Saturday, September 5, 2015

Curio(us) Cabinet

Hello everyone, hope you had a great week.  The weather here has been abysmal so my DH and I have been preserving the summer's bounty from my FIL's garden instead of going camping.  We've put up tomatoes, dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, tomato sauce and salsa; the pantry is now nicely restocked!

In between waiting for batches of preserves to process, I managed to get a new Halloween project completed.  I found some of Tim Holtz's new fall releases at my local Michaels (I was shocked, they never have any of Tim's wonderful goodies!) so I snapped them up and brought them home.  I have been wanting to make a configuration box but don't have any of the premade boxes so wondered if I could make my own?  I figured out I could use the reverse side of a stretched artist's canvas by making my own 'shelves' out of cardstock and it worked like a charm!


Here's a picture of the reversed stretched canvas before I added the 'shelves' that I posted to Instagram.


I painted the canvas inside and out with gesso and then added a coat of black acrylic paint and lined the inside of the canvas with a wonderful alchemists printable courtesy of Laura Carson at Artfully Musing (pssst, she is about to start her annual Halloween extravaganza on September 6th, make sure you follow along, it is going to be so much fun!  See the link to her blog at the top of my right sidebar.).  I spattered the alchemists print with walnut ink and tore it here and there to distress it.   I then cut 'shelves' from a triple thickness of kraft cardstock and covered them with some 'shelf liner' using vintage Halloween digital papers from Crafty Secrets.  All of the exposed edges of the canvas were similarly covered with papers from the same Crafty Secrets CD.  After gluing the shelves and dividers in place, it was time to start embellishing!


I made the curio(us) cabinet label on the computer (the font is called Blackwood Castle) and crackled it using Shari Trumbull's technique (Ain't That Artsy Fartsy).  The little wooden bat was a gift with purchase from Retro Cafe Art Gallery (thank you!) that I coloured with black alcohol ink, it dries in seconds, love it!  I coloured a watch hand from my stash with more black and rust alcohol inks and tied the 'beware' typed token (from the 'Oddities' adornments set) on to it with some rusty wire.  The beware token was also distressed with the same alcohol ink colours.  I covered the outside edges of the frame with some mummy wrappings (aka coffee stained cheesecloth :O).


I used lots of wonderful Halloween images and labels from Tim's 'Frightful' ephemera pack in behind the shelves.  The Jack O'Lantern in front of the black cat is a little putka pod and I topped him with a wonderful skull bead that I got at Alpha Stamps last year.  I made the scroll from a strip of torn copy paper aged with Vintage Photo distress ink.  The corked vial was aged using Tim's faux cracked glass technique (Compendium of Curiosities, Vol III, page 54) and I added one of the labels from his Apothecary vials to it.  The spider in the top right corner is a remnant rub from Tim's 'Curiosities' set.  The scalloped edging on the shelf was one I made on my computer using some wonderful skull images courtesy of Vectoria Designs.


The second shelf has more images from the 'Frightful' ephemera pack in behind and I added the witch hat remnant rub from the 'Curiosities' set to the old woman (thanks to Paula Cheney of One Lucky Day for this idea!).  The vial is from Tim's new 'Apothecary Vials' set (love those labels) that I filled with some ground black pepper.  I made the two little books to add to this shelf using digital images from the 'Apothecary Book Spines, Covers and More' set from Alpha Stamps (designed by the very talented Ms. Carson again!).


These books are VERY tiny, the one pictured above measures about 5/8" tall by 3/8" wide. And I don't know what possessed me (perhaps it was the ghost of our skeletal gent above) but I even added multiple teeny tiny pages to each of the books!


The spider charm from the 'Oddities' adornments was coloured with more black alcohol ink and is suspended by a length of black ball chain that I scavenged from another project.



I love the 'White The Druggist' all seeing eye graphic from the 'Frightful' ephemera pack!  I wanted to continue the 'eye' theme so dug out a white bead from my stash, added a large black pupil with a felt pen and drew on the blood vessels with some Red Pepper alcohhol ink.  I added the capital E bead on top to evoke the idea of an eye test chart.  The word oddities is another 'Curiosities' remnant rub and I added a bit of mummy wrapping (coffee stained cheese cloth) into the corner.  I filled a corked vial with some glossy accents coloured with Red Pepper alcohol ink and dripped some down the outside here and there.  A vial of vampire blood, bwa-ha-ha-ha!  The amber apothecary vial was filled with some yellow coloured dish washing soap that looks decidedly green through the amber glass, a vial of ogre drool perhaps ;O)  Just be careful though, the use of these two ingredients can be habit forming!

And finally, I finished off the back of the curio-us cabinet with a wonderful Edgar Allen Poe raven stamp.


This large background stamp is by Stampendous and it is their R152 Raven Background, love it!  I first coloured some cardstock with Distress sprays in Ripe Persimmon and Spiced Marmalade and then added Distress ink in Spiced Marmalade and Mustard Seed with some spritz and flick with water.  After that was dry, I stamped the image with Distress clear embossing ink, covered it with some Ranger Super Fine Black embossing powder and heat set.  A light spray of Lindy's Stamp Gang Van Dyke Sepia Moon Shadow Mist was then added along with some drops of walnut ink.  The edges of the cardstock were distressed and torn and edged with Black Soot Distress ink and finally it was adhered to the stretched artists canvas.


So there is my first make for this years Halloween festivities, I am so happy with the way it turned out.  And I'm really happy with the discovery that I can make my own configuration boxes using the reversed stretched canvases and some cardstock shelves, so many possibilities!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, it is a long weekend here in Canada, and in the U.S. also I do believe, as we celebrate the last long weekend of summer.  It's not feeling very summer-like here right now but I'm holding out hope that it will improve so my DH and I and the pups can get out camping without freezing our behinds off in a week or two!   In the mean time, I'm going to see if I can get a few more items made, I just got a fabulous, fun-filled delivery from Linda at The Funkie Junkie Boutique containing more Tim Holtz Halloween goodness plus, wait for it, those Crazy Birds!  I can't wait to stamp up those wonderful avians and adorn them in some goofy costumes because I also got the Crazy Things stamp set, too much fun!  I'll be back soon with some more makes I hope and until then, happy creating!

Deb xo

23 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, what a fun project this must have been to make! The reverse canvas idea is a really good one! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this beautiful project must have so much fun to do,, its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laurie and it was a lot of fun to make, I do love Halloween! Deb xo

      Delete
  3. what a great idea to use the canvas that way. this turned out awesome. a really fun project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant use of a reverse canvas & the teeny tiny books are so cool! What a great 3D project.
    {Julia}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia, it was so much fun to make! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Wicked Halloween goodness! Good stuff here girl! Fabulous details...I love those little books. The background pictures, those little bottles...all such fun. And the back is gorgeous! You know that's a favorite stamp of mine! I just don't have the words but I've loved examining this fun art piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie, it was so much fun to make and that stamp is just gorgeous, isn't it? Think it will be making an appearance again soon :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  6. Wow this is absolutely fabulous, I like everything about it!!
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of a canvas-- very clever! Love the details! What a fun decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much detail in your work Deb, it's cute, and very halloweeny. I love that Raven stamp...that's gorgeous.

    Went to K town's Michaels... they had literally nothing nice..what happened? It's expensively priced cheap junk there now...what a shame. Hopefully yours has a nicer selection available.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Halloween cabinet of spooky treats! Deb, I love all the little elements and they all equal Awesome! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eek, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this fantastic cabinet. This is just right up my street looking at all your curios and techniques, truly brilliant.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This takes my breath away, it is so amazing! The back, the shelves, the details, the talent you have, Deb! Standing ovation from Alberta here!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply fabulous, Deb - what a treasure trove of tiny Halloween goodies. I love the miniature books (would you like a job in Small Worlds, my mother's dollshouse museum?!), and fantastic stamp on the back. Clever you to create your own configurations box in the back of the canvas, and that apothecary background is beautifully distressed - will definitely check out the link, thanks for that.

    Huge WOW from me!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, DEB!! This is SPOOK-tacular!! I love every single little detail, but I think my favorites are the little itty bitty books!! And as I was reading this, I was wondering if you were going to do something to the back and there it is!! I love when the backs of creations are treated, too! :) :) Love that Stampedous image you've used and it finishes this entire piece wonderfully!! Happy Early Halloween to you!!! :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely amazing Deb, Halloween is definitely your thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very COOL!!! LOVE each box, and the trim and backside too! So fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many awesome little details I almost can't stand it - so cool Deb! (I love Poe!) ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am soaking up all you do like a sponge. I really think you like Halloween!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Deb, I'm going to have to finish my blog gawking with this piece as I am out of time...for now... but I'll be back! I love every ghoulish detail you have included in your frame box! A few of my favorites are the apothecary bottles filled with all those delightful must have ingredients, your bead "eye" and those incredibly detailed tiny books--of course they have pages--probably all neatly hand written or typed on your tiny typewriter--you crazy crafter, you! I say that with love! Oh, and I cannot leave without a comment on how I love what you've done with the beware token and that clock hand...genius work throughout this cabinet! big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo