Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Card For Mom

Happy hump day everyone, hope your week is going well.  I've been working on some Mother's Day cards and gifts this week as Sunday is Mother's Day here in Canada.  I can't show you what I made for my Mom as she does read my blog (Hi Mom!) but I can share the card I made for my mother-in-law.

The first thing you need to know about my MIL is that she is an AMAZING gardener.  Her yard is bursting with colour and beauty every growing season and her roses and peonies are prize winning - literally prize winning, she has won many awards in local flower shows for her beautiful blossoms.  So when I thought about a card to make for her, some papers with a floral theme definitely had to be included and the first thing I thought of was the 'Botanical Tea' collection from Graphic 45.  I just have the 8 x 8 pad but it worked perfectly for this easel card.


I made the card using a tutorial I found on YouTube by Splitcoast Stampers as I'd never made an easel card before but I will now be making many more, I love them!  Kraft cardstock was used for my base and some of that gorgeous Botanical Tea paper was used  for the background.  It is so lovely that I didn't want to cover it up too much, so I cut a label with my Spellbinders Labels 8 die, handstamped and embossed 'Mom' on it and then cut some teeny tiny hearts using Tim Holtz's 'Shape Strips' die.  The rose was one I round at Michaels and I gently edged the petals with some Tea Stain distress ink.   The little butterfly was a $1 Store find and I coloured it with more distress ink in 'Spun Sugar' and 'Tattered Rose'.  You can't see it in the picture but I also added some Wink Of Stella to the hearts, the rose and the butterfly, I just got that pen and love how it adds just a subtle shimmer.


The inside has more Botanical Tea loveliness, the pinked striped paper on the top was overlaid with another handstamped Spellbinders Labels 8 die and I used the bird and floral stamp borders as well as a label  included in the Botanical Tea collection as my 'stopper' along the bottom edge.  The paper in the middle is courtesy of Astrid MacLean and I resized it and made it transparent so my hubby can write his Mother's Day message to his Mom.


Here's the card set up into it's easel position, I love how it turned out.


And here is a side view so you can see the 'mechanics' of the card, they make a beautiful display I think.  If you haven't made an easel card before give it a go, they are very easy to construct and the results are quite lovely.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and I will stop in again to show you what I made for my Mom as soon as she receives her parcel.  Got you wondering now Mom, don't I?!  Have a great week everyone and happy crafting!

Deb

19 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! This card is really beautiful. And i'm sure the one for your mother is going to be beautiful as well.
    Take care,
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous Deb!!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty card that is. I've never made an easel card before. I'll have to give it a try if I ever get my motivation back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, this card is gorgeous. What a special gift~

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! I am so glad you showed the card from the side as I had no idea what an easel card was - now I do, and it's wonderful! I have some kraft card-stock myself, so will be looking for that tutorial - I'd love to make a card like that for my mom but she reads my blog as well so it makes it difficult sometimes - I'll start posting about something I'm making and just at the last remember it will spoil the surprise.
    Thanks so much for the inspiration and the info Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great card and love how you have decorated the inside x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful easel card Deb! Your 3d flower matches the paper perfectly, how gorgeous is that!!! Love your layered butterfly, no feminine project is really ever complete without the token butterfly I say!! Your MIL will be over the moon to receive this beauty! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Those papers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a delightful card, so feminine and pretty, I especially love the paper, I'm going to have to find a scrapbooking store near here and search for that line. I have never seen a easel card before, but they are adorable...what a great idea.

    Don't feel bad about your lagging lilacs, ours have just started, but downtown they are blooming for almost a full month already...and in the almost big city? Well....they are probably done for...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Love all the pink! Can't wait to see what you do for your mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Deb. Easel cards are so easy to make but always look just that bit extra special.
    This is a lovely mother's Day card. Thanks for the visit and your kind comment.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! The easel cards are so easy to make, I was surprised when I saw the video and am wondering why it took me so long to make one LOL! Thanks for stopping by & commenting. Deb xo

      Delete
  12. This is beautiful Deb, your MIL is sure to love it! Have a very happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love easel cards - they are so impressive when standing! What a lovely floral card for your gardener MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Deb, this is pure loveliness! ( I hope we get to see your Mother's Day card after you give it to her.) You have such a lovely style, it makes me think of Shabby Chic, which I always loved. Those little hearts are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Deb, the card is lovely! Your mother and Mother in law will be so proud and will cherish their cards for years. hugs Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely GORGEOUS. What a wonderful card to cherish forever, your MIL will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so pretty - what a gorgeous pink rose - and I bet your mother-in-law loved it.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo