Monday, June 1, 2015

The Best Part Of Waking Up

Happy June!  I can't believe that I am writing those words but as I've already mentioned several times how quickly this year is flying by, I'll just move on LOL!

I made a couple of ATC's for a Mixed Media Studio swap; our little group has been rather quiet over the last while but things are picking up again and these ATC's are heading off to New York state.  The theme for May was 'The Best Part Of Waking Up ...' and of course the Folgers coffee jingle immediately started playing in my head (and probably in yours now too, sorry about that!).  But as I don't drink coffee anymore that wasn't going to work, so in thinking about the theme I realized that the best part of waking up for me was watching the beautiful sunrise while drinking my cup of tea.  So those became the themes for my two ATC's.

The first ATC has a sunrise theme and the lyrics to the song 'Good Morning Star Shine' from the musical 'Hair' immediately came to mind.


I used a stanza from the first verse of the song on my ATC with a simple sunrise image, some stamping and stenciling and a mirrored star.  A little 'Symphony' tissue tape was added around the edges to frame it and echo the musical theme.


Believe it or not, the word snippets are not elevated off of the ATC, I just added some shadowing around the edges with Distress Ink and it's amazing how dimensional they look!

The second ATC has a tea theme; I drew and fussy cut a tea cup from a recycled manila file folder, coloured it with Distress Ink and some stenciling and then scanned it into the computer.  I wanted to have the tea cup dimensional and wanted the same image underneath the popped up tea cup so I copied the scanned tea cup onto a piece of heavy cardstock and then cut out my ATC.  Would have been much easier if I had a tea cup stamp but since I didn't I had to make do LOL!


I coloured the ATC background with Distress Ink (I masked the copied image of the tea cup on my ATC with some Glossy Accents), added the grass under the cup to ground it and then drew in some 'heat' swirls with a Pigma pen and added the white accents with a gel pen.  The quote (author unknown) was printed out on the computer and adhered to the ATC.  Again, the word snippets are not dimensional but the shading with the Distress Ink really makes them pop off of the page.  After all the details were added, I mounted the original tea cup image over top on some pop dots.

Hope my swap partner will like these ATC's, I really enjoyed making them for her.  As it is a new month, the blogosphere will be buzzing with new challenges and posts so I will keep this short and let you go so you can catch up with the latest makes and news.  Have a wonderful week everyone and happy creating!

Deb

20 comments:

  1. Fun ATCs-- like the yellowy-gold color. Very cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I used love that song, now you have me bopping! Both are wonderful atcs and sing of happiness. It's 23.17 at night so I shall soon turn out light but I'll bookmark this to return to in the morning. They'll set me up for the day. Your swap partner will love them for sure. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Deb ~ You did a wonderful job ~ Your swap partner is going to Love them!!!
    So cheery and so full of Sunshine!!!
    Happy June days to You!
    Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely Deb, gorgeous sunny colousr and we need it here at the moment all we seem to be getting is rain!
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela and hope they will maybe bring some sunshine your way! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Shame on you for putting that silly Folgers song in my head, shame! haha! These are fabulous Deb, I'm totally in love with that teacup and the glossy accents! Brilliant colours, so fun and full of summer sun! Well done! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful ATCs! The shadowing around the words (or anything) always makes it stand out. Love the sun and rays on the first card. The design of the card as a whole is so related and perfect. The second card is so cute. Your partner couldn't possibly not love them. Now....how will I get the song and jingle out of my head.....teehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep...started to sing the Folger's jingle too! LOL! They both turned out really nice. So colorful! L)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Deb, now you have that jingle in my mind...and it's evening..thanks for the ear worm.

    What gorgeous cards, you are a virtual card making machine, the creativity just oozes out of you, in the nicest way of course.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, I'm popping over from Jen @ The Light Laughed. It is always lovely to meet another Canadian blogger. Our daughter and family live in Sooke and we love visiting out there. Your tags are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I was your swap partner I would LOVE to get these! Your ATCs are so bright and cheerful, they really have lifted my spirits! Not sure I will get those lyrics out of my head any time soon though... Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I read your title I was singing the Folgers jingle :) I really like both of these. I think I spotted them on Pinterest yesterday. Great job with the word snippets. Amazing what a little shadow can do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great atc's...love the yellow and the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is Folger's in my cup and so it is right this moment! Love your beautiful morning wake up ATC cuppa coffee! How fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Deb for putting that jingle in my head...NOT !! lol Love your ATC's. Good job and I love that you think on your feet, and make things work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really love these Deb, the yellow looks so happy! I remember this song (I didn't realise it was from so long ago though lol) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those colors are so pretty together....bright yellows and lavender! Very cheerful and fun! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love these colors! Yellow is not a color I can work with, but you m'dear rocked it! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nancy! I'm trying to push myself out of my neutral colours comfort zone so appreciate your kind feedback :O) Thanks as always for stopping by and commenting, Deb xo

      Delete
  18. Oh My Goodness!! Deb--Your swap partner is going to LOVE these!! They are soooo happy and sunshiny and wonderful through and through!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo