Tuesday, March 3, 2015

You're The One

Happy March everyone!  March started out like a lamb here but got decidedly more feline yesterday; the temperature dropped, gusting winds, flurries of snow and sheets of hail before reverting back to a rather chilly lamb today.  I do love March weather in Canada though, if you don't like it wait 10 seconds and it will do a 180.

I have a postcard to share with you today, it was inspired by the current challenge at A Vintage Journey which is 'Special Numbers'.  I used the postcard format for the SPA 'Anything Goes' challenge but this particular very special postcard will most probably end up as an album cover for my hubby.  The AVJ challenge of 'Special Numbers' had me spinning my wheels a bit until one day, at the end of February, my DH mentioned to me that we had met 32 years ago on that day!  I did a double and triple take, did some mental math and realized he was right - how in the heck did that happen?!  But that very special number crystallized in my mind what I wanted to make for the 'Special Numbers' challenge and here it is.

(Edited to add:  So honoured that my postcard was chosen as a Pinworthy Mention at A Vintage Journey!
 Thank you so much to the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey, very excited :O)
I incorporated not only the number '32' for our years together but also added in our birth dates and a little play on words by adding the 'Twogether' sentiment along with 'One heart'.  The quote 'You're the one I want to go through time with' is from the song 'Time In a Bottle' by Jim Croce which has always been a sentimental favourite of mine.


It is also a very true statement about how I feel about my DH, I couldn't imagine being without him!


I stenciled the background of the postcard with some hearts and the Tim Holtz 'Clockwork' layered stencil using Old Paper Distress paint, then over that colored it with Distress stains in Gathered Twigs, Vintage Photo, Broken China and Salty Ocean.  I then overstamped with some stamps from Tim Holtz's 'Life's Possibilites' clear stamp set and 'Bird Feather' in Wendy Vecchi Watering Can Archival ink.  I die cut two of the 'Weathered Clock' dies and colored one with Old Paper Distress paint.  The other die cut was colored using a Tattered Angels Tarnished Silver spray set.  I mounted the silver colored clock on top with some little snippets of black fun foam to give it some dimension and used a Tim Holtz long brad for the clock hands.  All of the sentiments were created on the computer and cut out by hand.


I struggled with the darn number 32!  I used some new Ransom Alpha Parts that I just bought at Simon Says Stamp as I wanted the number to have some dimension. I colored them as Tim had done for his January tag with some Tarnished Brass Distress paint but it wasn't working with the background at all.  So I mucked about with them, adding and removing various colors, until I just ended up sanding most of the colors back and coating them with some Glossy Accents.  The number 1 was stamped with Jet Black archival ink and embossed with clear embossing powder and the number 27 was die cut from the Boardwalk Decorative Strip die, then colored with black embossing ink and clear embossing powder.


The number 11 was stamped and embossed the same way as the number 1 and the number 16 was a die cut that I treated the same as the number 27.


I am going to use this postcard as the cover of a mini album that I'm going to make for my hubby, commemorating our 32 years together (so far!).  I have to dig through all of our pictures yet but can't wait to make it and give it to him.  His birthday isn't until November so don't know if I'll be able to wait that long to give it to him ... although, knowing me (the procrastination Queen!) it will probably take me that long to put it all together so perhaps that is a good thing!  (I keep telling myself that I work best under pressure :O)

I am linking this postcard up with:

'Special Numbers' - A Vintage Journey
'Anything Goes' - Sunday Postcard Art
'Anything Goes' - Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog
'Anything Goes' - Country View Challenges

Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that March will start behaving like a lamb no matter where you may be.  Happy creating everyone,

Deb

Products used in this project:

27 comments:

  1. I love it and thanks for sharing your tips and techniques. My hubby and I celebrated out anniversary over the weekend and when we opened our cards from each other....they were almost alike! Sweet! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- super job! Nice that it has such special meaning too. Love that Jim C song by the way (I have that on an LP!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a work of art! Your time piece is perfect to commensurable the time you have with your hubby! Time in A Bottle is such a timeless and beautiful song! It always takes me back to the time when I was growing up...thanks so much for sharing! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia and thanks for another fun challenge at SSS Wednesday challenge blog!

      Delete
  4. Hello Deb,
    This is absolutely gorgeous and it is going to be treasured by you both as it will remind you of all those years together.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool!!!! Great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb, that's just fab. And The sentiment really resonates, 'Time in a Bottle' is one of my all time favourites, so thanks for sharing the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet, Deb! I love the "Twogether"! I love that song, "two"! Wow! 32 years of marital bliss! Good for you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara and we haven't actually been married that long, it was just the 'anniversary' of the day we met so many moons ago LOL! Thanks for the good wishes :O)

      Delete
  8. Holy fiddlesticks Deb, this is beyond fantastic!! I am just loving the amazing texture on your clock (any chance of a tutorial on that one?). Wonderful background, such a fabulous masculine make!! Happy 32nd sort-of Anniversary!! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamellia! The clock finish was just done with a set of 'Bare Metal - Tarnished Silver' sprays that I had in my stash by Tattered Angels. It's a four step system (the set comes with instructions); you paint with soft pewter first, then spray Sterling glimmer spray while it's still wet, followed by Iron chalkboard spray (wet on wet again) then a bit of Decadence chalkboard spray here and there. It would be more effective on a solid piece, the inside of my spray box looks amazing LOL! There's a link in the Thumlinky below to the Tattered Angels site so you can keep an eye out for them on your next shopping spree :O)

      Delete
  9. Way way way cool! Love the clock and background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so sweet! All those elements reminding of your journey together. This postcard is perfect. I'm sure your husband will love this postcard.
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Deb you make amazing stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful creation Deb (love the song too), your background is fantastic and I love the treatment you gave to the clock face - and the twogether is so clever! Beautiful work. Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at A Vintage Journey! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is really neat. You do come up with some great creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 32 years together is awesome and so is your postcard. I absolutely love that Jim Croce song

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great card, love all the details, the colours and the way you have played with the numbers.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is amazing, I really like the colours and how you've tied all the special meanings together. Love this song too! Have a fab weekend , Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and hope you have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  17. I love this Deb both for the wonderful art and techniques but also for it's sentimental value too. How lovely your husband had remembered how many years you had been together and I love how you have incorporated it i(and other special numbers) into your fabulous project. I am sure this will become a very special mini album when it's finished.
    Thanks for linking it to A Vintage Journey.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brenda, my hubby is a pretty amazing guy and I do hope he'll like the album when it is finished :O) Thank you for stopping by and for another wonderful challenge at AVJ!

      Delete
  18. Your beautiful projects make me want to pull out all of my crafting supplies and create. You are always inspiring, and so full of creativity that it makes me wonder what you are going to come up with next. I also love the sentiment that you used...beautiful.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Deb this is a joy to see! I love it when projects become so personal as inevitably the love that's poured into their creation is intensified and shines through. So creative, so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  20. well NO WONDER this was considered "pin worthy"!!! soooooooooooo totally AWESOME! <3

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo