting some on pop dots.  I also die cut the branch from Tim Holtz's 'Bird Branch' die to give my little bird a place to perch and to build her nest and mounted the branch and the bird onto a double layer of fun foam over top of the leaves and greens.


I used the 'life' Typed Token and highlighted it with some 'Old Paper' distress paint for the top of the shadow box.


The 'Life Possibilities' label was created by painting a blank wooden tag white and gluing on the words that I typed out on the computer.  I then laid down a thick coat of Glossy Accents over the whole tag to give it the look of an old porcelain label.


I snipped the edges of the feather from Tim's 'Bird Feather' stamp set after fussy cutting it and gently folded it down the middle for a little dimension.


I am linking this mixed media shadow box up with these challenge blogs:

A Vintage Journey - 'Anything Tim' (Happy birthday AVJ!)
Mixed Media Monthly - 'Birds Of A Feather'
Mixed Media World - 'Anything Goes'
The Mirror Crack'd - 'Wings'

Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that Spring has filled you with the joy of life's possibilities too!  Happy creating,

Deb

36 comments:

  1. This is a lovely shadow bokk art piece.I love birds, and that little one outside your door must have been a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design! Is that a North American Robin inspiring you there?x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just spectacular Deb!! Love the shadow box idea and the amazing texture you achieved! This is such a wonderful 3d scene with that beautiful bird perched up in his tree, fantastic!! Love the photo you snapped, birds are such amazing creatures aren't they! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a beautiful creation, that is a lovely bird, Spring does seem to make everything seem new and fresh, even though it comes around every year it never gets old, lol, we need it after this dreadful winter, the promise of arm days and green , too long a winter of snow and ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie and hope Spring will come soon for you too!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Absolutely beautiful :)

    No robins as yet but we had rain yesterday instead of snow. Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty Deb! It would look perfect sitting in a window or on a small shelf. Robins are always nice to see in the Spring. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have finally seen a few robins here the last week or so-- kind of late this year. Love your picture! I really like the frame treatment. The words add a lot. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Deb, this is a fantastic reversed canvas, I love all the detail you added, the greens, the branch, the bird and nest - everything! This must have been a real labour of love but it was so worth it!

    Thanks so much for joining in our birthday celebration, Anything Tim challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab Fab Fab, Deb!! I love this beautiful shadowbox! I just LOVE Robin's and you've captured the hope and renewal of Spring perfectly! I just love the two photos you shared of the singing Robin, too!! They are happy little beings, aren't they!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! You have amazing ideas and then to reach this finish is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Deb this is really lovely, fabulous natural colours, and your singing Robin must have been a joy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic. Brilliant idea using the back side of the stretched canvas. I love the way it looks with all the papers you layered on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this shadow box and the beautiful texture and how you've set up the lovely bird with the nest and the eggs.Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media World xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Georgie and thanks for a fun challenge at MMW, glad to have found your new challenge blog!

      Delete
  14. This is beautiful ~ every detail. I am so looking forward to seeing my first robin this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow,absolutely beautiful. Love everything about it,I hope you have this pride of place somewhere ;)
    Thanks for joining us at MMW
    Big hugs
    Donna DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally in love with your shadow box Deb. I find the birds in my garden also inspire me. Thanks for joining in the challenge at A Vintage Journey and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, your work keeps on getting better and better! I adore this shadow box, and your bird and eggs are simply amazing! Thank you for sharing your photos of that fat robin! I love the shot you go of him hitting a C sharp! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, what a sweet thing to say :O) The photo of that wee guy hitting his high note was a happy surprise, I didn't realize I had it till I downloaded the pics to my computer. Love it!

      Delete
  18. Yippee! First Robin finally showed up for you! Now maybe they will start working their way up here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both birds are wonderful, Deb - both in the photo and on your wonderful shadow box frame. Love the distressed look of the frame and that fab feather!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your robin shadow box is fantastic!!! So lovely every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like this, Deb! So creative (love that you used the back of a canvas) and hopeful.
    And love your pics of the robin!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love both birds here! Oh the joy of the birds singing outside, so wonderful! He is so happy! I love your mixed media canvas, brilliant! What a wonderful pairing to remember a precious moment! Enjoy your day!~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! The air is alive with bird song here, it is such a joyful noise :O)

      Delete
  23. Love, love, TRIPLE love both this post and your project. It made me so happy to see your little Robin and that picture you snapped was gorgeous- the perfect visual sign of Spring! And this project surely packs a wow punch, too! It has so many clever details and I love the mix of rustic-ness with elegance. The English lit nerd in me also appreciates how you tied the Spring theme into life and how we can all use our wings to fly and to find the beauty all around us. Kudos on many levels, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a stunning shadow box. I love everything about it. Thanks so much for joining us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Donna and thanks for a fun challenge at MMM!

      Delete
  25. First, I just love the reverse canvas!! Secondly, the details are AH-Mazing!! Seriously, the eggs and the colors and the feathers ... I just love this!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I had so much fun making it :O)

      Delete
  26. Love your shadow box! Wonderful background with the leaves. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous shadow box. love the bird elements that you blended into the sides. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oops - should also of course have thanked you for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is gorgeous, so much detail to drink in. Everything fits so well together, love the feather and the eggs drawing us into the bird in the centre.

    Thanks for sharing with us

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo