Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Undertaker

Hello blogging peeps, happy Thursday!  Hope you are having a good week, I have been down in my studio the last couple of days getting my fingers inky again working on Tim Holtz's October 12 Tags of 2015.

As I don't have any of the new Sizzix dimensional Halloween dies that Tim used on his tag (click here to see Tim's tag and to read his tutorial), I had to do a little out of the box thinking this month to try and emulate the look of Tim's 3D tag.  A Halloween theme was a definite must and I immediately thought of the new Undertaker stamp set that I just got.  I wondered if I could use the large top hat skull stamp and layer it in some way to get a dimensional effect?  Here's what I came up with, do you think it worked?


I ended up stamping 3 of the top hat skull images from cardstock coloured with Distress ink in three different colour ways just as Tim did for his tag.


I also stamped just the top hat onto another piece of cardstock that I coloured with Distress inks in blues and black and then embossed the top hat with clear embossing powder.

I fussy cut each of the skulls and then cut out the eye sockets and nose on each one and also cut pieces off of the two top layers to expose increasing amounts of the layers below.


Here you can see how the skulls are layered one on top of the other (I now need some more foam pop dots!!).


I cut out the embossed top hat separately and added it as the final layer of my 3D undertaker's skull.

I covered a #8 tag with some funeral parlour and undertaker ads from the wonderful Regions Beyond paper stash and sanded the edges and coloured them with some Walnut Stain distress ink.


I used the Speckles layering stencil to add the 'blood' spatters, a combination of Abandoned Coral and Walnut Stain DI makes a perfect dried blood spatter colour :O)

I didn't have any of the Observations word bands, so I masked off one of the stamps from the Undertaker set to stamp the word 'Undertaker'.  I stamped it with some Jet Black Archival ink onto a snippet of the gray coloured cardstock I had used for one of the skulls and then clear embossed it.


I mounted it onto a couple of layers of thick chipboard, added some more 'blood' spatters with the Speckles stencil and attached it with some pieces of rusty wire.  Did you notice the silver tooth on our skull friend?  I added a bit of Pumice Stone Distress embossing powder to the one tooth on the top skull for a glint of metal just as Tim did for his Zombie friend on his tag.

I coloured the skeleton charm from the Oddities adornments with some Brushed Corduroy Distress paint and attached it to a piece of Distress ink stained crinkle ribbon with a rusty safety pin.



I used the Abandoned Coral and Walnut Stain ink again to colour the ribbon, do you think it is perhaps a piece of blood stained fabric?  Yikes!!

So that's my take on Tim's October 12 Tags of 2015.


I had a lot of fun making it, the challenge of creating the 3D image using one stamp definitely tested me this month but I think the end result was well worth the effort.  It's one of my favourite Halloween tags ever, so thanks Tim for your continuing inspiration!

Off to work on another Halloween project, I'm not sure what it will be yet so am going to pull out all of my Halloween bits and bobs and see what I can dream up.  I seem to remember some small wooden coffins lurking about in my stash, hmmmm, what can I make with those do you think?  Thanks as always for stopping by today and happy creating!

Deb xo

37 comments:

  1. Love it! Fantastic design and amazing skull! Brilliant Deb, such awesomeness.

    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! You did great with your 3D effect. Your tag is awesome! Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I had great fun making it. It looks especially spooky at night, the eyes are deep black holes, very creepy :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  3. I'm working on mine too! LOVE that you used this stamp instead of the die! He looks awesome layered! Great take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anita, I love that Undertaker stamp set and it was the first thing that came to mind when I was trying to decide what to do. He is rather chilling! Deb xo

      Delete
  4. Me too,, me too, working on mine but WOW, I love your innovation with your tag, the Undertaker looks amazing,, I especially love his hat and the hanging skull is just the perfect finishing touch! Love this take on Tim's tag! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome tag!! Love the dimension of the Undertaker, and how you used a different colour paint for the tiny skeleton, great contrast!! He's so creepy...I love it!!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a look at Tim's tag and it's very cool. You did an awesome job of getting the same effect. I really like this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I like this and yes your layered skull works fabulously! This is a clever and genius tsk on this months tag. That skull stamp is on my wish list now! Awesome sauce use of the blood splatters and the bloody ribbon/fabric piece! Loves Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki, I never get tired of making stuff for Halloween, endless sources of inspiration! And yes, you definitely do need the Undertaker stamp set, it is fabulous :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  8. Hi Deb, your tag is so cool, I am always excited to see your new creations. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab! I think I like yours better than Tim's (shhhhh!)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful - so wonderful can I make one too!!!!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Deb. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tag. The 3D undertaker is really clever and so creepy. Also love the skeleton charm covered in brushed corduroy paint. LOVE LOVE LOVE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your 3D effort gets an A+ Deb! So much TLC goes into your creations, part of the reason they turn out so awesome! Can't wait to see more spookiness! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the attention you achieved , looks fantastic and I adore the colour way too. Fabulous tag, I love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always create amazing works of art, and this time you have achieved a even higher standard! Creativity blooms in your heart Deb.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, be still my Halloween heart! Deb, I LOVE this one to bits! Your blood stain spatter is spot on--no pun intended! The undertaker stamp is perfect for this, and when I was throwing my tag together, I kept wishing a magic craft fairy would drop that set on my craft room table. I love the rusty wire, the glinting metallic tooth, and the fact you love Halloween, too! Want to come help me decorate my yard for the big day???? If I were on Tim's nominating committee I would vote your tag as my #1 choice! (Even before my own, of course!) Big Halloween hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to come help you decorate Sara, ain't Halloween fun?! So glad you liked the tag, hope the craft fairy drops the Undertaker stamps on your table soon 'cause they are wonderful, lots of spooky goodness! Thanks for your kind words and I'd be voting for your tag if I was on Tim's committee, your coffin tag is amazing! Deb xo

      Delete
  17. Oooooo, soooo spooky, Deb!! And Fun!! You made fabulous creative compromises on your version of Tim's tag this month! I love the layered skulls and your blood splatters are fab! Maybe 'old' blood that's been there a while? It does turn kind of rusty brown after a while....mwaaaahhhh!! LOL!! :) :) I just got this stamp set, too!! It's a fun one and one that won't go out of style!! FAB tag--good luck at the challenge!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great take on the October tag - love the dimension you've created with this skull and all in such fabulously queasy colours.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhhhhh simply a brilliant idea and a beautiful take of October tag!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely fabulous! Love all the layering of ink and that skull is blooming marvellous too Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo