Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Shabby Pink Roses Birthday Card

Happy Tuesday all, it's a warm and lovely late Spring day here in B.C., can you believe that it will be the first day of Summer (for those of us in the Northern hemisphere that is) in just a few days?  The year is near half over, I still have no idea how that has occured!

May and June are very busy celebration months in our family and the next birthday coming up is my dear sister-in-laws.  I wanted to make her a card to celebrate her day and decided to make a 'shabby chic' card to link up with Country View Challenges current theme.  Now I have to admit that this is NOT my preferred style, shabby I can do but chic not so much!  But if there is anyone who epitomizes chic it would be my sister-in-law, she is a beautiful and elegant woman, so I dug deep into my crafting supplies and made this card for her.


I finally, finally figured out how to make tea roses using Tim Holtz's Tattered Pinecone die thanks to a video by pandora681 (click here to see it).  I had watched Tim's video and could not for the life of me make a decent rose but pandora's tip to keep pushing the petals back as you roll made all the difference for me.  I chose a white and pink colour palette and did a minimal amount of distressing with just a touch of Tea Stain Distress ink and also used some Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist to give the card a subtle shimmer.


The bird cage (Spellbinders Bird Cage Two) was die cut from a pale pink cardstock and then I die cut the hearts from two shades of pink using Simon Says Stamp Holiday Shapes and Large Holiday Shapes dies.  The leaves were die cut from a Simon Says Stamp Butterfly Tendrils die (I used this die inside the card as well) and the wee little butterflies were offcuts from that same die.  I made the Happy Birthday banner on the computer.


I used the Tim Holtz Mixed Media thinlits die to cut the trellis in behind the rose and backed it with a piece of pink cardstock.  The leaves and hearts were repeated as before and I used a small velcro dot to keep the card closed.


Here's the Butterfly Tendrils die in pink on the inside of the card and I repeated it in white on the opposite side.


I'll write my birthday message to my sister-in-law in the middle panel of the gatefold.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and  hope your week is off to a great start.  I have a Father's Day card to make for my FIL as well as birthday cards for my Dad and my FIL (I told you it was a  busy celebration month!) so I'll be back again soon.  See you then and happy creating!

Deb

16 comments:

  1. Lovely! She'll be thrilled! And, yes, where did half of 2015 go??

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW Deb!!! This is gorgeous!!! You might not prefer this style of card making, but you sure are extremely good at it!!! Love the simplicity of the design, yet it is so striking!!! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samra, that is very high praise coming from you as your cards are visions of loveliness! Really appreciate your kind words, thank you! Deb xo

      Delete
  3. Shabby and very chic! Love it so feminine and pretty! A card she will treasure! And you'd think you've been making those roses all your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Deb, this is just beautiful!! You had me at pink!! HAHA!! Love the tri-fold layout and your contrasting pink on white with white on pink has such a great appeal to it! Love your flowers, stunning! So feminine and lovely. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, such a pretty card and love the flowers. The detail is perfection. Thanks for the visit to mine and hope you have a great week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela and thank you for stopping by! Deb xo

      Delete
  6. The card is beautiful Deb, I love the pink, love the mixed media die piece and your roses are just fabulous. I think your Sister in Law with absolutely adore this beauty! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful. Your cards are always spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the pink. Your cards turn out so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, Lovely, Lovely card for your SIL, Deb!! I can't do those darn little tea roses either (my man hands usually get in the way!), and watching the link you gave us to Pandora...fabulous!! She uses a stylus, too!! I'm going to have to try that :) Thanks for the link :) Your SIL is going to love this card!! Happy Friday!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty colours, and your pinecone roses look wonderful! Definitely worth persevering for...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning project, absolutely love what you did here, just beautiful, the roses look amazing!
    Thanks for adding it to our challenge at Countryview Crafts and sorry I only come to comment now, but better late than never I guess...

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo