Saturday, April 25, 2015

Life Is Beautiful

Hello everyone!  Sorry for being MIA, my muse has gone on a walkabout and I've been in a bit of a creative funk lately.  Think it has to do with the rotten weather we've been dealing with, it snowed this morning for Pete's sake!  But I decided I had to buckle down and get something done since the end of the month is fast approaching and deadlines are looming.  So I dove into making my April Tim Holtz inspired project for his 12 Tags of 2015 and here it is.

(Edited to add: I am so thrilled that my card was chosen as one of Tim Holtz's April winners!
 Thank you so much Tim, very excited and honoured :O)
I decided to make a card this month instead of a tag and I won't go into too many details as you can visit Tim's post (click here) to find out the 'how to'.  I did have to make a few alterations on mine as I didn't have all of the supplies he used but I am pretty happy with the result.


The biggest change I had to make was hand drawing the flowers since I don't have the beautiful 'Flower Garden' stamp set yet.  I think just drawing those lovely cone flowers put me in a better mood since they made me think of summer :O)  I also don't have any of the script adventure words dies that Tim used on his tag, so I decided to make a little hang tag using the 'Tiny Tabs and Tags' die and added the lettering using some alphabet stickers.  I then tied it on with some black and white baker's twine.


I did have the 'Adventure Words:Block' die set (yay!) so used Tim's technique to die cut the word 'beautiful' and slid the watercolour paper in behind it.  I love this effect, don't you?  I can see using it for lots of projects down the road.

As I sat admiring my card a thought suddenly occurred to me; there is no way this card is going to fit inside the Tim tag mini album I made especially for all of the 12 Tags of 2015.  Doh!  So back to the drawing board I went and this time created an actual tag using Tim's April techniques. (Edited to add: I updated the picture of this tag after adding the sewing and the typed token, much better!)


I used a #8 kraft hang tag, Tim's 'Adventure Words:Block' die set and a great hot air balloon stamp that I got at Michael's a couple of weeks ago.  I added the words 'be daring' from Tim's 'Words' remnant rubs and drew a few 'birds' flying about the balloon with a Pigma pen.


 The stitching around the edges really does make a difference on this tag but it still needed a little something so I added the 'wander' Typed Token on an Idea-ology loop pin that I colored with alcohol inks and Distress paint.  Whew, now I have a tag using Tim's April techniques to put in my album :O)

Now that I've kick started myself I hope to have a few more makes to share with you soon.  I really want to enter the current challenge at A Vintage Journey called 'Through The Looking Glass' so will have to get a move on and get my project finished.  Thanks as always for stopping by and hope the sun is shining and the snow is NOT falling where ever you may be.  Happy creating!

Deb

34 comments:

  1. What a great technique. I love the look of that. I may have to give that a try. I can relate to having your muse go on a walkabout because I think mine may have done the same thing :) I've got ideas rolling around in my head but trying to get them any further has been a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow?! Ugh! A card is a nice idea (except for not fitting in your album, LOL). Really like both projects. Those die cut words are cool for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow Deb, I am blown away that you drew those flowers...WHAT!!! I never would have realized that it wasn't a stamp if you hadn't mentioned it! Girl, you sure are talented!! Amazing! Great job with the watercolouring! Love your balloon version too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both versions, Deb - your hand-drawn flowers are simply wonderful, and the watercolouring is so delicate. I love the balloon version too - even if it was an accidental extra!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The balloon version is great but my favourite is the flowers version.
    Anyway you did an amazing job as always.
    Take care,
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, I love that you just did what you do best in making this card without Tim's stamps. What a wonderful artist you are! I was totally fooled into thinking they were Tim's stamps! Both your card and tag are fabulous pieces! I hope your creative juice starts flowing again! It seems it is already in high gear! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara, you are very kind :O) I hope that my muse gets back from her walk about soon, I am missing her!

      Delete
  7. Totally beautiful cards. I like the flower card, how it is both drawn, colored and the layered frame on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that card with the sunflower on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers and holy moly! A tag and a card! Fan-freak-tastic makes there Deb! I love that you used what you had on hand, pun intended! I do believe my muse and your muse must be talking a long walk together, talking about how much we work them! lol! Happy to see your funk may be over. Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Niki :O) I hope our muses both come back refreshed and ready to dive into new projects, think they've been on holidays long enough!

      Delete
  10. Your mojo doesn't look far travelled to me. These are beautiful and your hand drawn flowers are seriously good.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both wonderful, I can't believe you hand drew this flower, and your delicate shading is beautiful. Seems to me that Mr Mojo is back! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I really enjoyed Tim's tag challenge this month but do have to get my hands on those floral stamps, they are so pretty :O)

      Delete
  12. Hi Deb, just catching up a bit. Love the card. It's great to see the range of ideas people have had with this project.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela and it is wonderful to see where Tim's ideas take everyone isn't it? Love your take on his tag this month, it's a lovely card!

      Delete
  13. Both of these of gorgeous! LOVE the balloon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO PLEASED for your Tim win Deb! What a fab way to start the weekend! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely, congrats on your Tim Holtz win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lagene, I am so excited to have won!

      Delete
  16. Your card is lovely! Congrats on you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy and congratulations to you as well for your April win!

      Delete
  17. YOUR MUSE IS COME BACK IN FULL FORCE.... wow - hand drawn and they look soooooooo much like Tim's. Blow me over. Wow. BIG BIG BIG Congrats - you deserve it. The tag is awesome - both of them are. j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joi, I still can't quite believe I won LOL!

      Delete
  18. Woo Hoo, Deb! I couldn't have been more excited if I had won myself! A HUGE Congratulations on a job well done! I'm so very proud of you! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara, it is a dream come true that is for darn sure!

      Delete
  19. YAY YAY YAY DEB!!! Congrats on your April Tim tag win!! WOO HOO indeed!! I just love it when I know the people who win Tim's challenge!! Way to Go!! You'll be dancing again when you receive the package of goodies from Tim & Mario!! Happy Weekend!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love both versions, Deb! Congratulations on you Tim tag win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your April tag win...I love both projects. Your drawing of the flowers is fantastic...just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kimberly, I'm still doing a happy dance here :O)

      Delete
  22. Congratulations! Your card and your tag are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christy, it was a wonderful surprise!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo