Thursday, July 16, 2015

Destinations

Happy Thursday everyone and thanks for stopping by.  Today I am very excited to be able to share with you my guest designer project that I made for the current challenge over at A Vintage Journey.
I was honoured to have had my 'A Boy And His Dog' shadow box chosen as a Pinworthy Mention back in May and want to thank Brenda and the rest of the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey for asking me to do another guest post for them this month.

The theme this month at AVJ is 'Destinations' and this is the prompt that Jenny gave us:

So many people are taking trips to far flung places or exploring locations closer to home right now. With this in mind we would love to see creations based on a destination or place of your choice. Tim has provided stamps themed around the United States, Great Britain and Paris but don't let this restrict you! Let your favourite destination inspire you.

 I have to admit to a moment of panic when I received the prompt for the Destinations theme, being the Mom of three very large rescue dogs means that jet setting off to exotic and cultured locales is definitely not something we do around here!  But then I noticed that Jenny said to 'let your favourite destination inspire you' and I knew what to do, an art journal page celebrating our favourite camping and fishing vacations.


Every year in September we load up the truck, trailer, hound dogs and fishing poles and head off to one of the many, many lakes that surround our home here in B.C.  We don't always head to the same place but wherever we end up is always our favourite destination because we get to sit back and relax beside a beautiful lake with each other and our pups, it's pure heaven!  This journal page is a collage of photographs I've taken on our various vacations, stamped images from some great stamp sets and lots of Idea-ology embellishments, Distress inks and texture paste.  If you'd like a closer look at how I composed this page, keep on reading.

I had full intentions of taking step by step photos but you know how it goes, you get on a roll and completely forget to do it.  So I'll try to briefly explain my steps as I go and hope it will help, drop me a line if you have any questions.


I started out by gessoing the pages and sprayed them with Salty Ocean and Peeled Paint distress spray along with a bit of water.  Once dry, I added more colour with distress inks in Stormy Sky, Crushed Olive and Mustard Seed.


Stenciling came next, I used a 'wave' stencil along the bottom (it's a FolkArt stencil by Plaid) and a birch tree stencil in the middle sections (which is now completely covered up unfortunately!).


I mixed some Ranger Texture Paste with Hauser Medium Green acrylic paint and applied it through Tim Holtz's 'Blossom' stencil along the top.


Ranger Translucent Texture Paste was applied along both outside edges through Tim Holtz's 'Tracks' layering stencil and here and there along the bottom edge.  Random overstamping came next with Jet Black Archival Ink and a text stamp, then the pages were sealed with matte Modge Podge and the edges shaded with Burnt Sienna acrylic paint.


The Wander sentiment was stamped on manila cardstock and embossed with clear embossing powder (Artistic Outpost 'Wander and Dream' stamp set).  The Idea-ology Arrow Adornment was colored with alcohol ink and adhered with E6000.  All pictures were resized and printed onto copy paper and adhered with Ranger Matte Multi Medium. (It's hard to see in this picture but Big Dog has his tongue barely stuck out and is just touching the nose of the fish, it's hilarious!)


 'Words' remnant rubs were added to a snippet of 'Filmstrip' ribbon and adhered to the page with Glossy Accents.  The fishing lure was stamped with Jet Black archival ink (Artistic Outpost 'Keeper' stamp set).


The young feller holding his prize catch is from the Artistic Outpost 'Keeper' stamp set and was stamped on manila cardstock and coloured with distress inks and a water brush.  I followed Shari's lead (Ain't That Artsy Fartsy) and stamped the fish from the same AO stamp set separately and mounted it on pop dots.  The whole image was attached to the memo pin and typed token in the same manner as Tim Holtz used for his May 12 Tags of 2015. The end of the memo pin was hidden behind the 'Admit One' ticket from Vectoria Designs.


The picture on the bottom left was taken at Rocky Point campsite on Adams Lake, it was a picture postcard day with not a breath of wind and that huge lake was like a piece of glass, quite amazing and so beautiful!


I continued the same themes and similar motifs on the facing page of the art journal, the 'Always take the scenic route' sentiment (from a Stampers Anonymous Classics #16 stamp set) was created in the same way as the 'wander' sentiment on the opposite side.  Those are words to live by in my book :O)


The picture of the beautiful sunset was taken at Lawrence Lake one early fall evening after a rain storm, once again the water was like glass with only the ripples from rising fish visible on it's surface.


The fishing gal (from the Artistic Outpost 'Keeper' stamp set) was stamped and coloured in the same manner as the young feller on the opposite page.  The 'Breathe' philosophy tag was coloured with Old Paper distress paint and attached to the page with a rusty safety pin and a jump ring.  The pointing hand was torn from a piece of 'Elements' tissue tape and the compass image was stamped with Jet Black archival ink (from the 'Timepieces' by Forever In Time stamp set).


The pickup truck is from Tim Holtz's 'The Journey' Clear Stamps set and the vintage travel trailer was an image I found online and resized to 'tow' behind the pickup truck.  The 'Gone Fishing' sentiment was created using Tim Holtz's Alpha Tiles.  All of the elements were outlined and smudged with a Soot Black distress marker to add shading and dimension.  Since the page had been sealed with Modge Podge and matte multi-medium, it was easy to smudge the distress marker with my finger to create a soft shadow.


Thanks to you for stopping by my blog today and thanks again to the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey for giving me the opportunity to share my work on their wonderful blog.  If you haven't joined in the fun with the Destinations challenge this month at AVJ I encourage you to give it a try, you're sure to have fun and discover a wonderful new destination in your artful journey!

I'd like to link my Destinations art journal page with the following challenges:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #14 - Summer Days


Country View Challenges - On Your Travels

Stamps and Stencils - Happy Holidays

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog - Anything Goes

Artistic Outpost - Show Us Your AO Art July Challenge

Happy creating everyone,

Deb
xo

34 comments:

  1. Congratulations Deb! I love what you did - using your own, very special personal destinations makes it extra special. Lawrence and Adams Lake looks fabulous - and you got a pup in there too! :) So happy for you!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Love the background. How nice you vacation with your pups. Lucky dogs! Just curious-- what type of book or pad is your journal? There are so many different ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pages. I always enjoy the actual event or getaway, but what fun it always is to relive it again during the memory making process. Love that outdoorsy background. It shows off your photos and all your fun details too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, it's amazing how you can remember the details of the where and when you took a treasured vacation picture months or years ago but can't remember where you put your tea cup 5 minutes ago! Making this journal page brought back lots of wonderful memories, I had so much fun making it :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  4. Lovely journal pages , love how,you used the Artistic Outpost imagery and sentiments. Love the film strip too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy wowsers Deb! A huge congratulations on your guest spot, you totally deserve it! Your destination page is just incredible! You have included so many wonderful elements, I keep scrolling back up and discovering new things! Love that you included real photographs of your own memories Big Dog looks cautiously intrigued by the fish, aren't dogs hilarious! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, I love your latest creation, your talent is awesome! Love looking at what you create and admire your talent. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Deb, that's gorgeous, and you have put so much work into it.

    When we first got married I made a travel journal, it looked a little like that, but no where as pretty as yours. It's nice to go back and read about the trips that we took.

    And like you, well I have a garden, and the Boo, so we don't get away as much...after all, we now live where we used to vacation...so why leave.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Journal pages Deb, just had to pop over for a closer look.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY DEB!! Congrats on your Guest Designer gig at AVJ!! It's wonderful to have you!! :) :) And look at these Beautiful AJ pages!! I LOVE them!! Hubbie and I are the same--we can't jet away to locals exotic with three big dogs in tow, so when we do get to 'go' it's by road trip (if we go anywhere at all...) ;) :) I just love how you started these pages with your layers of colors and stenciling--and it's OK if things get covered up in places ;) There are so many other wonderful things to look at :) :) And OMG--Thank you soooo much for mentioning me & linking me in your posting!! :) :) You've done me and Artistic Outpost a solid here!!! :) :) Just an AWESOME feature and creation for AVJ!!! Enjoy!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE your Destination page, the background alone is just beautiful and I love how all the elements tell a story. I love your photos and I am quite partial to the jalopy and the trailer! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art as Guest with us again at AVJ, always such a pleasure to see you. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I have wanderlust right now. I'm so ready to go somewhere....any where! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. I love the look of the whole thing. The colors in your background go perfectly with the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is one fabulous Destination page! The background is gorgeous and I love the way you combine stamps and photos to tell a lovely story! So nice to have you as a guest designer at AVJ! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love your page!! The details in the background all the way to the images in the front - wonderful! I really love the texture paste around the edges - the texture just pops!! Love your page!! ! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen, I had a lot of fun making this journal page, so many great memories! Glad I was able to join in the fun at Mixed Media Monthly!

      Delete
  15. Such a fantastic page spread - I love the woodsy feel and earthy natural colour palette, and the leafy texture is great too. Wonderful collaged elements - a perfect scrapbook of a great trip, and those photos are breathtakingly beautiful.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing summery page! I love all the fun details you added. I feel like I'm on a trip just looking at it. Thanks so much for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna, it brought back lots of wonderful memories as I was making it. glad to have been able to join in the fun at Mixed Media Monthly! Deb xo

      Delete
  17. These are fabulous pages Deb! I love the mixture of photos with stamped pictures everything works so well together. I also love the background you've created with gorgeous colour and texture. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils . Toni x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Toni, I was really happy with how my background came together and adding the collage elements brought back lots of great memories. Glad to be able to join you at Stamps and Stencils this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  18. Deb this is totally gorgeous, so many wonderful details and so much to see. They look like idylic vacations with your pooches! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, wow, wow!!! no wonder you were chosen, you have soooooo totally done this proud!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! Love your colours here.
    Deb, I totally agree - we are kindered-camping spirits. For us, it wouldn't be a vacation without our Bern-er (gotta love a big dog or 3), dogs and outdoors are a perfect match. Enjoy your trip in September!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just fantastic, love every single corner of it!! I was also sure that I had left a comment here already, but it seems Mr blogger has been playing up on me..... Anyway, just wanted to say, thanks for this over at AVJ, it is just fantastic! Really fabulous project and just perfect for our theme at Mixed Media Monthly! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge! I have been lucky enough to travel around some of the lakes in BC some years back, so I just know how beautiful it is! Enjoy every moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous vintage page - I'm glad I found you through Google+ - your photos are grand and your techniques awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jemima and I'm glad you found me too, welcome aboard! Deb xo

      Delete
  23. There's no place like home as Dorothy said. What you did here, shows that. You don't have to always go far from home to see just how much beauty there is all around us here Deb. BC is full of beautiful places. ;o)) Romona

    ReplyDelete
  24. it is beautiful Deb. again so finely detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such fun art journal pages! Love all the details and elements you added!! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    www.lynnkopas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn and glad to have been able to join the Mixed Media Monthly challenge this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  26. A little late, but better late than never! I've been kind of away from my computer for a while, and getting mini trips in here and there. Today, I get to look at your lovely art, and stop in to say hello! Deb, this is an amazing journal page, and I'm sure it brought back such wonderful memories as you made it. I really enjoyed looking at your photos, and longing to see those beautiful lakes some day! Great idea to pop the fish off the stamped image! And Big Dog looks like he'd like his cooked before he has a bite! big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for your kind comment and for stopping by Sara! Good to see you 'out and about' again but take it easy and don't overdo it (the nurse in me is coming out LOL!). Sending healing energy your way my friend, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your pages Deb! They are crammed full of wonderful techniques, images, colour and details. Apologies for my late visit but thanks for joining us at Stamps & Stencils. Julia x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo