Sunday, September 6, 2015

Oh Those Darn Crazy Birds!

Hello blogging peeps, hope you are having a great weekend.  I have been having a blast playing with my new Crazy Birds stamps and dies that I just got from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  Why oh why did I wait so long to get them, they are absolutely hilarious!

I started out by stamping one of the Crazy Birds and dressing her up for Halloween trick or treating using the Crazy Things accessory stamps.


But wait, what's Priscilla looking so worried about?  Even her pumpkin buddy is looking a bit bug eyed, what could be so frightening?


Oh no, it's zombie Crazy Birds!!  Run for your lives!!

This canvas was such a hoot to make, I was laughing non stop as I made these crazy zombie birds :O)  When I first made Priscilla, I stamped her out twice and then die cut her eyes, beak and wing using the new Thinlits Bird Crazy dies so I could mount them on pop dots.  For some reason (I worry about the way my mind works sometimes!) the stamped image with the eyes missing reminded me of a zombie and well, the rest is history!

I used a flat artist's canvas for the backdrop, painted with multiple layers of watered down acrylic paint in various shades of blue and then edged the canvas with some black acrylic paint.  I cut the branch using Tim Holtz's Bird Branch die and adhered it with some Ranger matte multi medium.  Next I stamped three more of the Crazy Birds onto a gray cardstock with Jet Black Archival ink and embossed them with clear embossing powder.  I die cut their bodies and then cut out their eyes and backed them with some card stock coloured with Picked Raspberry Distress Reinker for a really intense colour.  I then coloured all of the zombie Crazy Birds with various shades of green Distress inks using a water brush.


The tombstone was a freebie courtesy of The Graphics Fairy and I added the stone effect and the lettering on PicMonkey.  The 'eek' was die cut using Tim Holtz's new Halloween Words: Script Thinlits dies.   I adhered all of the zombie birds with Ranger matte multi medium and added shading around everything using a Black Soot Distress marker.


I randomly added some bats using Tim's new Batground layering stencil (I LOVE the name of that stencil!) and then decided to randomly add some of the offcut zombie bird eyes to the canvas as well.  I know I saw this technique on someone's blog awhile back, so if you were the brilliant person who first thought to do this let me know so I can give you credit!


I absolutely adore these Crazy Bird stamps!  I foresee many a Crazy Bird appearing in my future!


Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope the zombie Crazy Birds didn't freak you out too much, despite their rather unnerving appearance they just want to be your friend (and eat your brains bwa-ha-ha-ha!)  Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks as always for stopping by.  Happy creating!

Deb xo



24 comments:

  1. Oh Deb this is positively awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if these zombie birds just want to eat my brain, I'm afraid they'll go away still feeling hungry since there isn't much brain there these days....lol
    This is great. I love the look of those birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek! Brilliant Crazy Zombie Birds! It's so clear how much fun you had cracking open your Crazy Birds for the first time... I agree, once you do it, you wonder why you waited! A fabulous, fun Halloween canvas... the expression on Priscilla's face is hilarious (and her pumpkin too!).
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so wonderful I just can't stand it. I am about to wet my pants with excitement -- can I steal some of your ideas????? I will give you tons of credit -
    I want to make a canvas too - wouldn't these make absolutely smashing Halloween cards!!!!
    Thanks for all the fun this morning!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! This is so creative! Thanks for sharing Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, love your canvas. I am so in love with these birds but still waiting for the arrival of the Crazy things stamps.
    The eyes are a brilliant touch. Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela and you will have so much fun with these stamps, they are so hilarious and folks have been doing some amazing things with them, can't wait to see what you create! Deb xo

      Delete
  7. Brilliant crazy zombie birds ....whatever will these birds get up to next. Fantastic creativity Deb.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Deb, this is fabulous, such fun - you gotta love these crazy birds! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so crazy cute and fun, Deb! You can just tell by looking at them that you had a blast creating them!
    Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just a genius making those birds into zombies!!! OMGOSH I LOVE this!!! FUN!!! PINNING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks so much Anita, they were a hoot to make! Deb xo

      Delete
  11. They just want to be my friend, eh? What fun you've had. Halloween is such a fun time to craft and you used some new elements. Love the cute little yellow bird. I'll be HIS friend. bwa hahaha! I mean.... HUGS, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb....absolutely DARLING!!! Your zombie crazy birds are sheer genius, girl. SO SO darn cute and so clever! Those purplish-pink glowing eyes are a crack up. And that poor little unsuspecting trick or treater is just a hoot! I love your creations! So fun! Thanks so much for the super sweet comments you have left for me as well! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun piece , love this , love how,you coloured their eyes, the zombie birds are such a clever idea. This really made me smile, love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally Fabulous, Deb!! I bet you were laughing and giggling the whole time!! :) :) This canvas board is so fun and spooky and just too cute!! Oh, zombie birds can be cute!! :) :) Such a wonderful home décor piece for your Halloween decorating!! BOO--Oh, just scared myself!! :) :) Have a GREAT week!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Crazy Birds, how I love you! You are truly a mad genius Deb! This takes the cake! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such great fun! You did a terrific job, I love the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this on Instagram first and had to come over! This is hilariously awesome sauce! Loves it and I laughed as well. You creative genius you! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun are these zombie birds! and look at the face of the other bird just trying to do a little Trick or Treating and he comes upon this scene!! Great inspiration for these stamps Deb!!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops sorry - I just called Priscilla a boy (!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deb, you made me laugh out loud with your post...this is such a fun canvas, and makes me wonder if I am the only person on earth without these birds, and why have I passed them up! You have really made such a unique use of them--zombies, of course!!!! I love the little pumpkin with treatster is carrying! Well done on a sweet little crazy bird canvas! Loves those zombie eyes; how clever, you! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the crazy birds and clearly you had a lot of fun with this project. Don't ever deny yourself fun things, you'll go to get them and they'll be gone evermore.... ;o(

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo