Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Boy And His Dog

Hello!  Hope this finds you all well.  I am in a great frame of mind today, the sun is shining and the thermometer is reading 24 C (75 F), the hummingbirds are buzzing about and the daffodils are in bloom.  Ahhhh, what a difference a couple of days make!

And on an even brighter note, my muse has returned from her walkabout. just in time for me to complete my project for A Vintage Journey's current challenge 'Through The Looking Glass'.  Julia is the host for this month's challenge and here is her brief:

'Let's make a project involving glass (acetate?) or mirrors (metal sheet?), perhaps a window or a clock face, a hand held mirror or glass bottle.  Tim has lots of Idea-ology products and dies that would be just the thing for this challenge.'

I thought long and hard on this one and it wasn't until I came upon a photo booth picture of a young boy and his dog in Tim's 'Thrift Shop' Ephemera pack that an idea began to crystallize.  From that picture the idea of creating a window, peeking into the world of that young boy, began to emerge.  So I set to work altering a box that I had in my stash, cutting out the 'window' in the front of it and adding a piece of acetate packaging to simulate the glass and filling it with that wonderful picture and lots of ephemera and bits and bobs.

(Edited to add:  So honoured that my shadow box window was chosen as a Pinworthy Mention at A Vintage Journey!
 Thank you so much to the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey, I am thrilled :O)
 The acetate made it a bit hard to photograph, so I temporarily removed it to give you a better look at what I put inside by shadow box window.


The box was painted inside and out with 'Walnut Stain' distress paint and I then stenciled the outside with Tim's 'Gothic' layering stencil and 'Old Paper' distress paint.  I edged the window cutout with some 'Elements' tissue tape, made the label on PicMonkey using a vintage label image from The Graphics Fairy and added the 'Genuine' muse token at the top.


There is something about that picture that just tugs at my heartstrings!  I framed it with a little frame I got at Michael's that I aged with some 'Vintage Photo' distress paint.


I decided to fill the shadow box with things that you would find in this young boy's life, here you can see his bicycle and a pinwheel (I'll add all the image sources at the bottom of this post).


His favourite book, The ABC's of Animals, and his favourite alphabet flash card (D for dog of course!).  And what young boy doesn't love to fly his kite and play with a ball?


On rainy days you still need something to do, so just behind his photo you can spy a gameboard and a game spinner.  Of course, school is also something that fills his days, so the inside of the box was lined with a vintage report card.


And here's a look at the backside, I just love that gothic stencil!


Thanks to A Vintage Journey for this wonderful challenge, I do love how this little shadow box window turned out and am so glad I was able to showcase that great picture of the young boy and his pup.


Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that you are having a wonderfully creative start to your week too.  Keep thinking Spring everyone!

Deb

Image sources used in this shadow box:

Label frame and bicycle flash card from The Graphics Fairy
Young boy photo booth picture, game board, '25' token and The ABC of Animals book cover from Tim Holtz Ideaology 'Thrift Shop' Ephemera pack.
Vintage report card and 'D' flash card from Crafty Secrets 'Vintage Typography' CD.
Pinwheel image from 'Playful' scrapbook mini by Sara Gleason, Plant Your Story.
Game spinner by Cathe Holden via Worldlabel.com.
Kite was hand cut using Tim Holtz's 'Destination' paper stash.
Vintage ball is a photograph of a ball I have in my collection :O)

31 comments:

  1. Your shadow box is fantastic Deb, I love the gothic stenciling, the little boy and his dog in the frame, all the wonderful ephemera you added and the wonderful little back story. Your mojo has most definitely returned! Thanks so much for joining in our Throught the Looking Glass challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful creation, Deb! I absolutely adore all those fun details! Great job and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well when your creative muse comes back in comes back full force. This is fabulous. I love all the little things you tucked inside there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadow boxes are so fun! Great job! Glad your weather has improved. Still cool here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bam! Your muse is back and must have gotten a pay raise! This is so awesome sauce and I do love the story you have created about the lad and his pup. Darling! Way to go Deb! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks so much Niki! I see by your latest lovely project on your blog that your muse has returned from her walkabout too :O) Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. The photo is a perfect focus for this clever project Deb. Glad it's warmed up - you're hotter than we are now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Deb this is fabulous - it must be something to do with the weather lol. I really love your box, it's full of yumminess xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shadow box Deb! This image is my favourite too and looks wonderful in the little frame. Beautifully done! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous altered box, Iove the stencilling and I adore how you were inspired by the imagery. Fantastic piece of art . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shadow box, really love the boy and his dog. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic work of art!!! Love all the details inside this box and gorgeous damask stencil (my go to stencil) I am your new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samra and thanks for following my blog, just returned the favour, your cards are just gorgeous!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful project inspired by a small photo of a boy and his dog - love all the ephemera - your wonderful story and all the decorative stenciling and painting Deb! thank you so much for joining us in the AVJ Through the Looking Glass challenge! hugs, Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning shadow box Debs and so many wonderful details. The little boy and his dog look great within your lovely frame and you have put lots of thought in to the ephemera you used. Great to have you on board with us at AVJ this month.

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie, I always am inspired by the challenges at AVJ!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous Debs, such an original shadow box! Just love all the elements you added to it, so boy like and clever, - love it!
    Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at AVJ!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Deb, I love this. A stunning project full of nostalgia and so beautifully made.
    Thanks for joining in the challenge at AVJ and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the ABC and the old bike. This is so neat put together...very nostalgic! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, this is just supercalafragalistic! If your muse was once taking a break, it is ready for action now! Love every single detail you have included to showcase this photo, the box and the gorgeous stenciling. The kite is just sweet, and I love that you really put your heart into this piece. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Sara! That picture really spoke to me and the rest just flowed after I saw it. Thanks for your kind words :O)

      Delete
  18. Stunning! You absolutely amaze me with your creativity Deb!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully creative Deb, I love how the story is told with images, and text, it draws us along the path as it tells the story.

    And wasn't the weather just stunning? Oh...to be warm again.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving your shadow box. I am about to make one myself but couldn't decide where to start so this has been really helpful reading how you decided what to do. Thank you so much for sharing this project with us.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela and glad I was able to help, can't wait to see what you create inside your shadow box!

      Delete
  21. I love your windowful of memorabilia, Deb - so brilliantly conceived and executed - each element in its place and evoking such an atmosphere of nostalgia for the good old days. Fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deb this is awesome! Love it! Blessings,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Huge congratulations on your Pinworthy at AVJ this month, Deb! Sooooo, soooo well deserved! And I'm so proud of you! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara, I am so excited to have been chosen by the creative guides at A Vintage Journey, what an honour!

      Delete
  24. HUGE congratulations on your Pinworthy at AVJ!!! So well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samra, still doing a happy dance here LOL!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo