Thursday, November 5, 2015

Celebrating With Fireworks At A Vintage Journey

Hello and thank you so much for stopping by today.  I am thrilled and excited beyond words to be able to share with you my first post as a Creative Guide at A Vintage Journey!  I was delighted and honoured when Brenda Brown contacted me to let me know that I'd been chosen to be one of their new Creative Guides, along with Amanda of Ink-A-Pink and Olga of Scrap Forever.  To be selected to join the amazing and talented design team at A Vintage Journey is indeed a dream come true and marks the start of a new and exciting endeavour for me in my own creative journey.  I hope you'll continue to follow along to see where this new path will lead!

This month's challenge at A Vintage Journey, hosted by Nikki, is 'Baby You're A Firework'.  Here is Nikki's description:

Fireworks are a big part of celebrations at this time of the year. Be inspired by them to create a Tim style project; think Distress Glitter, bold colours, ink and paint splats and fun. Go on, light up that night sky.
Put your own interpretation on it – Tim inspired of course. It doesn’t have to have Tim products but say what your inpiration is both in your AVJ challenge piece and in your own blog post.

You can make anything you want, as long as it clearly follows our Travelling Instructions. Just click HERE if you want to double check before entering.
Our challenge is a monthly one and a randomly chosen winner will receive a £20 gift voucher from our very generous sponsor, Country View Crafts. We also award our Pinworthy badges to the Top 3, chosen by the Creative Guides.

At first I couldn't figure out the November firework reference in the prompt until I remembered that Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated in England on November 5th.  As we don't celebrate it here in Canada, I chose instead to concentrate on the celebratory aspect of fireworks.  My hubby has a birthday coming up near the end of the month, so I decided to make a birthday card for him using Tim Holtz's hilarious Bird Crazy stamps and dies.


I have to tell you, these stamps crack me up every time I break them out!  And now that Tim also has the Crazy Things accessories stamps and dies to complement them, the creative possibilities are endless.  I was also influenced by Tim's Crazy Thoughts stamps which I don't have yet, so that was where the inspiration for my 'blast' word bubble came from.

I started out with two pieces of scrapbooking paper, one black and one dark grey, each cut to 6" by 12".  I spritzed both of them with Brushed Pewter Distress stain and Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist.


When dry, I glued them together and scored the paper in the middle to make my 6" square card blank.  That's also where my in-process pictures ended as I got on a roll and completely forgot to take them so I'll explain my steps as I show you the finished card.

All of the crazy birds were stamped twice onto white cardstock with Jet Black Archival ink and then die cut using the Bird Crazy Sizzix dies.  The eyes, beaks and wings were cut with the same die set from the second stamped image so they could be mounted on pop dots once I had finished colouring the birds with Distress ink using a water brush.

I cut the firework from a piece of cardstock from Tim's Correspondence paper stash and gently rolled it to give it some dimension.  The sparks coming from the top of the lit firework were created by snipping off bits from a silver tinsel Christmas garland and then adding dots of silver Stickles glitter glue.


I stamped some of the Crazy Things accessories onto white cardstock with Jet Black Archival ink as well and fussy cut them out (I don't have the dies for the Crazy Things yet, it's on my wish list!) and coloured them with Distress ink and my water brush.  I wanted this guy to be holding a firecracker so I drew one and cut it out and added some more bits of silver tinsel to the end of it, hope it doesn't blow while he's holding it!


There is a wee string for the balloon included in the Crazy Things stamp set but the logistics of cutting it out by hand were beyond me so I just used a piece of black button thread instead.  I love this deflated balloon, so funny!

The letters for the sentiment were die cut using Tim's Alphanumeric dies.


I die cut each letter twice, once from blue scrapbook paper and once from white cardstock, and then layered each letter, bumping the die cuts slightly to give the letters some dimension by adding a highlight in behind.

The bubble for the 'blast' image was created on PicMonkey and I then die cut the word using the same Alphanumeric dies.


I used the negative of the letter die cuts this time and just pieced in the offcut pieces for the 'B' and 'A' to form the letters.  I don't have a firework stamp, so used a Ranger Clear Emboss It pen to draw the exploding firework image and heat embossed it with some silver embossing powder from my stash.  I added a few finer lines with a white gel roller and then added dots of blue glitter glue to the ends of the silver embossed lines to create the exploding firework.

On the inside of the card, I decided to show what happened when that lit firework went off, it's bird crazy mayhem!


Crazy birds and birthday presents are flying everywhere!


I cut the 'exploded' top of the firecracker from the same Correspondence paper stash cardstock as I had used on the front of the card and added dots of Stickles glitter glue leading to each one of those crazy birds and their gifts.


Whoops, she's lost her party hat in the explosion!


Oh-oh, there goes the present he was bringing to the party!


Eeeks, hope he isn't headed for a crash landing!

The inside sentiment was created in the same manner as on the front and I added more of the embossed exploding fireworks as well as a few mirrored stars.


I had so much fun making this card, I was giggling the whole time as I put it together and I do hope that my hubby gets a chuckle out of it as well :O)


Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope that these crazy birds brought a smile to your face too.  I also hope that you will head on over to A Vintage Journey to see what other inspirations the Creative Guides have made for you (they are absolutely stunning as always!) and that you will be inspired to join us in this month's challenge.  Have fun!

Deb xo

38 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, you have started out with a bang! (pun intended) Your card makes me so happy and just thinking of it is a delight. So fun and so so clever. Welcome to the team - I look forward to working with you. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on becoming a creative guide. This is a great card, so cute and so fun. I just love how you did the inside of it too with all those crazy birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all those crazy birds!! What a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats being chosen for the creative team! Cute card-- love the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome on board at AVJ Debs"....ts fabulous to have you join us. Absolutely love your card and there is no doubt about it your hubby will love it too 😃 the front of the card looks amazing but the inside is fabulous.

    TFS and have a lovely weekend
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I thought there'd be trouble when I saw that crazy chap in charge of the fireworks, and then you open it up and Kaboom! Love the spritzy shimmer in the background too. Fabulous fun - what a brilliant take on the theme. It's wonderful to have you on board for the Vintage Journey - I know you'll enjoy the ride!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if that isn't the most fun card I have seen in a long time! I can tell you had a blast making it too and it shows! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Deb, a huge congratulations to you on being chosen for the Vintage Journey team, what a wonderful and talented group of artists to be a part of! They are super lucky to have you on board, you will be a great source of inspiration! Love your first project too, it's quirky and fun!

    Hugs :)
    My Little Craft Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to have you on board at A Vintage Journey. Love your first piece. When the crazy birds are involved there is always trouble lol. Fantastic interpretation of the theme. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting and a great choice! One of my favorite blogs and I am THRILLED for you! Adorable card BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, those birds are hilarious, the card is so funny, he will love it. ;o) Congrats on being asked to be a Creative Guide. They made a perfect choice when they picked you. Wishing you all the best in the new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally amazing start to your journey with us at AVJ and so pleased to have you as a Teamie. Adore what these crazy birds have got up to on your card, great techniques and a fun card. Love it.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY YAY YAY!!! Good for YOU, Deb!! Congrats on your new Creative Guide DT post at AVJ!! So well deserved and you're going to be a GREAT addition to the team!! This card is truly Magnificent and a Fabulous first creation for your introduction at AVJ!! Look at those crazy birds!! Such a fun card and your Hubbie is going to love it!! Cheers to you my Friend!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. welcome to the team Deb! so happy to have you joining us - I love how you create and the humor you bring to your pieces - this card made me laugh as well! - especially the inside where the birds are flying out of the fire work rocket!! Such a fun and clever design - congrats on your first posting as a Creative Guide! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, a huge big welcome to the team!! Wonderful to have you with us, and super that you jumped right in! Such a fun card, and hey of course if crazy birds are in charge of fire works there's bound to be trouble..... Love the way you put this together, such a fun card and so clever with all those little details! It's bound to bring a big smile to someone's face when they receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Better she lost her party hat than her party pants!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Huge Congratulations, Deb! You will be a great addition to the team! Great card,and I'm sure your hubby is gonna laugh til it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara and I do hope he likes it :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  18. What a great card to strait your vintage journey Deb, it is quirky and great fun. So glad you are able to bring your wonderful talent to the team and hop aboard to help creatively guide our readers. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, I am so excited to part of this amazing team! Deb xo

      Delete
  19. Biggest smile ever when I saw the inside!
    This is priceless, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Deb this is brilliant and really made me smile! Welcome to AVJ and thanks for creating at the last minute - what a great start! Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. First off a huge well deserved welcome to the team!!! I'm thrilled that you've joined us and what a way to start - this is a card that just keeps on giving! LOVE the crazy birds partying hard with those fireworks and presents. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, Deb,
    So excited for you! Take care ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations ! Deb and what a fantastic celebratory debut ! Love your card ( sure your hubby will too ) - Crazy's , fireworks and so much fun. I can feel the joy you no doubt had in your heart when you made this . Thank you for making me smile today x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! I just loooove that crazy card og yours. That was awesome :)
    Hugs, Niti

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations, Deb! I love this bird! Sparkling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a darling card!!! Love all the details in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, it was a lot of fun to make :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  27. You could not have made a better start Deb, this is clever, fun and the inside is hilarious, just what you would expect from the crazy birds - lol. I love it and bet your hubby does too! A huge welcome to the team, it is wonderful to be working (playing) alongside you! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this Deb, it's nice to see a Tim project that's such fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adore these wacky birds and my oh my what a fantastic adventure you have sent them on! Love the fabulous whimsical fun and pure smiles! You are an amazing Creative Guide, Congratzz!
    Have a wonderful day!~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Kim and thanks for your kind words! Deb xo

      Delete
  30. Congrats! Love your silly bird celebration! Love the firecracker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzz! Those darn crazy birds are always getting up to some kind of mischief :O) Deb xo

      Delete
  31. Huge congrats to you on your DT position at AVJ! They are super lucky to have you and you will do amazing designs to inspire the masses. :)
    Your crazy bird card sure made me laugh this morning! What a crazy good card and all the little details are awesome sauce! Genius idea to use the tinsel for the fuses! That bird on the front with the deflated balloon looks rather perplexed as to when the bomb will go off. Love the other birds as well. Fantabulous design! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Niki! And those crazy birds are endlessly entertaining, love thinking up new situations to put them in LOL! Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo