Friday, June 19, 2015

Hitting The Rails

Happy Friday everyone, hope you had a great week.  I've been glued to the television watching the U.S. Open golf tournament at Chambers Bay in Washington state for the last couple of days (what a course!) but have managed to sneak some creative time in during commercial breaks :O)  I made another Father's Day card and this one is for my dear FIL (father-in-law for those of you unfamiliar with that acronym).

I discussed with my hubby what he thought I should do for his Dad; his father is a retired railroad engineer, an accomplished 'gentleman farmer' (he grows the most incredible vegetable gardens you have ever seen!) and was an ardent bee keeper for many years when he had his apple orchard.  I was definitely leaning towards the bee keeping aspect but unfortunately I don't have any lovely bee related stamps or dies so we decided upon a card with a railroad theme.  My FIL hired onto the Canadian National Railway as a very young man, right at the end of the steam engine era, and so that became the focus of this Father's Day card.


I had that wonderful steam engine illustration in my stash courtesy of The Graphics Fairy and my brilliant DH came up with the sentiment, isn't it perfect?!  Good one babe!  I searched online and found the vintage Canadian National Railway poster which I shrunk down on the computer and I raided my stash for the metal gears and flywheels.


I embossed a vintage map of British Columbia with Tim Holtz's Steampunk embossing folder and then highlighted the embossed areas with Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge and Black Soot Distress ink and distressed and inked the edges of the panel.  I then die cut several gears from Tim Holtz's Gadget Gears die, coloured them with Distress Ink to make them look rusty (various combinations of Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge and Black Soot) and overstamped them with some script stamps.  The metal gears from my stash were coloured with acrylic paint; I used black, burnt sienna and some Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter.  The cardstock gadget gears also got a couple of dabs with the Brushed Pewter acrylic paint here and there as well.  I printed the sentiment out on the computer, fussy cut each of the words and edged them with Distress ink in the same colours as the gadget gears.  I then backed each of the words with two layers of black cardstock to give them some dimension.


The steam engine image is so great and very reminiscent of the type of steam engine my FIL would have been working on as a young man.  I fussy cut a second image of the train and mounted it on some pop dots so it appears to be steaming out of the tunnel right towards you, you can see the dimension in the picture below.


On the inside I added another steam engine image from a digital scrapbooking kit by Meagan's Creations and then added another map image, this one of North America, to the right hand side where my DH can write his Father's Day message to his Dad.


I think my FIL will get a kick out of this card and I can't wait to show the finished project to my hubby, he hasn't seen it completed yet.

I'm linking this card up with the Masculine/Father's Day challenge at Mixed Media World and the Make It Masculine June challenge at Anything But Cute.

Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that you have a wonderful weekend, happy creating!

Deb

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful card! Your FIL will be impressed, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is awesome Deb! I just love that train image (reminds me of the Polar Express)! That little train postcard on the side is such a great fit for your theme and your gears look wonderfully grungy!! What a great sentiment, your DH is very clever! Another fabulous masculine piece!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Make It Masculine' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic man card! Isn't that little poster card just the most perfect detail to go along with your fab stamping and coloring. The 3-D gears are another great added detail enhancing the whole card design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie and I was so happy to find the poster online, it was perfect! For some silly reason Blogger didn't send notification of your comment to me so sorry for my late reply, thanks as always for stopping by and commenting! Deb xo

      Delete
  4. This is amazing. I'm pretty sure this is the best Father's Day card I've ever seen. Your FIL is going to love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous manly card Deb!!! Love the train images and embossed background. Thank you so very much for joining our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samra and happy to be able to join in the fun at ABC again! Deb xo

      Delete
  6. What a great celebration of the great age of steam, and a wonderful card for your FIL - I bet he absolutely loves it. The embossed background and the altered metal cogs are so cool.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, what a wonderful card, the best I have ever seen, Your FIL will cherish it forever. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, Deb!! This is a Fabulous Father's Day card for your FIL!! He is going to get a great big kick out of this for sure--I know I am :) :) There's an old-timey feel to this creation that I'm sure will have your FIL reminiscing about his younger days working for the railroad! What an amazing and special card, Deb!! Have a wonderful Father's Day with your hubbie and a wonderful 1st day of Summer!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I bet your Father in Law just loves this wonderful creation (my DH would love it too), the dimension you created really does make it look as though it is steaming out of that tunnel and the embossed background is brilliant. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this card! Perfect, and great sentiment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great masculine card and I bet your FIL loved it. Your created a super background and I love the vintage train image along with the CNR poster. My DM worked for them for a number of years in the 1960s. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  12. My gosh, this is incredible! I love that 'midnight' feel to the train.This is one the best masculine cards I have seen! Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic card! Love the background and your embellishments are fab! Thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ingrid and glad to have been able to join in the fun at MMW!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo