Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Peace And Joy

Happy hump day everyone, can someone please tell me how it got to be Wednesday already?!  I do have to admit to being pre-occupied as we just had a federal election here in Canada on Monday (congratulations to Prime Minister Elect Justin Trudeau!) so the days have been flying by but really, the week is half over already and I totally missed it!

While waiting for polling station results to roll in, I did start on a new Christmas card to link up with Linda (The Funkie Junkie) Coughlin's 12 Tags Of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style challenge.  I am woefully behind (it is now week four and I've only just finished her week 2 challenge!) but we do have until December 20th to get all of our challenge creations submitted so I'm feeling hopeful that I'll get them all done.  If you haven't checked out Linda's challenge, click here to read all about it, she is offering a very generous gift from her store the Funkie Junkie Boutique to three lucky winners!

Linda's inspiration tag featured the new Tim Holtz Woodland dies and beautiful stars so those were two of the elements I used to create my peace and joy Christmas card.


I started out with a blue ombre Distress ink background and then used a water stamping technique with the Tree Line stamp set to create the background.  (You can find the water stamping technique on page 35 of Tim Holtz's Compendium of Curiosities Volume I and also view a Jennifer McGuire video on YouTube of the technique by clicking here.)


I then did a bit more stamping with Distress inks in greens overtop the water stamped images using the Tree Line stamp set and then spritzed the background with some Lindy's Stamp Gang Van Dyke Sepia and Broken China Distress Spray.

The stars were die cut using two Simon Says Stamp star dies from cardstock coloured with shades of yellow Distress inks and then they were all dusted with some Perfect Pearls for a little shimmer.


I also added some streaks of gold Stickles glitter glue radiating from behind the largest store at the top of the tree and added wee dots of gold glitter glue here and there throughout the night sky as well as on a few of the tree branches.

The Woodland trees were die cut from cardstock coloured with several shades of green Distress ink and then I also die cut each of the trees again from white cardstock.  I slightly bumped the two die cuts when I layered them to give the impression of snow laden branches.  For the two trees in the forefront, I die cut each of the trees yet again from some white fun foam and layered it behind to give them some dimension.  Here's a view so you can see how they are slightly elevated off of the card.


The white fun foam trick was one I learned in an On-Line card class I took earlier this year, it works like a charm!

The peace and joy banner along the bottom was created using Tim Holtz's Holiday Words:Block die.


I first die cut the words from kraft cardstock and cut out the fish tail banner shape from the negative die cut.  I then die cut the words again from white cardstock and pieced the white letters into the negative spaces on the banner.   I white embossed a metal snowflake brad (from the $1 store) and then added a Tim Holtz Yuletide Fastener on top after cutting of the prongs.  The edges of the fishtail banner were aged with some Clear Rock Candy Distress paint and then aged with Ground Expresso Distress ink when dry.


It gives the banner a look of old cracked leather, love it!

And to add a little interest to the inside of the card, I stamped a couple more of the Tree Line evergreens on the inside using Distress Ink, lightly misting the stamp with water before stamping the images to give a watercolour effect.


So that's my make for week two of the 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style.


For her third tag, Linda used the Holiday Knits dies and I can't wait to give them a try, they are sitting down in the studio patiently waiting for their inaugural outing.  I hope to have something to show you in a day or two so hope you'll be able to stop by again then.  Thanks as always for stopping by today and happy creating!

Deb xo




25 comments:

  1. The trees are beautiful, and the colors are calming. I would frame this and enjoy the scene all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really gorgeous! The trees are dynamite, love 'em! The banner is so wonderful and rich, really looks like it is blowing in the wind. Thanks so much for sharing!~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I love that new Woodland tree die, I'm having to restrain myself from putting it on everything LOL!
      Deb xo

      Delete
  3. Super! I really like the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, this is lovely. I thought it was a canvas at first it's so gorgeous and I agree with Sharon it would be nice to frame it. Take care and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela, I had a lot of fun creating it! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. I love Linda's challenge and this is a stunning card! Love that starry background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicole, I'm getting wonderful inspiration from Linda 's amazing tags! Deb xo

      Delete
  6. Beautiful in and out! LOVE the whole scene! LOVE the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my that turned out really nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pretty forest and wonderful banner Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out really good. I love the trees against that background. Great idea with the banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, I love your beautiful card! How nifty to die cut in white for a snowy branch effect. I like that idea. The colors are all amazing. The whole card design is awesome. And love the water color effect trees on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie! I got the idea of bumping the die cuts from seeing folks bumping their stenciled images to create shadows and highlights and it worked like a charm :O) And I am seriously enamored of the water colour stamping, my newest obsession LOL! Thank you for your kind words, Deb xo

      Delete
  11. The water stamping is such a great technique and you have used it beautifully, your card is stunning.

    Is Justin by any chance related to Pierre Trudeau? I am a bit behind with Canadian politicians these days....

    Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb this is wonderful, what a brilliant technique to use the white fun foam - this is one that I am going to squirrel away. I don't suppose you would swap Pierre for David Cameron would you - pretty please! Have a fun weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Deb. You really do excellent work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Danice, how kind of you to say that! Deb xo

      Delete
  14. Love this! I have just started having a play with these trees, and I already love them. They look wonderful here in fresh green against the starry sky.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a super job you have done on this card, Deb! I'm loving every tiny detail from the radiance behind the main star to the white craft foam behind your trees. Love the water stamped trees in the background too. Thanks so much for sharing it with my visitors over at the 12 Tags of Christmas challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so appreciate all the links you provide, Deb. I know how much time it takes and it is so valuable. Not that I every think I could even come close!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful. I don't know where to start...The ombre background is amazing. You did a great job with that,and it really sets off all the elements of your card. Now - that white foam base for the trees - brilliant. I will definitely be using that inspiration in future projects. I can't wait to see what you do for week 3.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo