Saturday, October 24, 2015

Birch Trees And Reindeer

Happy Saturday everyone!  Hope you had a great week and have lots of fun and creative stuff planned for the weekend.  I've been playing with some of the new Christmas releases from Tim Holtz that I just bought and here's an ornament that I made using the Birch Trees die, which I love!

In fact, I loved the die so much that I didn't want to cover it up so I used a piece of clear packaging to mount the adorable little reindeer on so you could still see the birch trees in behind.


I used some transparent texture paste to stencil the snowflake onto the clear packaging and then, while it was still wet, I sprinkled on some white sparkle embossing powder that I had in my stash.  Once the texture paste was dry, I heat embossed the snowflake, you can find the how to for the technique on Tim Holtz's blog (12 Tags of 2015 - March).  The packaging shrunk and wrinkled as the embossing powder melted, love the dimension it created!  I spritzed the back of the clear packaging with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist like I did on my September 12 Tags of 2015 to simulate Tim's Frosted Film and then added some gold Stickles glitter glue around the outside edge of the clear packaging circle. I added some of the gold glitter glue to the reindeer's antlers as well, he is the Leaping Deer die from Memory Box and I cut him from some Core-dinations cardstock that was embossed with the Spellbinders Circles impressabilities die.

I mounted the clear packaging circle onto a memo pin and added the 'peace on earth' tidings token and the star brad to the pin (another Tim Holtz technique, check out his 12 Tags of 2015 -May for the how to).


The snowflake was attached to the memo pin with a jump ring before the tiding token was attached and I dyed some crinkle ribbon with Distress Ink and made a bow to disguise where the memo pin was inserted into the ornament.

I heat embossed the snowflake and the star brad with the same white sparkle embossing powder that I used on the snowflake.


Love how the embossing powder adds so much texture to the metal embellishments and how you can change the colour of them to coordinate with your project.  (If you are going to try it, be careful, the metal gets VERY hot as the powder melts - use tweezers!!).

I added some vintage Christmas printables from my stash to the back of the ornament plus a snowflake die cut that was gifted to me.


I only had silver tinsel stems so I coloured the stem for the hanger with some Butterscotch alcohol ink and a touch of Copper mixative, worked like a charm!

I do love how this ornament turned out, we are going to do a Christmas ornament exchange in our Mixed Media Studio group so this just might end up heading off to one of them ;O)


I've got another ornament in the works using the new Tim Holtz Holly Ribbon embossing folder and hope to have pictures tomorrow to share with you.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and happy creating!

Deb xo

13 comments:

  1. Wow Wow Wow Deb, what a stunning project and I love how you used the acetate within your design to keep this beautiful birch tree die visible. Your colour choice is so beautiful....just love the whole design.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb these are really lovely, I like to use acetate too when I don't want to cover things up. Only 60 sleeps now till Christmas :-) Have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. You never fail to impress with your projects. I love how you are always able to make do with what you have like with your silver tinsel stem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great color scheme! The entire piece is very lovely-- and you even decorated the back! I like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My birch trees have only just arrived and I haven't had a chance to play yet, but this is giving me itchy fingers! Gorgeous colour palette and lovely textures. Fabulous festive hanging!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb, this is so very beautiful, blues and browns are wonderful together and I love how the snowflake turned out - that is such a great technique. I have the trees too but have not really had any ideas for using them, until now that is! Beautiful work. Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - thanks for the info on the Trudeau's - that was a very impressive win! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy are you busy!!! You are knocking it out of the park with your gorgeous creations! Here's to you!!! LOVE your stunning card! Those birch trees just speak to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anita! I was on a roll but things have come to a grinding halt now, wish I knew a way to keep the mojo rolling LOL! I do love that birch tree die, think it will be making lots of appearances :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  9. You are a busy crafter and all of your designs are fantabulous! Genius idea to use the clear piece to mount the reindeer to as it brings concise contrast to your lovely background. Awesome sauce!

    PS-Hocus Posuc is a great movie and not scary at all. My Bookif Horrors would be for a rated R version. Lol! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Niki :O) And thanks for the info on Hocus Pocus, after seeing your Book of Horrors there is not I chance I would have watched it, that was terrifying LOL! Deb xo

      Delete
  10. So nice. I love seeing how you did all of these pieces. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy and you are so welcome, glad you enjoyed it! Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo