Sunday, September 13, 2015

Autumn Leaves September Tim Tag

Hello, hope you all are having a great weekend.  We had a couple of lovely, warm sunny days to remind us that summer is not yet over but unfortunately the weather has changed drastically today and fall is most definitely in the air again.

The unseasonal temperatures have had me making lots of fall and Halloween creations lately and that fall feeling also influenced my September tag for Tim Holtz's 12 tags of 2015Tim's September tag is very bright and colourful but I went for a more monochromatic autumnal palette on my tag, partly because of our fall-like weather and partly because I have a very limited range of alcohol ink colours in my stash, mostly earth tones and neutrals (see below for the colours and supplies I used).


I won't go into great detail on how this tag was made as Tim has a wonderfully detailed tutorial on his blog and I mostly followed all of his steps.  I had to make a few changes as I didn't have all of the supplies but the substitutions I used worked pretty well for the most part.  I used photograph paper as my substrate for the alcohol ink background (not recommended I know but it was the only glossy surfaced paper I had) and I didn't have any frosted film so I used some recycled clear packaging instead for the leaf.


I stamped the leaf blueprint with black Stazon ink and then fussy cut the image and the word 'oak' (I realized after the fact I could have used the coordinating die to cut out the leaf, doh!)  I then spritzed the images on the reverse with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist to mimic the frosted film look, it worked not too badly!  I then GENTLY heated the plastic with my heat gun to curl up the leaf edges slightly, had to watch it like a hawk though because once it was heated it started to curl up very rapidly.


Here you can see the dimension of the clear packaging leaf over top the stamped blueprint image, love this technique!


I used a small leaf stencil by Plaid for the transparent embossing on my tag and added the jet black archival ink over the embossing as Tim did on his tag.  I spritzed with some Black Soot Distress marker and also added a spray of Antiqued Bronze Distress spray to echo the metallic sheen from the Copper Mixative in my alcohol ink background.  Unfortunately by Antiqued Bronze spray came out much heavier than I intended but hey, as Tim says, embrace the imperfections!


I love Tim's idea for affixing the word bands, I used some rusty wire on mine and some brass brads to echo the colour scheme.


So that's my take on Tim Holtz's September tag, doesn't look a darn thing like his but I did keep to his techniques.  I love how similar ingredients can be combined to create such different results, exploring the possibilities indeed!

I had promised you a picture of my nevermore skull Halloween decoration lit up at night and here you go.


Hee-hee, I love it!

I don't know if I'll get back here again to my blog before we leave on our camping trip, so in case I don't have a wonderful September and I will see you all again in October (weather permitting of course, it might be sooner than that if this weather doesn't smarten up!).  I will miss seeing all of your wonderful creations but will have lots of fun visiting you when I return.  Thanks as always for visiting and happy creating!

Deb xo



23 comments:

  1. Deb... The hang tag and skull are delightful! Enjoy your time away... Daryle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Fall colors! Will be a wonderful decoration for this time of year. Happy vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Halloween crafting...but oh, that leaf is gorgeous. You got such a nice effect with the things you did. We'll probably see some pretty leaves here soon. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn leaves - love them. The effect is so clever. I like the word band - it would make a nice pin/brooch too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty tag that is and I love how you did the leaf. Very cool Enjoy your camping trip. See you when you get back

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have known that this tag could be made any other way ~ it looks perfect as it is. I tend to use what I have for any project - sewing, quilting, home decorating - so I am impressed that you made do with the supplies you have on hand. If you are like me you like to finish things up before you go on a trip, and this is a good send-off tag:) Have a great camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tags are amazing, I always enjoy seeing your new creations. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, your autum leaves tag is so gorgeous! The colors are just dreamy. Oranges are my favorit for fall color. The oak leaf is awesome cool. So inspiring and very impressive art work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous tag Deb, those oranges are so full of light. I had to grin when you said you had hand-cut the leaf because I have done the same thing with one of the others and then remembered there was a die with it....... I think we just get so wrapped up with the making. I hope you have a lovely time away, the weather is unpredictable here now so Autumn is definitely on the way. Sending hugs, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much goes into these tiny pieces of true art! This is awesome - love how those brass bands pull the colors together! Enjoy your camping - my sister used to love to camp in the fall - best time for campfires! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This September tag is gorgeous and so Autumn-like. Have a nice trip and come back with lots of stories and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful fall version of Tim's tag Deb - love the sparkly thin leaf overlay and lovely fall colors! And your skull looks marvelous lit from behind!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you remember that song by Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly" That's what I started singing when I saw your post this morning - I found myself singing - strumming my heart with her art work - killing me softly with her skill - well you get the idea!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Deb...this is absolutely stunning! I love the leaf and warm, autumn colors! Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb...your September tag is so pretty. Love your dimensional blueprint leaf. That looks amazing! I also love your background colors...so reminiscent of the autumn leaves that are soon coming. (I can't wait!) The black band that you have attached your word band to is very striking with the black stamping. And your skull Halloween decoration....that is just the coolest! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stupendious tag you have here Deb! What a warm way to do the tag this month. Love the deep Browns and golds you have achieved-it's Autumn gold! Hehe! Your skull was awesome before but with the light it is even more electrifying! Wowzers! Wowzers! Hugz ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a gorgeous glow to your golden autumn take on the September tag - and wow the skull looks fabulous all lit up!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Deb-I love your take on Tim's tag this month!! Your improvisations are Fabulous!! Your warm AI colors just make me want to curl up and be all cozy with some coco!! Or snuggle in a sleeping bag and sit in front of a campfire! :) :)
    Happy Camping to you and your hubbie and your furries!! Stay Warm and see you in October!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tag is AMAZING! You are so clever to think of using packaging for the acetate and photo paper for the background! The leaf is just beautiful with the spots of gold! I just love these colors and want to go make a second tag now... LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the lit up look! That project rocked! LOVE your tag take too! Gorgeous embossed leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning and amazing take on the original!!! Love, love, love the colours you used too!

    Your lit up halloween piece looks absolutely incredible too, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your take on Tim's tag Deb, your Autumn leaves are beautiful and the improvisations are fab. Have a wonderful camping trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh how i ♥LOVE♥ this miss deb! no disrespect to tim, and his tag is fab... but yours is EVEN BETTER!!!!! ♥♥♥
    ps: hope you're having fun camping! (that seems like a contradiction in terms to creature-comfort-loving ME... but i'm assured by others that it is possible, lol!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo