Friday, August 21, 2015

Shoot For The Stars August Tim Tag

Happy Friday everyone, hope you've had a good week.  I can't believe that the weekend is here again already, time does indeed fly!  It's a cool and windy day here, we went from 30 C (86 F) yesterday to 12 C (54 F) today, rather a shock to the system!  It's feeling ... dare I say it ... very 'fallish' here today which is something I am definitely not quite ready for.

I completed by August tag to link up with Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015 challenge.  I won't go into all the steps that I used to make it as Tim has a wonderful tutorial on his blog (click here to see it) and I followed most of the steps he used to make his.  Here's a pic of my August 12 tags of 2015.


The die cut window background is a great technique and one I will be using often, so many possibilities with this one; Tim used word dies as did I but I can see using shapes and images as well to great effect.  I seemed to be on a star kick with my embellishments so chose the 'shoot for the stars' sentiment.


The gent I used for my image is from Tim's 'French Industrial' salvage stickers, he looks rather reeserved and distinguished don't you think?  I didn't have any mushroom alcohol ink to age my mirrored star so used a light coat of Pitch Black instead and also used it to colour the arrow adornment and my fragment charm. I added some star remnant rubs to the charm and attached it to the arrow with a fragment of rusty wire.


The globe the gent is resting his hand on is also from the salvage sticker set.  I don't have any small talk stickers so I typed the sentiment up on the computer, mounted the fussy cut words on some white cardstock and then sanded the edges back.  A spattering of gold metallic paint was added with a tooth brush after masking off the parts of the tag I didn't want covered.


Tim's goal with this month's tag was to find new ways to use supplies that we already have and also to add multiple layers to add interest.  So I layered some film strip ribbon embellished with more star remnant rubs from my stash along with a fragment of embossed foiled cardstock that was lurking in there as well.  The red bottle cap image was one I'd punched out for use in my junk journal so I embossed it with clear embossing powder and layered it on top of everything.  Adds a nice punch of colour I think.

The cap image also helped to cement the story of my tag; the gentlemen pictured is an entrepreneur and inventor who, through hard work and perseverance, attained world wide distribution rights and patents for his unique product.  His hand resting upon the globe signifies his accomplishment and the stars scattered around the tag represent his firm belief that anything is possible if you shoot for the stars!


So that's my take on Tim's August tag, thanks as always to Tim Holtz for his continuing inspiration and thanks to you for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend and happy creating!

Deb xo

18 comments:

  1. Super!! I love your quote! Our weather was the same-- upper 80s one day then 60s the next. I'm not ready for Fall either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sudden weather changes are a bit hard to take aren't they.We are approaching Spring with all the magic blossoms, making our suburb look like Fairy Land! Great tag! Love the quote! So true.We should aim high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tag. I love the look of the die cut window background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tag Deb! The filmstrip is a beautiful touch. I totally get the weather trauma - we had snow in Calgary today!
    ~~julia~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia and snow??!! That is so wrong on so many levels LOL! One of the good things about Calgary though is if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will do a 180, hope it's warm and lovely now! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Your gent does look very distinguished indeed and the story suits him perfectly! I love all the elements you added and the bottle cap image at the bottom is a perfect addition. Great gold splatting too! I think your take on Tim's tag this month is just brilliant! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, I love your tag, you can just take anything and make it into something wonderful. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you always have a back story too. So clever how you do this.Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE how you have him leaning on that! GREAT big font too...awesome! Fab take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita, Tim's tags are always so much fun to make! Deb xo

      Delete
  9. Love your take on the August tag - a great grungy look but with a splatter of golden light. I'm sure your entrepreneur will take to the skies very soon with that positive attitude.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story of your gent and your creative take on Tim's tag! It will be a miracle if I can pull this off this month! And it won't have those block letters! I don't own any of those! You've certainly inspired me with this, though! Love your pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara and hope you get a chance to give this tag a go, I've seen some great tags where folks have used the script words in the background if you have them. Have fun and thanks for visiting! Deb xo

      Delete
  11. OK--this will be my third time trying to leave a message here on your Tim tag.....my two previous messages have completely disappeared....So, if you see two messages behind the scenes somewhere.......
    But, let me try this one more time! :)
    Totally love your take on Tim's tag this month, Deb! Shoot for the stars, indeed!! I love the backstory your created for this distinguished gent and your mirrored star is my fav embellie on this tag--I love how you've colored it with Pitch Black AI! Good luck over at Tim's challenge!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tag Deb! Love the gentleman, the star and amazing background. Oh what am i saying I love whole thing!! Lol. Beautifully done. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great tag, that gentlemen is amazing on this background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, always love making Tim's tags! Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo