Sunday, May 3, 2015

Merry Christmas Time In May

Hello everyone, hope you had a wonderful weekend.  The sun was shining here but it's still a little chilly, hopefully the temperatures will start to pick up soon.  The hummingbirds have arrived despite the cool temperatures and our two feeders are alive with whirring wings and darting beaks.  I'll try and get some pictures for you over the next few days, they are speedy little guys so you have to be quick!

I worked on a card today to link up with the latest challenge at the Jingle Belles blog.  Steph and Lauren challenged us to make a Christmas card based on this layout sketch.


While I was contemplating what to do, I got an email in my inbox for a video by Dawns Inspiration and in it she made a gatefold card (actually she made a back double gatefold card to be precise).  And all at once, the Jingle Belles sketch and the idea of a gatefold card came together in my mind and so I made a 'Merry Christmas Time' gatefold gift card holder.


As I was watching Dawn's video, it occurred to me that there was an opportunity to create a pocket at the back of the card when you glued the two pieces of gate folded cardstock together.  So I just glued the edges along the bottom and the sides when I joined the two pieces and formed a pocket that I could slide a tag into to hold a gift card.


I had to add the Tim Horton's gift card because I'm Canadian, eh?!  The papers I used were Heidi Swapp 'Believe' paper pad and American Crafts 'Hot Cocoa'.


The leaping deer is a Memory Box die and the circle he is mounted on was cut with a Sizzix Circles die.  The Dec 25 stamp on the right side is from a Hot Fudge Studio 'Love & Joy' stamp set and the sentiment on the inside is one I've had in my stash for years.


Aren't all of these little tags wonderful?  They are from the Heidi Swapp paper pad.


I cut them out and layered them on both sides of the gatefold, alternating the colours and sentiments.


I added some silver stickles along the edges where the papers meet and also around the stamped greeting on the front.  I've never made a gatefold card before and wasn't sure how to keep it from springing open so I added a small velcro dot on the back of the circle behind the deer which worked well.  I'm sure there is a clever way to close them without the use of velcro so please let me know in the comments if you've made one before!

Thanks to the Jingle Belles for another fun prompt and also to Dawn's Inspiration for her video that helped inspired this card.  Have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. What a great looking card. Aside from the gift card tucked in to it the card is a gift itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your interpretation of the sketch, awesome!! The reindeer is such a great focal point for a holiday card! Love the bits of glitter, totally festive Deb! The velcro was such a great idea, I'll be using that one for sure! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Like your paper choices. Neat "tuck in" in the back too-- very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever way to incorporate the sketch into your fun folded design ... love the gift card pocket too ... so very glad you got sketchy with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the cutest Christmas cards I have ever seen, even if it is in May, lol.

    Great job.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow!!! what an amazingly clever version of stephanie's sketch! that double gatefold design is just WAY TOO COOL! and then the inside is equally fab... those tags are fantastic... but then, heidi swapp ALWAYS has a great idea for everything, right?! :) thanks for joining our sketchy fun at JINGLE BELLES, i always love to see what you will do! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous, love this style of card xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it so hard to get my head round Christmas at this time of year... but I love your bold kraft, red, and b&w design - the leaping deer is fabulous against his personal little polka dot background!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo