Wednesday, September 9, 2015

More Halloween Spookiness

Hello, hope this finds you all well!  I've been playing with more Halloween treasures that I received from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, have to admit I went a bit wild as soon as I saw Tim Holtz's new fall releases!

Um yeah, there's even more down in the studio, I think I need an intervention!

I fell in love with that skull die as soon as I saw it and knew I wanted to make it the centerpiece of a new Halloween decoration.  And then two nights ago I woke up with a start and knew what I wanted to make ... the logistics of it took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing but I finally figured it out and here it is.


Don't you love it when you can bring one of your visions to life?  I'm so pleased with how it turned out!  But who is that peering out through the eyes of the skull?


Could it be?  Yes, it's the master of macabre himself, Mr. Edgar Allan Poe.


This fabulous image is one of the papers included in Tim Holtz's Regions Beyond paper stash and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use it.  I envisioned Poe peering out through the eyes of the skull die cut but I also wanted to somehow be able to light up the skull so it would glow eerily at night.  I was having a heck of a time trying to figure out the logistics of doing that until I remembered a 'bendy card' tutorial that Angela of Felix The Crafty Cat had shared awhile back.  While this is not a card, the bending 'wings' that Angela designed worked perfectly to form a spot where I could place a battery operated votive candle.


I'll try and get some pictures of it lit up at night to show you later this evening, it was looking very spooky as I was working on it last night!

The base of this Nevermore Skull Halloween decoration was created with black cardstock.  I adhered the Edgar Allen Poe paper to the back panel and then overstamped the image with one of the script stamps from the Ledger Script stamp set using Jet Black archival ink and clear embossing powder.  Some remnant rubs from Tim's Curiosities set were added here and there to the back panel and I then masked off Mr. Poe's image and sprayed it with Lindy's Stamp Gang Van Dyke Sepia Moon Shadow Mist, walnut stain and a bit of Biscotti Perfect Pearls.


The 31 token from the Frightful ephemera pack was adhered to the panel along with a couple of skeleton arms (the whole skeletons from Alpha Stamps were in an unfortunate accident and I now have skeleton bits LOL!)


I made head pins from some rusty wire and hung these fab skeleton beads (from Alpha Stamps) on pieces of chain from the skeleton arms.  The chain was scavenged from an old necklace.


I stamped the Happy Halloween sentiment from the Undertaker stamp set with Jet Black archival ink and clear embossed it.  After it was cooled, I coloured the cardstock with some Old Paper distress ink and edged it with more Old Paper DI plus some Vintage Photo and Black Soot.  The words were then fussy cut and backed with a piece of black cardstock to give it stability and it was glued onto the bottom bendy 'wing' over top of lots of layered ephemera from the Frightful ephemera pack.


I stamped the small top hat skull from the Undertaker stamp set onto cardstock with Jet Black Archival Ink and clear embossed it, then coloured it with Old Paper DI and fussy cut the image.  The Celtic cross gravemarker was resized from an image I had in my stash.  Not sure of the provenance so if you recognize it as one of your images please let me know so I can give you credit.  You can just see some more paper from the Regions Beyond paper stack peeking out from behind the top hat skull, I covered both of the cardstock bendy wings with a couple of different papers from that wonderful stack.  The spooky flash card is from the Frightful ephemera pack.


More Frightful ephemera on this side along with another tombstone from the same printable as the Celtic cross gravemarker.  The obituary stamp in behind the tombstone is from the Undertaker stamp set.  The skull die cut was spritzed with some Antique Linen Distress spray and than I added just a touch of Gathered Twigs spray as well.  Before spraying the skull I masked the teeth with some misket to keep them pearly white :O)  The edges of the skull and all openings, including the detail cuts, were coloured with Pumice Stone and Vintage Photo DI.


So there you go, that's my Nevermore Skull Halloween decoration, an homage to Mr. Edgar Allan Poe.

"...and his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - Nevermore!"



Thanks so much for stopping by again today and happy creating (or is that happy haunting?!)

Deb xo

25 comments:

  1. What an awesome Halloween creation, you can make anything prim perfect. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here giggling about the skeletons that were in an unfortunate accident. This is seriously an awesome project. You never fail to amaze and impress me with all the detail you put in to everything you do. I can imagine how cool it looks lit up

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have created a very spooky craft today...shivvvvvver. LOL.

    The wonderful thing about Tim Holtz...is the attention to detail in every item. There is always a feast for the eyes in that line.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is absolutely amazing Halloween make! I looooooooooove it! Halloween is my favorite holiday so anything spooky and creepy is my thing :)
    Thank you for the inspiration :)
    Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Samra and Halloween is my favourite time of the year too, so many spooky creations to make. Glad I was able to return the favour and inspire you, you always inspire me whenever I visit your blog! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! Are you sure you weren't having a nightmare?!!! LOL! it is amazing but I know what you mean when you feel so good about bringing an idea to reality. Fab details Deb Its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool decoration. I hope Tim is able to view it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How in the world did I get lucky enough to have found your blog - I am in love. You know I am going to copy you to the grave (please Lord not anytime soon!) I love this - LOVE it -- I bow to your talent. I am a big Halloween fan. One of my favorite things in the whole world is to venture into an old cemetery - really old one where the tomb stones are so elegantly carved. I am off to buy some of the products you used.
    Bravo!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a perfect use for the bendy card design Deb and I love it to bits. Thank you for linking back to mine too.
    Sending big hugs, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out so great using your wonderful bendy card idea Angela, I was rather stumped on how I was going to light it up until I remembered your tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and thank you for your lovely comment :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  9. oooo wow! This is sooooo awesomely hauntingly amazing! I adore everything about it! I am so with you, I neeeed that die! Love all the details and Poe peeking is so divine!
    Love love love it!
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim, I am really happy with the way it turned out! Deb xo

      Delete
  10. This is just SO cool Deb! What a great idea and you worked it out wonderfully - love all the little spooky details - I bet it looks super scary lit up in the dark!!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really clever - I love how Mr Poe is peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous Halloween project Deb ! I'm so glad you told us who the eyes belonged to! I'm sure this will look fantastic lit up on all Hallows eve ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, it is quite spooky at night, I love it! :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  13. WOW! I am just amazed at how you put all of this together. The eyes are amazing. Good job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is our duty to ring in the fall season and the approaching holidays Deb! You HAD to buy the new goodies and create this wonderful ode to the most wonderful season! Poe would be proud my friend. Amazing as always. Love your detailed descriptions of how things come together. Have a great weekend! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliantly done, Deb - love how Poe is peeping out through the skull's eyes, and the bendy card effect on all that fabulous spooky ephemera. Great finish on the skull too - the spatter shapes it beautifully. I also fell in love with it at first sight, but have been resisting so far. You may just have put an end to that!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb, I have to apologize, both to you and to me, for not getting by your blog for an entire month, and what a month it has been for you! I'm going to be here for days! So I figured I would start at the beginning here, and work back until I see each and every piece I've missed!

    Wow, I do love Halloween, and this is just an amazing Halloween centerpiece with that spooky Poe peeking through his skull mask! Your background piece is to die for! I love how Poe seems to be emerging from the dark of the night! Oh, I could go on and on about this, but I'll just sum it up and say FANTASTIC! Bravo, my dear! I'll be off to check your posts out, each and every one. I may not have the time to comment like I want, but we'll see how that goes. (I only have limited computer time.) Big hugs and huge congrats on that big haul from the Funkie Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deb,
    Another brilliant project. Loved to see all the steps, bit and pieces and the end result. If you ever need something to glow, you can buy Glow in the Dark paint, check Michaels if there's one near you or $$ stores. They might have it also. I light coat won't buckle the paper I'm sure. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Deb--You scared me with this!!! :) :) I LOVE IT!!! I love seeing those melancholy eyes of Mr. Poe peeking through the skull's eye sockets...ooooohhhh so spooky!! And love your addition of the little candle to cast an eerie glow amongst the macabre embellies and ephemeras---ooooohhh soooo scary!! YAY for you getting all kinds of new spooky, Halloween goodies (I may have, too) ;) :) I can't wait to see what else you make for Halloween!! Happy Weekend, Deb!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is brilliant Deb what a fabulous project! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. you know, i saw that skull die and somehow i just couldn't imagine how it'd be used and now i'm like DUH LAUREN, just like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo