Thursday, August 6, 2015

She Knew She Could Fly

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great week.  It's been cool here the last couple of days but hopefully will be warming up again soon, I'm not ready to retire my flip flops and shorts quite yet!

While making my stencil monoprint tag for the CC3 challenge #34, I also made a second generation print onto another manila hang tag.  Unfortunately I kind of mucked it up when the stencil slid around but I didn't want to trash the tag so decided to try and save it.  I added more distress inks in blues and a bit of yellow and did more stamping on it with a Finnabair 'Bubbles' stamp and a text stamp from Wendy Vecchi's 'Remnants of Art' stamp set.  After all was said and done, the background was looking pretty good, so I decided to use it to make a tag to link up with the current 'Things With Wings' challenge at Frilly and Funkie.


The 'knowing she could fly' sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's 'Remnants of Art' stamp set seemed to be a perfect phrase for the theme and to tie it all together I added that sweet wee fairy child from a discontinued Crafty Secrets stamp set and placed her on a branch I had die cut from clear packaging for another project (a Tim Holtz 'Bird Branch' die cut that I coloured on the back with Walnut Stain distress paint).


The sentiment was stamped with Jet Black Archival ink onto cardstock coloured with distress ink and then clear embossed, fussy cut and mounted onto some kraft cardstock for a bit of dimension.  A bit of white gel pen highlighting was added and shading was added around the edge of the sentiment with a Black Soot distress marker.  The 'Just Wing It!' phrase from the Crafty Secrets stamp set was stamped with Stazon Opaque Cotton White ink and I coloured a mirrored star with 'Pesto' and 'Clover' alchohol ink.  A heart charm from my stash was aged with black and rust coloured acrylic paint and attached to a piece of lace with a rusty safety pin.


I love this sweet stamp!  I coloured her with Distress ink and a water brush and edged her wings with a bit of glitter glue.  Her wide spread arms seemed to be crying out for something to hold, so I made some fishtail banners from cardstock stamped with individual alphabet stamps to spell out the word 'fly' and hung them off of a piece of button thread.  I added Glossy Accents over each of the stamped letters to emphasize them and add a bit of shine.  The musical notes and the word 'sing' from the same Crafty Secrets stamp set were stamped with white Stazon.  I fussy cut this little fairy baby and mounted her on some pop dots on top of the branch.


More words and phrases from the Crafty Secrets stamp set were stamped with white Stazon on the bottom of the tag and I wrapped some jute twine around the bottom and added a tiny tag (cut from kraft cardstock with Tim Holtz's Tiny Tabs and Tags die) that had the word 'brave' added to it using Tim Holtz's 'Words' remnant rubs.  The edge of the large tag was distressed with Tim's tonic paper distresser and aged with some Walnut Stain DI.


Thanks as always for stopping by today and hope it is lovely and warm wherever you may be.  Have a great weekend and happy creating!

Deb xo

22 comments:

  1. I'm getting jealous, lol. this one is sooooooo cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable tag. I love the little girl. Doing my art journal I've had a lot of backgrounds that I mucked up. The nice thing is that if you keep adding to it and covering things up you can come up with something pretty darn nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely! Ann, is right-- you can keep adding and playing and wind up with something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is adorable! I love the colors you chose as well, it has a forest wonderland look to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie and thanks so much for stopping by! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Deb, love your inky background! Short visit today, sorry. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a sweet vintage looking child. Adorable with wings. Your background looks like all was perfectly intended. All the references to flight gives her all the confidence she needs. Cute tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie, that stamp has always made me smile! Deb xo

      Delete
  7. ok, i already loved every single thing about this, but reading the description & realizing that you really did "wing it" over top of a background that came out unintentionally makes it EVEN COOLER!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable and I just love all the colors and placing her on the branch was brilliant! Totally love this artsy tag! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful realisation of yours! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I can't believe they have discontinued this stamp. Your tag is utterly adorable, great techniques and fab details.
    Have a great weekend.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love how you put her on that limb, the image is just adorable and I love the WV sentiment, it is just all so perfectly designed and put together! Love the background too... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect combination of stamps you used for this! That little girl is so adorable and I think you saved your background quite nicely - I would have never known it wasn't intentional. Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous tag with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb! Look at this tag!! It's ADORABLE!! Look at all of the elements you've included...OH--and who cares about mucked up backgrounds--Embrace Imperfection!! :) :) You should see the pile of mucked up backgrounds that I have! LOL :) :) This is such a fun and playful tag--I swear I've stood in a tree just like this little girl and thought I could fly!! Well, a jump down is as close to flying as I ever got!! :) :) Just a wonderful creation through and through!! Good luck at the challenges :) (I'll be headed over to the last CC3 #34 myself at some point!) :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable! I love the stamp, stamping and the colors!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Deb. I love the sentiment, we've all been there. The little fairy is so cute, I have a polymer clay fairy suspended from my dining room light called First Flight. She makes me hopeful....lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just adore this tag! The layered background is wonderful - that perfect look of summer leaves against a blue sky - but the gorgeous little girl steals the show, with the perfect words to go with her. So that's "perfect" twice... told you I loved it! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo