Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Better Late? June 12 Tags Of 2015

Good morning everyone, hope this finds you well.  Just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who has emailed me or commented with good wishes for my wonky back, your kind words are all very much appreciated and I'm happy to say that I'm doing fine.  So fine in fact that I was able to finally get my June Tim Holtz tag completed, better late than never as the saying goes!

I think I procrastinated on making this tag because I didn't have a darn thing in my stash that Tim used to make his tag (click here to see Tim's June tag and his 'how-to' tutorial) and also I have to admit to not being a fan of Starbucks coffee.  Shocking I know and I'm sure some of you may feel the need to unfollow me because of that blasphemous comment (please don't!) but since I don't drink coffee I've never jumped on that particular bandwagon.  So I had to come up with another focal point that could still incorporate all of Tim's June elements and techniques and here is the tag I created.


I love how it turned out!  Those sweet Scribbly Birds just steal my heart.  I did manage to use all of Tim's June tag elements but in different ways and I had to come up with a completely different technique for Tim's plaid background but I think it worked pretty well.  Tim used his 'Stripes' layering stencil for his tag but since I didn't have it I was kind of stumped on how I'd achieve a similar look.  Then I thought of the mark making technique where you use the edge of a credit card dipped in acrylic paint to make lines and hashmarks and wondered if it would work with Distress inks?  You bet it does!


I used three different shade of green Distress ink and randomly added stripes of colour and then lightly misted it with water and let the Distress do it's thing.  I repeated the lines and misting a couple of times until I was happy with the results; it's not exactly like Tim's background but a pretty reasonable facsimile so if you don't have the Stripes stencil either and want to achieve a plaid effect, give it a try!


I fussy cut the Scribbly Bird and coloured her with Distress ink and a water brush and mounted her on pop dots to get the same dimension as Tim had on his tag.  I didn't have any linen ribbon so used a piece of lace trim instead for a 'hanger' which worked well and attached the 'hello' Typed Token with a rusty safety pin and jump ring.  To incorporate Tim's corrugated textured surfaces element, I die cut some 'Arbor' leaves from coloured corrugated card stock and distressed them with Walnut Stain distress ink.


I was a bit stumped at first on how I was going to use the painted plastic packaging element in my design but then realized I could cut the packaging with the Bird Branch die and painted it on the reverse with Walnut Stain distress paint.  Once the paint had dried, I scratched some lines and whorls into the paint with a pin to simulate bark, it worked out pretty well!  I cut another Arbor leaf from cardstock and coloured it with Distress ink and sanded the edges for the leaf on the left and then coloured a glittery foam heart with alcohol ink to echo Tim's mirrored star element on his tag.  I added the bakers twine bows at the end when I realized I hadn't incorporated the jute string element on Tim's tag, for an afterthought they fit in well!


The elements on the bottom of the tag were done pretty much the same as Tim's although I had to make up the #tweettweet hashtag banner on the computer because I don't have the Hashtags stamp set.  It worked well though since I could make up my own hashtag phrase to coordinate with my tag :O)


So there you go, my better late than never June Tim tag completed.  Time to get working on the July tag so I don't have to do another late post and since I live in Canada and Tim's tag is all about the 4th of July I'll have to do some tweaking on the July tag too.  Hmmm, July 1st was Canada Day, I see a red and white Canadian tag taking shape!  Have a great day everyone and thanks so much as always for stopping by.  Happy creating!

Deb xo

18 comments:

  1. I love your twist on Tim's tag, the bird looks beautiful and I LOVE how you created the stripes for the plaid - well done you! Glad to hear that you are feeling much better too. If it helps to have a blasphemous buddy - I don't do Starbucks either - I prefer tea any day.... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. better late than never is my motto...lol This tag turned out really good. I really like how you did the background and the bird is so cute. Now I want to try out your technique for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I forgot to say I am a coffee drinker but I don't do Starbucks because I'm a cheap coffee drinker....lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the little bird is gorgeous! Beautifully put together Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like this Deb, especially your plaid background. I must admit I don't know how you get by without coffee lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might remember from my TH June tag that I'm not a coffee drinker either. I love your bird tag! So cool that you used the elements on a different subject. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your background looks fab x love your little bird sitting on it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic and so creative!!! You should get a special prize from Tim for creativity and persistence :) Love that background and that gorgeous birdie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Samra! I was just happy to finally get it done, I was feeling badly for missing the deadline but do love how it turned out in the end. Thanks for your kind comments :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  9. oh Deb, this is so cute! I love the bird wonderfully adorable! Your plaid take is amazing, love it and have to remember it! Fabulous take on Tim's tag! Can't wait to see your July one :)
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! I was pleasantly surprised at how well the credit card/distress ink background worked and it was very easy, hope you'll be able to use it :O) Thanks for you kind words as always, Deb xo

      Delete
  10. Well done, Deb! Your tag looks great! Where there's a will there's a way. I do drink coffee, but not Starbucks coffee. I guess I'm not a true coffee connoisseur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, perseverance finally overcame procrastination LOL! Silly Google is not forwarding your comments to me (I've heard rumours that they are blocking addresses from Yahoo and AOL, rather childish if that is the case!) so sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, Deb xo

      Delete
  11. Sweet...sweet:) That little bird is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Deb--I Don't Like Starbucks either!!!!!! LOL!!! I like coffee, I just do not like Starbucks!!! (lots of reasons why I hate starbucks!) I know it's blasphemy, but so be it!!! LOL :) :) I didn't do my June tag either, but better late than never is a good thing!! (I'll get around to my version of the june tag sometime this year!) :) :) You've improvised Tim's June tag techniques wonderfully--especially that background! I just got the Scribbly Birds set, too :) :) I think we're crafters after each other's hearts!! :) :) Happy Friday to you, Deb!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an inventive take on the June tag - love how you've created all those multi-textured leaves and the little scribbly bird is just adorable. Sorry to hear your back's been playing up... but I'm very late catching up, so I'm hoping it's lots better by now!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo