Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Very Very Merry Month Of May

Hello, my Mom received the Mother's Day card I made for her so I can share it with you today, love you so much Mom and hope you had a day as special as you are xo

Having just discovered easel cards, I wanted to make a card for Mom that she could display long after Mother's Day has passed, but I also wanted to include a small gift I had made for her.  While looking for tutorials for easel cards on YouTube, I came across a video on making easel cards with drawers incorporated into them and so that is what I made for my Mom.


As some of you may know, my Mom is battling with cancer and so I wanted to include some daffodils and butterflies onto her Mother's Day card.  The daffodil is the symbol for the Canadian Cancer Society and the butterfly is synonymous with hope and renewal so both of these images are very special.  I went back to that beautiful Graphic 45 'Botanical Tea' paper pad to make this easel gift box card and found that lovely vintage James Vick's Sons catalogue cover on line to use as the focal image.


The butterfly was created with an EK Success butterfly layering punch and I die cut the tendrils with a Sizzix 'Decorative Flourish' die and the wee hearts with Tim Holtz's 'Shape Strips' die.  A couple of the daffodils were fussy cut and mounted on pop dots to give the card a little more dimension and the butterfly and the 'mom' label were also mounted onto dimensional tape.  Wish you could see the sparkle in the pictures, I used some glitter glue on the butterflies wings and the Wink Of Stella brush on most everything else and it just shimmers beautifully.


Mom was quite taken with the little matchbook notebooks I made a while back, so I included one in the drawer for her and then she can use the drawer to store some wee treasures.


I used the same paper on the inside of the card that I used for my MIL's Mother's Day card, courtesy of Astrid MacLean, to write my message to my Mom on and stamped the 'family' sentiment onto the easel card stopper as my Mom is the heart of our family.


I used one of Tim Holtz's 'Custom Fasteners' brads as the pull for the drawer and used the vintage image of the young couple on it since it reminded me so much of pictures I have seen of my Mom and Dad at that same age :O)


Here's a side view of the easel card and I also added papers to the back of the card so it will look pretty no matter where it is displayed.


This wee easel gift box card hardly seems to be enough to thank my Mom for all she has done and continues to do for our family but it was made with so much love and I hope she will be able to feel that across the miles.  Love you Mom!  xoxoxoxoxo

My very, very merry ( and lucky!) month of May is continuing as I just found out that one of my projects was chosen by the creative guides at A Vintage Journey for this month's 'Pinworthy Mentions'! I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the creative guides for choosing my 'A Boy and His Dog' shadow box window; I am so honoured and thrilled, thank you very much.  Congratulations also to Shilpa and That Crazy Chick for their Pinworthy mentions and to Felicie for her Country View Crafts voucher win.

And as if that weren't enough, Alpha Stamps just emailed me to let me know that I won their very generous 'Run Away And Join The Circus' giveaway from last week!  Thank you so much to Leslie at Alpha Stamps for her continuing generosity; if you don't follow their wonderful blog you really must, so many wonderful tutorials, products and inspiration not to mention their amazing giveaways.  Thanks again, can't wait to get that wonderful package and start on my own vintage circus!

Thanks as always for stopping by and I hope that this week is bringing you lots of creativity and energy.  Happy creating!  (And P.S., make sure you stop by tomorrow afternoon for a very important post, so excited to finally be able to share my secret project with you all, see you tomorrow!)

Deb

9 comments:

  1. What a great easel drawer card Deb! LOVE that beautiful interpretation of the design. So pleased you were one of our Pinworthies over at AVJ. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful project! Pretty spring time colors. You really are on a roll with the winnings-- major congrats! Best wishes to your mother too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is gorgeous. What a great card. I bet your mom loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out really good! You come up with the neatest ideas! I am sure your Mom loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely beautiful! I know your mom will prize this! You can just see the loving care you put into making it! And the butterfly is so so pretty! Well, I love everything about it!
    Congrats on your successes, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb!!! That is so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Deb I bet your Mum loved this and what a great keepsake to have on display.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally pinned this baby Deb! LOVE your daffodils and what an amazing design...beautiful and functional! You are amazing girl! Sorry, losing my internet, gotta cut it short today. big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely Deb, a great idea and I bet your Mum loved it xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo