Monday, March 16, 2015

Oh The Emboss-ibilities!

Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend.  We had some sun, some rain, a few snow flakes and a terrifying wind storm that brought trees down all around us.  Fortunately none of them fell on the house or our vehicles but it was a scary few hours as the winds roared and the trees bent nearly double.  We were without power for awhile but full credit to our local B.C. Hydro crews, they were out and restored our power within a very short period of time.  We've lots of clean up to do around the property, bucking up the trees that came down and cleaning up branches, but we were very lucky that that is all we have to deal with!

Before I share my project with you, I have some amazing news to tell you!  I was incredibly honoured to be chosen as one of the Pinworthy mentions at A Vintage Journey for their  'Special Numbers' challenge!  (Click here for a link to my 'You're The One' postcard in case you missed it.)  Thanks so much to Brenda and the team at A Vintage Journey for choosing my project and congratulations as well to the other 'Pinworthies', Suzz and Nicole, and a great big hand to Pamellia for her incredible winning entry.  If you haven't joined in with any challenges at A Vintage Journey, I encourage you to give them a try and to follow this wonderful blog for endless inspirations that celebrate the style of Tim Holtz.

So, in amongst power outages, I managed to get another Christmas card made to link up with the Jingle Belles current challenge which is 'Mission EMBOSS-ible'!  Cue the Mission Impossible music:


and mental images of Peter Graves accepting the current mission and tape recordings going up in smoke LOL! (For you young 'uns who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a link to TV.com where you can see episodes from the original TV series: http://www.tv.com/shows/mission-impossible/  :O)

As the name of the challenge implies, we were to make a Christmas card using either dry embossing or heat embossing or both and so I decided to embrace the challenge whole-heartedly and embossed each and every surface that I added to my card (other than the brads in the centers of the poinsettias that is!).


I used the Tim Holtz 'Tattered Poinsettia' die and dry embossed the flower in the back with a Spellbinders 'Circles' Impressabilities die before overstamping it with a musical score stamp.


The poinsettia in the foreground was stamped alternately with a script background stamp and the same musical score stamp and all of the stamped images were heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  The sprig of greenery (die cut with Tim Holtz's 'Holiday Greens' die set) peeking out from behind the poinsettias was also heat embossed with clear embossing powder.

I then dry embossed a frame using Tim Holtz's 'Distressed Frame' Texture Fades folder and heat embossed the edge of the frame with some Stampendous 'Winter Wonderland' embossing powder.



The sentiment was die cut from some scrapbooking paper using Tim Holtz's 'Holiday Words: Block' die cutting set and all of the letters were heat embossed with clear embossing powder (note to self: it would have been much easier to have heat embossed the piece of scrapbooking paper BEFORE you die cut the words rather than heat embossing each and every little letter!!).

I mounted everything onto a kraft coloured card and then edged the frame with some silver glitter glue and added wee dots of the same glitter glue to the letters and to the centers of the brads on the poinsettias.  There you go, a Christmas card embossed within an inch of it's life, Mission Emboss-ibility accomplished!

I am going to have lots of fun this week as I am taking an on-line class called 'Stretch Your Dies' with Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner.

Really looking forward to learning new ways to use my die cuts and I've already learned lots on Day 1 in the class about word dies.  I have some homework to do for the class so I'll post some pictures as I get my projects completed.  All of the word dies I have right now are Christmas related but I have some of Tim Holtz's new word dies heading my way from the The Funky Junkie Boutique so hopefully they will get here soon so I can use them in my 'homework'.

Thanks as always for stopping by and have a great week everyone, happy creating!

Deb

17 comments:

  1. I really like this card. All that embossing paid off big, It's beautiful. Glad to hear you didn't have much damage from that storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embossalicious ... love all of the awesome texture ... so glad you joined us for Mission EMBOSS-ible at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the congrats Deb, a big congrats to you as well!! Love your holiday card, your poinsettias are so big and lush, wonderful snowy frame too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Christmas card Deb and I love your heat embossing on your folder, looks great.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is absolutely stunning! Those poinsettias are gorgeous, and the embossing is fantastic. Great job with this weeks jingle belles challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, well done with the Pinworthy and the Christmas card is gorgeous.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty-- like the pinkish color a lot. Glad you were spared any wind damage. Sounds scary! Congrats on your "pin" too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! And congratulations! I'm very glad to hear all is well after the storm, it sounds terrifying. Hope the weather soon improves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely Christmas card with a beautiful and unusual colour scheme. Many congratulations on your 'pin'. I love to look at all the beautiful projects on the Vintage Journey Blog. So glad you survived the storm OK. Take Care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, so, it turns out that it takes my silly pun to a whole new level of fab when ppl actually remember the original show from which i stole the title... and then also provide the THEME TUNE (which will probably be stuck in my head all day now, lol!)! :) :) :) & then it turns out that you've also made an INCREDIBLY lovely card which uses multiple types of embossing in totally brilliant ways, as well! yowza! thanks for ROCKIN' our JINGLE BELLES "mission" in a big, big way!!! <3 (ps: this comment will hopefully NOT self-destruct in 5 seconds!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those poinsettias are absolutely gorgeous--what a beautiful card, Deb!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb, that was a scary storm...it was the trees that shook me the most. The wind came from all directions, and never seemed to stop. Glad to hear that you got your power on quickly!

    Your card is lovely, you are the queen of stamping that's for sure.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your card Deb! The embossing turned out great! I was never into the whole embossing thing, but I've just now started to embrace it. I've tried it out with several cards I've made and have been happy with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning poinsettias, and I love how they look against the kraft card - love the dry/heat embossed frame!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo