Monday, July 27, 2015

Creativity Art Journal Page

Howdy blogging peeps!  Hope this finds you all well.   I've been working away on a new art journal page and finally have it completed, this one was a bit of a struggle but worth it in the end I think!


I wanted to join up with the latest challenge at Wendy Vecchi's Make Art challenge blog, the theme this month was polka dots and so I promptly die cut this little bird using the Sizzix Birds die;


stenciled him with some of Wendy's Crackled Texture paste through a polka dot stencil and coloured him with Distress inks and stains in shades of orange and brown.  And that's where I got stuck!  I hemmed and hawed for days trying to figure out where to go and while I mulled it over I made a tag that I'd coloured with the mop up from making the bird.


The colours reminded me of rust so I stenciled a gear with some Ranger texture paste (I used the negative image from a Tim Holtz Gadget Gears die as my stencil),  stamped more gears from a Forever In Time 'Old Fashioned' stamp set and then added the light bulb from a previous project, which I mounted on top of the gear with some foam tape.  The 'creativity' sentiment from Tim Holtz's 'Life Quotes' stamp set seemed a good fit with the light bulb image, so it was added along with some rusty wire.  After I was done, I put the little polka dot bird and the tag together and really liked the way they looked together, so decided they would be the basis for my creativity art journal page.


I coloured the page background with shades of blue distress spray stain and then deepened the colours with distress inks and added some pops of yellow to each side.  Using Tim Holtz's 'Typo' layering stencil and Ranger transparent matte texture paste, I added bits of stenciling around the edges.  I wanted to echo the polka dots on the bird die cut, so I mixed some orange Distress stain into some Ranger texture paste and applied it through the polka dot stencil in random areas on the the journal pages.  When dry I added some marks using a pill bottle lid and a credit card with black and white acrylic paint and then sealed the whole page with Mod Podge.  The 'Explore' sentiment was stamped using Tim Holtz's 'Life Quotes' stamp set and the arrows were stamped from Tim Holtz's 'The Journey' stamp set onto watercolour paper and fussy cut.


I overstamped with gears from the 'Old Fashioned' stamp set, numbers from Tim Holtz's 'Perspective' stamp set and added the corner squares from a Stamper's Anonymous Classics #16 stamp set.


To bring an organic element to the left side of the page, I stenciled the poppy pods from PaperArtsy's 004 ELB stencil using Ranger texture paste and then coloured them while the paste was wet with some Distress stains and a paint brush.  The colours blended and moved as the paste dried, this is definitely something I will do again!  I also wanted to add an industrial element to the poppies so tried an experiment and impressed a gear stamp into the wet texture paste.  As you see some worked better than others, the main reason being I was trying to impress one gear image from a continuous line of gears without smudging any of the other seed heads, but think this would work great if you had a stamp with one distinct image on it to impress into the wet texture paste.  Again, another technique I'll try again on a future project.  I also added some curls of rusty wire in a couple of spots on the page to echo the rusty wire on the hang tag.


More texture paste polka dots here as you see as well as a curled paper clip that I coloured with some alcohol inks and black acrylic paint.  The tag was cut from kraft cardstock using Tim Holtz's Tiny Tabs and Tags die and stamped with the word 'Imagine' from a discontinued Crafty Secrets stamp set.


I threaded the tag onto the curled paper clip, love the dimension it adds to the page.


You can see more of the transparent Typo stenciling here along with another piece of curled rusty wire, love how it seems to be growing out of the stamped circles.


Although I struggled initially with the direction I wanted to go with this project, I have to say that I love the end result and had fun playing with some new ideas and techniques, always a bonus!  I'd like to link this journal page up with the following challenges:

Make Art Challenge Blog - Polka Dots July Challenge (Wendy Vecchi product used Crackle Texture Paste)

Mixed Media World - MMW#5 Stencils

Thanks as always for stopping by and hope that you have a great week.  Happy creating!

Deb xo

28 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, thanks for the visit and lovely comment. This journal page is brilliant the colours are so vibrant.
    I simply must get back to my journals again, just been a bit busy recently.
    Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I am becoming addicted to this art journaling, I've hardly been doing anything else since I started journaling after taking Marjie Kemper's Colourful Mixed Media course on Craftsy. I have to try and get some balance back into my creating LOL! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words, Deb xo

      Delete
  2. Love the rust effect and the poppy heads are fab! I just sketched some in the garden last week - they are one of my favourite things. Great pages Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out really great! The contrast of colors is perfect. I think you definitely have a flare for these journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous colourful journal pages Deb and so many amazing details. Love it!!

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!!! Love the bright colors and the combination of them! That polka dot bird and little Imagine tag are my favorites!!! Wonderful work of art my dear!

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samra, from uncertain beginnings it turned out pretty well in the end :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  6. I love to see what you are putting together Deb. I love the colours in this one and the polka dot bird especially. ;o) Romona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Deb, this is fantabulous!! Your colours are so vibrant and just jump off the page! I love how you placed your bird so he looks like he's sitting on the tag, it's these kind of small details that really make your work stand out! Amazing piece! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a spread! Brilliant color and LOVE that bird! This is so super fun, and so much to see and love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is amazing all the detail you have on there. You are definitely a talented woman girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your hemming and hawing payed off in the end. This turned out really well. I really like how you did that bird and it looks great perched on top of the tag

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Deb, this is fab-u-lous! I love your gorgeous choice of colours, the crackled polka dots look amazing and I love how you added the white spots, they really pull the whole piece together so well. Wonderful work, love this a lot! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic AJ pages, Deb!! These pages just pop with brightness and positivity--I Love 'em!! The textured polka dots on the bird are so playful (I love polka dots) :) And don't get me started about those wonderful poppies! I Love them! I was drawn to those first, because of the texture! Totally cool, I love the little hints of gears that I can see :) :) Can't wait to see more of your AJ pages!! Oh, Good Luck at the challenges!! These pages look like "Winner" to me :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic Journalling, love your colour choice, and layout along with your techniques. I also agree with Shari a winner for sure.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful Deb! And that quote...well, I might just "steal it like a artist" lol...and make something like a sign or something for my studio to keep me inspired...perfect words for creatives.

    I love the blues, they are cheerful and upbeat, inspiring and happy. And I'm always a fan of polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow*WOW*wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! one definitely does NOT see the struggle... just the glorious results! this is luscious, i could look at it for ages!!! (& i think i will go do so now, lol!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Deb, this is a gorgeous spread! Love your colors and that fab bird on top of the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So gorgeous Deb! I love the sweet bird and bright colors. The way you layer and create is so wonderful, I love visiting, thanks so much for sharing!~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim for you kind words and I do so appreciate your visits! Deb xo

      Delete
  18. Your art is so inspiring and beautiful. Truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Shannon and thank you for stopping by my blog, welcome! Deb xo

      Delete
  19. Completely worth it! I adore the colour contrasts and fantastic crackly polka dots on the bird. Those seed heads from the PA stencil are becoming a must-have item - love what you've done with them here - and the layered stamping and coggy tag - altogether LOVE it!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is so worth the time! I love your journal pages and that bird is a wonderful focal point! All the layers and colors are just fabulous and in fact, I am pinning this! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Deb! Thanks so much for the sweet comments you left on my blog. They mean so much to me! Now, I intend to return the compliments! These art journal pages are awesome! I am loving the bright colorful backgrounds! Your Wendy style things look fantastic on the pages. Your crackly stenciled polka dots are divine! I love ALL of your stenciling and stamping and the bird and steampunkish style add ons in the Orange coupled with the orange stems are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Deb. I love this art journal page. The colours and the textures are wonderful! Love the polka dot bird - there's something so appealing about birds. And the quotation is one I may "steal," too, as Jen has said.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo