Saturday, October 31, 2015

Fall Leaves Art Journal


Happy Halloween my ghoulish friends!  Hope that you have the pumpkins carved and the treats ready for all the little hobgoblins that will be visiting soon.

I've been working on an art journal page to link up with the latest challenge at A Vintage JourneyAlison is the host this month and she challenged everyone to do some 'Art Journaling With Tim'.  Here is her brief:

"Art Journaling with Tim?" I hear you cry... "But Tim Holtz doesn't do much art journaling".  You're right, he doesn't (or if he does, he keeps it to himself!), so what I'm looking for is how you incorporate Tim's techniques, style and products into your own art journaling.

As the fall season is upon us, I decided to do an art journal page in the colours of fall using Tim's Distress inks and stains and also incorporated many of his wonderful leaf dies and embossing folders.


The background was created with Distress Stains blended while wet and then flicked with water droplets and some Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray.  Bits of paper ephemera and Symphony tissue tape were adhered with gesso and some overstamping was done with the Ledger Script stamp.  Vines and branches were stenciled on with some Ranger matte texture paste and coloured with Distress paint and then the whole page was sealed with matte Mod Podge.

I coloured three pieces of cardstock in different colour ways for the leaves using Distress stains, inks and sprays.  The leaves were die cut using the Layered Leaf die, the Leaf Blueprint die and the Arbor die.  I also cut two of the Mixed Media thinlits dies from the same masterboards as well as cutting the 'FALL' label using a Spellbinders die.


In the upper left corner, I added a wee bundle of twigs (perhaps some kindling for a fall bonfire?) that also has the 'play' Typed Token attached as a reminder to make sure you jump into these piles of fall leaves! The typed token was coloured with some Wild Honey Distress paint and some alcohol inks.

Over on the right side of the page, Arbor leaves were cut from watercolour paper coloured with Distress inks and lettered with some alphabet stickers courtesy of Canadian Scrapbooker Magazine and attached to the stenciled texture paste branch.


I also used a glass pebble to overlay a snippet of dictionary page where the word autumn appeared, adhering the pebble with some Glossy Accents.


I do believe that I first learned this technique from Alison, the host of this month's challenge at AVJ, so it seemed appropriate to include it on my page :O)

I found this vintage picture of a young feller proudly holding his prize pumpkin on Pinterest.


I coloured the black and white image with some Distress ink and a water brush and mounted it behind an Idea-ology Fragment that was coloured around the edges with some alcohol ink.  You can find the how-to on this technique (and many more ideas on using Fragments) on Tim's blog here.

The FALL label was lettered with the same alphabet stickers and the edges of the label were highlighted with just a touch of copper Stickles glitter glue.


I also coloured a Mirrored Star with alcohol ink to nestle amongst the fall leaves in this  corner.

So that is my fall leaves art journal page using many of Tim Holtz's products and incorporating some of his techniques as well.


I had a lot of fun art journaling with Tim, thanks for the great prompt A Vintage Journey!  There are still a few days left in the current challenge, so break out your Tim supplies and your art journal and head on over to join in the fun!

Thanks as always for stopping by today and hope that you have a fun and safe Halloween my friends, happy haunting (and creating!).

Deb xo



14 comments:

  1. This is an awesome art journal page. I love how you did the tree branch

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fall leaves are gorgeous. I have worked in my art journal but not lately. I need to get it back out and get creative! It might help me to enjoy Fall more! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! Really like the small boy pic. Adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Deb, what a great fall! You are going to laugh but since I always look at the photos before reading, I thought the words Leaves and Fall were made out metal of some sort. I even imagined you tracing them on your metal sheets then cutting them out. Silly me!
    Take care,
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Arlette, thanks for the vote of confidence but believe me the letters wouldn't look anything like that if I had to cut them out myself!! Thank goodness for die cutting machines and stickers :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  5. You really have captured the wonderful rich colours of Autumn beautifully in your page Deb and I love the texture you have created. The pebble is such a lovely accent, as is the fragment with the picture of the boy. A wonderful page! Thanks so much for joining in Alison's challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so prolific, it's hard to keep up. Autumn is my favourite season, so anything related to that trumps everything else...;o) Awesome work Deb.
    Your blog sidebar is doing what mine was, it has a shaking thing going on. To fix that, move your followers gadget to the bottom of the sidebar, right to the bottom and it should stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your journalling pages Debs and those gorgeous autumnal tones and varied leaves.
    Fab touches with the pebble and picture
    TFS at AVJ
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this Deb, beautiful colours and I really like the photograph xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two wonderful fall pages Deb! love the thickness of your leaves and letters - it looks like the beautiful leaves just fell from the trees onto your journal!! Thanks for joining us in the AVJ challenge!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious leaves, so full of colour and texture. I love how you've layered in the Harlequins and honeycomb dies too, and the autumn definition in the glass pebble is a wonderful finishing touch. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the above comments - the fall colors are so beautiful. The background is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Deb, I sure did miss your gorgeous creations!! Just popped my head in to say thanks so much for all of the kind comments you left for me while I was away, you are so sweet! I am mostly all settled in now and finally able to take some time to visit my favourite blogs!! Take care and I will see you again soon. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo