Monday, August 3, 2015

Hello August

Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend and ushered in this last full month of summer in style.  Hard to believe that it is indeed August but that's what the calendar is saying so it must be true!

I made another banner for our ongoing swap at the Mixed Media Studio, this one for the month of August.  While making my creativity art journal page, I thought that many of the elements I had die cut for it would work well for a summer banner.  So I die cut another bird, a branch and some leaves from fabric using the Birds, Bird Branch and Arbor dies.  I then searched my fat quarter stash and found a batik style dragonfly and butterfly print and used that as the background.


The bright yellow and oranges of the background fabric really said summer to me as did all the lovely butterflies and dragonflies flitting about on it.


I cut the bird from muslin and stamped it with a text stamp, thinking the lighter colour would pop off of the background, but the poor wee guy was just lost.  So I coated him with Glossy Accents hoping that would help but he was still struggling to be seen.  I then decided to outline him with some gold Stickles (there is a gold thread running throughout the background fabric) and gave him a wee gold confetti star for an eye and that seemed to do the trick!


The leaves were cut from two different green hued fabrics and I edged them with a simple straight stitch using some Valdani pearl cotton.


I coloured some white trim that had a metallic thread running through it with some Butterscotch alcohol ink and then attached a bronze coloured nest and eggs charm from my stash with a jump ring to the point of the banner.


Hope my swap partner will like it, now on to the September banner which I have to get made before we head off on holidays, back to the sewing machine!  Have a great week and happy creating!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Your swap partner is going to love it. The background fabric is so bright and cheery and I think the gold Stickles around the bird was a great touch. The charm hanging from the bottom is perfect for this too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great details! The stitching on the leaves is lovely! Super colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea for a swap challenge. Your August banner looks wonderful. Love the colors of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb - That is a darling hanging - especially the tiny bird nest on the bottom. That swap challenge sounds like a lot of fun. Love it.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just fab! All my colours, bird, nest charm and wee bells. I wish I was your swap partner! Please tell me what Stickles on the outlining is/are though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Deb! Love the vibrant butterfly background, and the touches of gold glitter work so well with your warm palette! Love those rusted bells too! Awesome! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it Deb!!!

    I have that same fabric....Fat Quarters Club?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was your swap partner, I would absolutely love it! The fabric is beautiful and I love your treatment of the bird - and those rusted bells are fabulous! Simply beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Moly, Deb!! This is a Summer delight for the eyes!! I truly love the smaller details, like the stitching around the leaves and your dyed trim!! I LOVE your dyed trim to pieces!! Oh, and that darling little nest charm--the perfect little embellie :) :) Your swap partner is going to LOVE this!!! Have a crafty week!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous - I'm sure your partner will love it! I enjoyed reading about your process - amazing what can be done with die cuts... I love the little stitch details you added as well - the whole thing is wonderful.
    Hope you have a great holiday - I just want to sit still and be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so clever! I love seeing dies used with fabric! Gorgeous color and scene too, and love the whole hanging design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! I don't use my dies often enough to cut fabric, the Bigz dies work so well to cut the appliques. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words, Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo