Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Snowman Finish

Happy hump day everyone!  Hope you are all having a great week, I finished up the folk art snowman that I gave you a sneak peek of in my last post and here he is.


He is adapted from an original pattern by Becky Erickson, I added the feather tree and the 'Let It Snow' banner and also gave him some rusty jingle bells on his tummy and scarf.


I do love that sweet face, amazing what a few stitches with embroidery floss can accomplish!


The mittens are made from cotton muslin painted with acrylic paint and edged with some coffee stained quilt batting.


The feather tree was made by adding torn strips of cotton quilting fabric to a branch cut from our lilac tree, simple but effective!


I made the 'Let It Snow' banner by creating a triangular pendant shape with my Paint.net program and then adding the individual letters and the snowflake images using PicMonkey.  I printed them all out, fussy cut them and strung them onto a piece of button thread.


His bottom has been weighted down with some ground walnut shells so that he'll stand firmly and a scattering of real mica flakes here and there finishes him off.


Love how he turned out!  He will eventually be available for sale in my Etsy shop, along with the snowman cheesebox light I showed you yesterday, but I'm just waiting on listing them as our Old Farmhouse Gathering Etsy team is supposed to be having a winter celebration.  I'd like to include them in the celebration but there seems to be a delay in getting it started so if it doesn't get organized soon I'll go ahead and list them in a couple of weeks.

I want to get a couple of more Halloween mixed media projects done, including Tim Holtz's October 12 Tags of 2015, so it will be back with a little spookiness here shortly!  Have a great rest of the week everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo

22 comments:

  1. He turned out cute! For some reason, I really like the scarf fabric. Great scale for him. Looking forward to your TH tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Deb. Good job and am sure he will go to a good home in no time...;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is very cute! I love the feather tree and the let it snow bunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable. I love him. I've always had a soft spot for snowmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything about this guy Deb! The little banner is so tiny and cute! Can't wait to see the spookiness you have brewing! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is so cute, and in the best way Deb....your works are always so tastefully lovely and adorable! I bet he's going to make someone a wonderful Christmas, [can't believe I said the word already] display.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful creation!! I adore folk art projects, he is just so lovely!! Very clever from beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet snowman! His expression is so whimsical! Love how you made the banner and tree!
    Great work, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your snowman, he is so adorable with the banner and tree, awesome creation. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb!! I am such a lover of fabric holiday home decor! This snowman is absolutely adorable. I love the original design but I also love your added feather and banner. So cute! I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous!!! LOVE that you sewed this! He is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What do you mean eventually he will be in your Etsy Shop - I want to buy him now - I want to be first in line. I love snowmen!!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is absolutely adorable. I love his sweet little face:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, well there you go... I'm so far behind that I'm getting to see the finished deal before I've seen the sneak peek! I'm here now though, and so happy to see this gorgeous rustic folkart snowman - he's absolutely enchanting. I love his friendly face, the great fabrics for his scarf and mittens and fab little tree, and the jingle bell buttons are a brilliant touch. Adorable!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, absolutely stunning......you are one very talented lady.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Snowman Deb, love him. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely snowman! He looks like he could be a character from one of Roald Dahl's storybooks for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I love the new design of your blog.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Arlette, what a lovely compliment! And glad you like the new blog look, had to change it up for fall :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  18. Love this Deb, love the homespun feel and his face is gorgeous, like you say amazing what a bit of floss can do. Love his mittens and tree too. He is gorgeous . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a Fabulous and Fun vintagey snowman, Deb!! I love him and that darling tree he's standing next to--love how you created the tree, too!! Every detail is just wonderful and I'm sure he's going to sell fast!! It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas here at Paxton Valley Folk Art!! :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo