Saturday, July 18, 2015

True North

Hello blogging friends, hope you are having a great start to your weekend.  It's going to start heating up again here in B.C. after a brief cool down but we at least got a good amount of rain over the last few days so the forest fire danger rating has gone down, thank goodness.

I was feeling very badly that I did not get my June tag for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags Of 2015 done in time so was determined to get the July tag finished early this month.  And lo and behold, I did it!  I think this is the earliest I've ever completed one of Tim's monthly tags, hopefully it is a sign of things to come!


Tim has a wonderful and detailed tutorial on his blog on how to construct his July tag (click here to view it) so I won't go into too many details but as you can see, I did make a few changes :O)  Tim's tag was a celebration of the 4th of July in America and since I live in Canada, I thought that I would make a very Canadian tag celebrating my country.


My colour palette is red and white for the Canadian flag and I used Distress inks in Barn Door, Fired Brick and a touch of Aged Mahogany.  I hand drew the Canadian flag (hey Stampers Anonymous, how about a Canadiana stamp set? :O) and I added the 'peace' Typed Token since Canada is well known for it's peace keeping duties with the United Nations around the world.  I striped the crinkle ribbon with Barn Door DI on each edge and left the center white to echo the colours of our flag.  I don't have any Distress Micro Glaze, so I went old school and protected my images with candle wax before colouring them with a glaze of red DI.


I used a font called 'Chalk Line Outline' to write Canada and then added some lines with a black Pigma Pen and coloured the letters with a water brush and DI.


There is a line in our national anthem "Oh Canada" that goes "..with glowing hearts we see thee rise, the true North strong and free .." and those words have always touched me deeply.  So I decided to use them on the bottom panel of my tag and Tim's 'Compass' blueprint stamp seemed the perfect image to use.  The stamp was too big to fit in the space I had, so I stamped it, scanned it and then shrunk it down to the right size.  I added the words 'true north' and printed it out on some cardstock.  To continue the red and white theme, I used the red Vial Label and added the words 'strong & free' and coloured a small metal heart with Red Pepper alcohol ink.  The number 1 was stamped using Tim's Worn Text stamp set (Canada Day is on July 1st) and I embossed it with white embossing powder, mounted it on some fun foam and cut it out and edged it with Barn Door DI.


So that's my True North July Tim tag, thanks as always to Mr. Tim Holtz for his continuing inspiration and thanks to you for stopping by my blog.  Have a wonderful weekend and hope that you will be able to find some time to get your fingers inky, happy creating!

Linking this tag up with Dragons Dream Tag It On No 1 Challenge #195

Deb xo

31 comments:

  1. What a great looking tag. You adapted this perfectly for Canada. I went over and looked at the tutorial and realized I could go broke buying all the things he used that I don't have....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful patriotic tag, Deb! such attention to detail, my friend! Love it and thanks for sharing that line of Canada's National anthem - now I need to find the words to it all.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I really like the edge stitching-- nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always moved by the words of the Anthem too, you really have touched my Canadian heart with this gorgeous tag Deb, I absolutely love it! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sooo love your take on Tim's tag!!! How fun and patriotic! Great and wonderful work! Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see different partiotic designs from other countries. Your tag looks great! Perfect personal take on Tim's tag design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, there are lots of tags folks have linked up on Tim's blog showcasing their own countries, all of them are great! Thanks for your kind words, Deb xo

      Delete
  7. Super take on Tim's tag, love how you have designed it with personal touches and meaning for yourself. Makes it extra special.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Tim, but I think the prize goes to my fellow Canadian here!! LOVE LOVE LOVE your version of the tag this month Deb, great job! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your patriotic take!!! Great images too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tag. I love it! Top job! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Canadian tag!!! What a great use of the compass stamp ( great idea to stamp and scan to size!!).. perfect for our "true north". Love all the tags this month but especially those from my fellow Canadians celebrating our beautiful country!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy, your Canadiana tag is wonderful as well :O) And I often do the stamp and scan trick to make stamps either bigger or smaller so I can use those wonderful images on my pieces. Deb xo

      Delete
  12. Definitely one of the nicest Canadian themed cards I have seen in ages..that should be submitted to a magazine, it's beautiful. And makes me proud to be a Canadian.

    Send rain, please DEB!! We have not had any, not for months....it just passes us by...last night we saw thunder on the mountains....but no rain...weeks, months of no rain.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific take on the July tag - I love the rosy glow of your maple leaf and lovely ribbons.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this tag, Deb!! It's a GREAT tribute to The Great White North!! (yeah, I know some Rush songs!)(and you can make the movie Strange Brew into a drinking game-drink every time they say 'Eh') LOL :) :) You've got it going on with this month's Tim Tag!! Oh, now you're making me feel guilty that I haven't created a Tim tag yet ;) :) (for June or July) It's just the creative push I need :) :) Have a Fabulous week, Deb!! Stay cool out there--our temps are supposed to warm back up!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh how i *LOVE* this, miss deb! what a gorgeous take on tim's tag, that is totally canadian, totally YOU, and totally gorgeous! between that & your cooler weather, i'm kind of tempted to convert... at least... can i just be canadian in the summer??!?!?! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Deb, the perfect Canadian tag! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhhhhh CANADA...I LOVE THIS! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! We don't often blow our own horn up here in the True North so was thrilled to have this opportunity to show everyone how proud I am to be a Canadian and how much we love our country :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  18. I LOVE this, Deb. Where in BC are you? I live in Cochrane, AB and my daughter lives in Creston. I Love learning how close blog-buddies are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tag Deb. And you're right, we need more Canadiana in art stores, stamps papers for a start. ;o) Romona

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your tag & agree that a SA Canada themed stamp set would be awesome!
    Great job!
    ~~~julia~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia and hope that Stampers Anonymous hears our request LOL! Nice to meet a fellow Canadian blogger, off to check out your site. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, Deb xo

      Delete
  21. So awesome sauce and very cool to make it about your country! Love that you went old school and used the candle wax! Your drawing skills are fantabulous dearie! Such a fun tag Deb! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki! I now have some Distress micro glaze so I can retire the candles LOL! And thank you for the kind words on my drawing skills, I struggled with that dang maple leaf, all of those points always mess me up! Deb xo

      Delete
  22. Deb, I, too, am impressed with your drawing skills on that Canadian flag! I also had to take the low road with my mask--I used a clear wax crayon that came with my Easter Egg dying kit:). I think the Microglaze would be a better choice! So happy you got yours! This is one beautiful tag, and a great take on Tim's July tag. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! And great idea to use the wax crayon, we are all nothing if not resourceful when it comes to making Tim's tags :O) If you need some micro glaze let me know, I inadvertently ordered two of them so have an extra in my stash now! Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo