Saturday, August 22, 2015

Steampunk ATC's

Hello all, hope this finds you well!  I'm back again with another post to share some steampunk ATC's that I made for the current swap in our Mixed Media Studio group.  What is it about the steampunk theme that appeals to so many of us?  Our group has been pretty quiet the last while but as soon as the steampunk theme was announced, everyone came out of the woodwork to sign up for the swap LOL!

I made two ATC's and used a similar background technique for both of them.  I glued tin foil (aka aluminum foil or kitchen foil) to two pieces of cardstock and then embossed them using Tim Holtz's Clockwork folder for one and his Pocketwatch folder for the other.  I cut the embossed card to size ( 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"), coloured them with black acrylic paint and rubbed the black back while the paint was still wet, leaving it just in the crevices.  I then added bits of rust coloured paint, a bit more black and some brushed pewter here and there and dried them both.

Here's the first ATC:


I stamped the three gents from Tim Holtz's Possibilites stamp and die set and cut them apart.  I added wings to the middle feller and coloured him with Distress ink and a water brush.


I then stamped the clock from Tim Holtz's 'Life's Possibilities' stamp set, coloured it with more Distress ink and added the clock hands with a brad, all from my stash.


The nuts and bolts are glue on embellishments that I got at Michaels and I mounted a couple of them onto some gears 'cause you gotta have gears on a steampunk ATC!  The 'time flies' sentiment seemed appropriate for this ATC so I printed it out on the computer and finally edged the whole ATC with some Elements tissue tape.

The second ATC was a bit of a struggle, I knew I wanted to add the gears to a balloon stamp I had;


but wasn't sure where to go from there until I happened to drop one of the Possibilities gents on top of the stamped light bulb and, well, a light bulb went off LOL!


More colouring with Distress inks and a water brush on all of the stamped images and I used some Yellow Light acrylic paint (DecoArt Americana) on the light bulb filament.


Couldn't resist the 'flight of ideas' sentiment!  I edged this ATC with more tissue tape from the Elements tape set and there was the second ATC done.

I did kind of muck up the first ATC in that I brought the wing a little too far outside of the ATC border, they are meant to fit into a protective sleeve but the wing means that the ATC is too wide to fit.  So I've decided to make a box to put both of the ATC's in so that they will be protected both on their journey and once they make it to their destination and I'm going to use a YouTube video by PaperCrafter45 as my template.  I'm going to have to adjust the measurements slightly to accommodate these ATC's so will post a picture of the box as soon as I get it figured out LOL!  Have a great weekend everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! You do well with that theme. Boxes for them are a cool idea! Looking forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous ATCs Deb, love them. Look forward to seeing their little box too. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are awesome. I just saw something the other day using foil and embossing and had wanted to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic ATC's! Love the embossing. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who cares if they fit in a wallet or not - when they look this good! They are fabulous, I always love 'over the edge' - it just adds to the dimension. The backgrounds you created are fabulous and your lightbulb moment was very clever indeed. The recipient will be delighted with these and the boxes, I am sure... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These ATCs look awesome! I love the embossed tin foil. We discovered that a couple of weeks ago (as well as with foil paper cardstock). FUN! And a great texture. Especially as you have worked your paints into the petina. I'm looking forward to seeing your box that will care for these two great ATCs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie and the foil covered cardstock works very well and embosses beautifully doesn't it? What have you been making with your embossed foil? Looking forward to seeing whatever it may be! Deb xo

      Delete
  7. I like these cards, and the wing a bit outside of the border adds interest. I have a weakness for boxes so I like your idea for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE these! The big sentiment are wonderful. PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh good... I was hoping we'd get to see them in close-up! Fabulous textures and embellishing - especially love the first one with the marvellous winged chap and the layered screws and cogs in the corners - beautifully done.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are brilliant Deb, fab images and I love your backgrounds xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. FAB, FAB steampunk ATCs, Deb!! You know what? My hubbie was just asking if aluminum foil can be used in crafting and I said of course--come and look what Deb did!! :) :) (it's because I took his metal ducting tape!) I giggled when you wrote about what to do with the second ATC when the light bulb went on!! Love that, and there it is on your ATC!! Wonderful swap pieces, Deb!! Your group members are going to love receiving these!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ATC are exquisite! Simple exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How rude of me, I've pinned these before I commented lol. Deb these are fabulous little works of art, you've done a brilliant job in incorporating so much into such a small space, love them both xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo