Sunday, May 17, 2015

Jumping Into The Colour Pool

Happy Sunday everyone, hope you are having a lovely holiday weekend.  In typical Victoria Day long weekend style, it is raining and cool here in B.C.  It always seems to be that this first long weekend of the 'summer' ends up rainy no matter how glorious the weather before it's arrival.  Lots of people will be dumping water off of their tarps and packing up wet sleeping bags come Monday as they return from their inaugural camping trips.  Ahh, life in the great outdoors LOL!

Since hubby is working this weekend, there is no camping taking place here so I decided to sign up for Marjie Kemper's online class at Craftsy; 'Inventive Ink - Colorful Mixed Media Effects'.  As I have stated many times, colour scares the livin' bejesus out of me so thought this would be a good way to get me to jump into the colour pool, with both feet!  I've only watched the first video and part of the second (I am burning through my monthly internet download allowance at an alarming rate watching the videos so am having to pace myself!) but decided to dive right in and get colourful.


I can't begin to tell you how far outside my comfort zone this is!  But it is also amazingly liberating to throw caution to the wind and ink up those tags and gasp! an art journal page with bright, intense colours.


Here's a finished tag, I have a niece and a nephew graduating from high school this year so think this will become part of one of their graduation cards.

And then, I actually broke open one of my multiple art journals that I have in my stash, I buy them on a routine basis when they are on sale at Michaels, but have NEVER put ink to paper on a single one.  Something about those multiple, blank white pages just paralyzes me, I can't think where to start!  But I want to journal so badly, I see the amazing work being done by so many others (check out Brenda Brown's 'Visual Journey' journal pages blog hop for a tiny taste of the art journal goodness out there!) and so I opened up a (small) journal to a random white page in the middle of the book (the first page was much too scary!) and started inking, stamping and painting.


Where's it going from here?  Haven't a darn clue but it is a start and it feels great!  And amazingly enough, it wasn't scarey at all once I got that first swipe of Mustard Seed distress ink on the page ;O)  Here's a link to the trailer on YouTube for Marjie's class, go check it out and then head over to Craftsy and get colourful!

And speaking of colour, the blossoms are starting to burst out around here so I wandered about and took some pictures the other day.  The beautiful flowering almond is one of the first to appear, it doesn't last long but is so lovely!


And the johnny jump ups are showing their bright faces all around the yard, such a cheerful little flower!


See all the pollen on the petals?  Think the bees have been hard at work already.

And while not colourful right now, the Saskatoon berry bushes are loaded with blossoms so hopefully we will have a bounty of beautiful purple berries soon.


Have a great weekend everyone, I'll leave you with another colourful picture, this one of a lovely Rufous hummingbird at the feeder, love these wee birds so much.  Happy creating!


15 comments:

  1. Very nice work! I started an art journal about three months ago, but I keep it simple, markers and cut paper. It's fun once you get into it. Lovely flower photos! Great shot of your bird friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shiver me timbers there Deb! Wowzers on the vibrant color and give yourself a pat on the back! This is a truly awesome sauce tag and journal spread you have created! I could see this becoming a breakout session for you and colors. Amazeballs! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Niki! I'm having fun and finding out colour isn't near as scary as I thought it was :O)

      Delete
  3. Well done - you took a big leap - colour and breaking open a pristine journal! Just relax, enjoy and have fun. Remember your journal is for you - you can choose to show what you want to , or keep it private if you don't want - and in the end - it's paper. You can always gesso, collage etc over anything you aren't happy with. I think this will open up a whole world of new possibilities and I'm so pleased for you! ( Nature pics are fab btw!) Happy Victoria Day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A post full of fabulous colour, Deb! Lovely to see how you're already playing with Marjie's amazing inspiration (I signed up but it's going to have to wait for a gap in the schedule!) - and the page is already looking exciting. It really doesn't matter where it goes from here, but you'll know when you know! And the tag is amazing. Lovely nature photos - if anybody does colour as well as Marjie, it's Mother Nature!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been a bit scared of color too and a blank page to me was always the opportunity to screw something up. Once I started reading different blogs about art journaling I finally realized that I needed to just do it and have fun. Even if it didn't turn out great it was just for me and there was some kind of learning process that went with it.
    Your tag is great and I love the start of your journal page. I think you have a knack for it but then with your talent that doesn't surprise me

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! Crafting on a dreary weekend is the best thing to do!! And, it's pretty much guilt free :) :) Marjie's class is fun!! I'm taking it too--well, trying to with intermittent internet issues, darn it! I've started her classes, but I haven't gotten through to the end yet :) I'll get there :) Oh, don't be scared of that first AJ page, Deb :) :) My type-a personality won't let me start anywhere but that first page! LOL :) :) Love that bright and bold tag!! Fab!!
    Thanks for sharing your nature pics!! I love your hummingbird photo! They are my favorite birds!!
    Have a Wonderful week!! Hope you get in more guilt-free crafty time :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, wowweeee love those colours. I never start at the front page of a journal it's just too scary and intimidating. My art teacher at school encouraged us to always move on a page or so before starting and I stuck with that when teaching my pupils. Look forward to seeing how it develops. Happy arty crafty stuff, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela and glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way about the first page LOL! Your art teacher was a very smart cookie because it definitely helps to move in a few pages, silly as that seems :O)

      Delete
  8. Deb, thank you so much for the shout-out and for sharing your gorgeous art. These backgrounds are stunning. I am thrilled you have started art journaling and I hope you get a ton of enjoyment out of it. Many thanks for the endorsement and the link... you're a doll to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love all of your bright colours Deb, and well done you for inking up your art journal. Great idea to start in the middle, wish I had thought of that a few times, maybe I would have kept going lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Deb, and color is a inspiring medium to work with...I'm looking forward to all that you are creating. Funny how we go through stages of muted, bright, shaded colors...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, love how you just jump in and try different things, and it turned out beautiful. Love all of your pretty flowers, the hummingbird is adorable. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apologies for the late visit, I am playing catch-up after being on holiday. Wowzers, this tag is bright and extremely beautiful, you should use colour more often! I love your journal page too, like you I find it intimidating but you have inspired me with your gorgeous page - I may even have a go now! Beautiful work Deb! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the nature pictures, particularly Mrs. Rufus. ;o))) They are buzzing my workroom window again and so much fun to watch..

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo