Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Winged Tags

Hello, hope your week is off to a great start.  I've been working on a project to link up with A Vintage Journey's current challenge which is 'Things With Wings', hosted this month by the lovely Anne of Redanne.  Here is Anne's prompt:

Tim Holtz has designed the most wonderful butterfly, dragonfly and bird stamps, dies and papers.  We would like to see you create a project using one (or more if you wish) butterfly, dragonfly or bird.

I immediately thought of Tim's 'Butterfly Duo' die and embossing folder set and decided to make a butterfly hang tag.  But since it is a butterfly DUO die, I ended up with two beautiful butterflies and so ended up making two tags, variations on the same theme.

Here is the first tag, I created the background using Tim's stencil monoprint technique (Compendium of Curiositites, Vol III, page 48) using the Gothic layering stencil and Distress inks in the colours of Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky and Old Paper.


I found this wonderful quote online and decided that pairing it with the 'Knowledge' muse token was very appropriate.


I used a technique that I saw on Shari Trumbull's blog (Ain't That Artsy Fartsy) to crackle the word snippets and used Clear Rock Candy Distress paint to get that lovely crackle aged with Walnut Stain Distress ink.  Thanks for this technique Shari, I love it!  Do you see the bit of glitter in the upper left corner?  I wanted to add a bit of shine here and there to the tag so I applied some Star Dust Stickles glitter glue through the layering stencil with a palette knife.  It worked like a charm and is definitely something I will do again in the future.


The butterfly was cut from a masterboard that I coloured with Squeezed Lemonade, Ripe Persimmon and Spiced Marmalade Distress stains and inks.  I did some drops of stain and also of Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist onto the board plus some spritz and flick.  After cutting the butterfly with the Butterfly Duo die, I added some Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint.  You will note that this butterfly is not embossed ... that's because I got carried away and added the blue seed beads to her body before I remembered to emboss her!  I hand cut a heart from some corrugated card and then added some coffee stained cheesecloth in behind as the heart was looking a little stark against the tag background.


I added some curled gold wire to the butterfly for her antenna and mounted her on pop dots on top of the corrugated heart.  You can see all of the lovely crackle on the butterfly in this picture.


The upper corner of the heart was feeling a bit bare so I coloured a large mirrored star with Butterscotch and Caramel alcohol inks, much better!

After I was happy with the first tag, I moved on to butterfly tag number two.


I used a monochromatic colour scheme on this tag and used the stencil monoprint background technique again with the Gothic stencil but this time used Antique Linen, Old Paper and Weathered Wood Distress inks.  I then did some overstamping on the background using a script stamp and a couple of small butterfly stamps from a discontinued Crafty Secrets set.


I used the same masterboard to cut this butterfly and actually remembered to emboss this one after giving her a coat of Clear Rock Candy Distress paint!  I then added some clear micro beads for her body that were a gift from a friend.  More mirrored stars coloured in the same manner as on the first tag were added here and there.


Another lovely quote found on the internet was treated in the same manner as on the previous tag and was mounted on pop dots over top a fragment of lattice cut from the butterfly masterboard using one of Tim's Mixed Media Thinlits dies.


Here's a closeup of the butterfly, love all those crackles!  The 'faith' typed token was chosen to echo the quote used on this tag and I coloured it with Rust alcohol ink after highlighting the lettering with some Old Paper Distress paint.


Another closeup of the mixed media thinlit die cut (love them!) and the wonderful crackle on the words of the quote.


Thanks as always for stopping by my blog today and thanks to the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey for another wonderful prompt to inspire us.  Have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

27 comments:

  1. Two gorgeous tags with so many wonderful techniques on them Deb! love the sparkle through the stencil - the crackled sentiment blocks and your bright orange butterflies - thank you so much for joining us in the AVJ challenge Things with Wings! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deb, those tags are beautiful. I really like the message they convey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arlette and the quotes are wonderful aren't they? Very uplifting, which is appropriate for a winged tag :O)
      Deb xo

      Delete
  3. WOW Deb, these are gorgeous and I was planning to make some new tags and these are going to give me that inspiration - I'll share them soon on Google+ =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jemima and glad I could inspire you! (Thanks for the share as well!) Deb xo

      Delete
  4. Yes Deb, these tags are really beautiful.Inspiring quotes too.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The masterboard you created did you proud Deb, you have used it beautifully! I love the gorgeous backgrounds you created on both tags and the cracked butterflies are stunning in those wonderful colours. The sentiments are lovely on both tags and the crackling is brilliant.

    Thank you so much for joining in our Things with Wings challenge at A Vintage Journey! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tags Deb! Love the sentiments and such gorgeous color combos. Crackle effect gives them nice rustic feel :)
    Thank you for the inspiration!
    Hugs :)

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samra, I had such fun creating them and glad to have had a small part in inspiring you! Deb xo

      Delete
  7. Wow! Just beautiful Deb. I love them both:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Deb! They are stunning! so many awesome touches and details! You are definitely using your wings to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really do a great job on the details (I should take notes!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really beautiful Deb, those crackles are wonderful. Sorry I've not been around for a while, it's really good to be back! Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my, these are both beautiful. I love the crackle effect and the butterflies are amazing. The first one with the seed beads is so pretty and the second is just amazing looking with the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tags, I thought the first one was gorgeous and then saw the next one! Love them.
    Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela and hope you are having a great week too! Deb xo

      Delete
  13. Two times gorgeous, Deb! I love the backgrounds and crackle and of course those fabulous butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb...these winged tags are beautiful! I love both of them. You've used butterflies but your tags are completely different looking! Love the colorful backgrounds and the crackle. The sentiments are perfect for the butterflies and what great life lessons! Love the die cut heart on the one tag and Tim's die cut on the other. Beautiful work! I also wanted to thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment about my art journaling pages. SO sweet of you! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sayings are so inspiring I wrote them down. Beautiful creations ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how true about your wings getting stronger - what fabulous quotes, and I love the delicate crackle of them too. Beautiful glowing butterflies... a great pair of tags.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning Deb, from your lush backgrounds to those wonderful crackles we all love, finished off with beautiful sayings. I adore your tags.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both tags are absolutely beautiful, Deb!! Completely love your use of seed beads & micro beads on the butterfly bodies and OMG-Thank You for giving me a shout out!! :) It's easy to go crackle happy, I'm telling you :) :) I love both tags for different reasons--and it's the small stuff that makes me go WOW!! Like the little bit of glitter peeking through on your blue tag, then there's the addition of that delicate piece of mixed-media die cut you added on your second tag--LOVE IT!! I've got that die set, but have yet to use it! (what's up with that!?) Fabulous tags!! Good luck at the AVJ challenge!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. These tags are just gorgeous! I love the rusty orange! Love butterflies this time of year and always! Perfect creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by and commenting! Deb xo

      Delete
  20. I had inspiration from your gorgeous tags as I mentioned and I'll be uploading them to Google+, you can view them here @ https://plus.google.com/109901005914831298972/posts or later on my blog @ http://jemimasdigitalscrapbookingboutique.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see them Jemima, off to take a peek! Deb xo

      Delete
  21. Oops - should also have said thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo