Saturday, May 30, 2015

Ordinary People May Tim Tag

Nothing like cutting it close right?!  Here it is May 30th and I have just completed my May tag for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015.  But better late than never and I am so happy with how this tag turned out!


I won't go into all of the details on how I made it as Tim has laid that out beautifully on his blog (click here to read his tutorial) and I did have to substitute a few things on mine as I didn't have all the elements that Tim used but I still think it came out fine.

The first substitution was adhering some real burlap to my #8 hang tag as I don't have the textured surfaces that Tim used and then I had to go on a hunt to find a suitable photo booth picture to use on my tag as I didn't have any of Tim's Photobooth Vintage Photos either.  I found a picture of this beautiful young woman on Tumblr and as soon as I saw her, her story started to come together for me.


The year is 1953 and this lovely young woman, who has just graduated from journalism school, is about to embark upon her career.  She is principled and sincere and determined to bravely seek out the truth of the stories she will write as she travels the world.


One of her guiding principles is to always be true; to herself and to the people who's stories she will share.


She is committed to telling the stories of the underprivileged and  destitute of the world and shed light on the truth of their lives.  The mirrored charm was added to represent her determination to always reflect the truth of what it is she sees and hears.


And although there will be many obstacles in her path, she knows that she will prevail if she just remembers these words that her Grandmother taught her - 'Ordinary people can do extraordinary things'.


As always, thank you so much to Tim Holtz for sharing his ideas and techniques that inspired this tag and thank you to you, my blogging friends, for stopping by to view my work.  Have a wonderful Sunday and happy creating!

Deb

28 comments:

  1. Ooh I really like this sentiment Deb. Good job with this tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!!! This is fantastic take on Tim's tag!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tag is just gorgeous! I love all your adaptations too and the wonderful story you tell, it suits the picture of that lady so well! This is a brilliant take on Tim's tag... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your back stories and meaning behind your creations -( and I love the hat she's wearing!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tags, you are just so talented. You did a wonderful job! hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worth the wait! Super job! Like all the layering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, love the story that goes with your photo...that's a movie I would watch! A wonderful version of Tim's tag Deborah! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly marvelously created tag! Her story in words is a bonus for us bloggies too. I have been back through several of your posts and am truly enjoying your art. Oh, where to begin with comments. I must settle for right here, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Tim Tag Deb! I adore her story, makes me want to seek out what she "wrote". Wonderful life you created, such a treat. I love all the layers with your awesome tag!
    hugs,
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim her picture really spoke to me, she is such a beauty!

      Delete
  10. Fabulous tag with great detail and textures! I love your narrative too! What a great discovery that image is: she is so full of vitality and she looks as idealistic as you portray her! She fits brilliantly on your tag too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie Ann, isn't that photo wonderful? Wonder what her life was really like, I always wonder what became of all of these folks who's pictures we see on the internet.

      Delete
  11. This is fab Deb, I love the sentiment that you've chosen for her, and the hessian looks wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an awesome tag and the story that goes with it is great. I really like the burlap for the background

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I just love under the wire, last minute challenge creations, Deb :) And you've put together an amazing version of Tim's May tag!! I love the backstory you've created for this young woman and yes indeed, ordinary people can do extraordinary things!! Good Luck at Tim's!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Deb, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I just wanted to answer your question about the Ecoline products that I have started using. They are a water soluble ink that come in little jars and pack a heck of a colour punch! You only need a drop or two then mist a little water and watch the magic happen. Here is a link for you. hugs

    http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/products/collimage/encres-encreurs-et-etampes/encres/ecoline-watersoluble-ink/298/ECOLINE/

    ReplyDelete
  15. a great tag , love all the details x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun Tim Tag Deb! love the ribbons, the burlap and the great photobooth photo you chose - as well as your story about her! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning take on Tim's tag! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful take on Tim's tag! I love your backstory for the photo...very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your take on Tim's tag for May is stunning! Love all the layers and that filmstrip is fabulous! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this Deb. The story you tell, is one of hope and promise. Don't you love how one simple element, like the photo, can evolve into a whole story...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful interpretation of Tim's tag, love the way it came together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deb, Brilliant tag to go with a brilliant story! Love the photo you found-a real found relative! and how each bit you have added has meaning! Love this tag for so many reasons! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, I really enjoyed Tim's May tutorial, everything I love in one place LOL! Deb xo

      Delete
  23. Your story makes this tag even more awesome sauce! I had to re-read it. Love everything about this! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Niki, glad you enjoyed the tag and the story :O) Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo