Thursday, March 26, 2015

Two, Two, Two Cards In One!

Hello, hope this finds you all well.  I promised to show you a few of the cards that I made in the 'Stretch Your Dies' online class I was taking, so here they are.

This first congratulations card uses both the negative and the positive images that you get after cutting your dies.  You can, in effect, make two cards at the same time that have two very different looks.  I've used my negative images from my die cuts as stencils before but hadn't thought to make a card from them, it's a great idea!


I used Tim Holtz's 'Shape Strips' dies for the chevrons and the stars and used Tim's 'Alphanumeric' die set for the letters.


For the negative die cut card, I backed the black card stock with some silver embossed cardstock behind the chevrons and some gold embossed card stock behind the stars. The word 'congrats' just has some plain white cardstock behind to make the word pop.  I edged the card with a little silver glitter glue for some sparkle after mounting it onto the card blank.


For the positive die cut card, I made the background by layering several colours of yellow distress ink (Squeezed Lemonade, Scattered Straw, Mustard Seed and Wild Honey) then did a little spritz and flick and sprinkled on some Tarnished Brass distress spray and some Heidi Swapp Color Shine Tinsel spray.  I then VERY carefully picked up the positive die cuts out of the dies (hint: use a piece of micro-pore tape, works like a charm!) and glued them to the background.  I edged this card with some copper glitter glue after adding the background to the card blank.  I won't lie, this version of the card was more than a bit fiddly to do but I really like the end result.

I also made this thank you card that combined a couple of the techniques we were taught.


I colored some watercolour paper with distress inks (Festive Berries and Picked Raspberry for the flowers and Peeled Paint and Iced Spruce for the tendrils), sprinkled some Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray over top and then die cut the flowers with Tim Holtz's 'Tattered Florals' die and the tendrils with the Sizzix Sizzlits 'Decorative Flourishes' set.  I arranged the flowers and tendrils and then taped them all together (micropore tape again!) and cut out the flowers and tendrils with a Spellbinders Nestabilities 'Labels Eight' die.  The shaped flowers were glued onto a blank card and I then cut out the next largest size of the 'Labels Eight' die from black card stock and glued it around the flowers to make a frame. The sentiment was embossed with white embossing powder onto another piece of black cardstock and mounted on pop dots over the flowers.  I added a dollop of silver glitter glue to the centers of the smaller flowers and some stick on gems to the centers of the larger flowers.  Love how it turned out!

That's it for now, thanks as always for stopping by and have a great evening everyone!  Happy creating,

Deb

11 comments:

  1. Really nice! Love the yummy pinky color of your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good "twofer" - and your two for the price of one cards are fabulous. Love the positive and the negative versions, but the splatters on the yellow background might just win it for me! Love the bold black framing of those pretty flowers too - looks like a great class, with great results.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are great. Awesome idea to use both the positive and negative images. You must have tons of patience to place all those pieces of the chevron. I've never heard of micro-pore tape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute designs and colors.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crowning you the Queen of Creativity, and Frugality!. Now you have two cards in probably the time it takes to make one...now that's a great idea.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two, Two, Two Times the AWESOMENESS!! Fab 'congrats' cards, Deb! Aren't the Online Card Classes great! I've taken a couple of their classes and they are always jam-packed full of info and fun! You've done good, grasshopper!! :) LOL!! :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Deb! Love your little congrats cards and your thank you card is just stunning! Love the vibrant pinks against the black and those flowers are so pretty! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Deb this is a great idea, and you've got 2 fab cards here. Thanks for the tip about the micro-pore 'cos those little die cuts sure do look fiddly :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cards are really great! I love the bright colours, Deb! I never know what to do with die cuts, you have outdone yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That truly is a great idea and I never thought of it either. Both of your cards are fab! I love the warm, vibrant colors! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo