Monday, December 14, 2015

Corrugated Christmas Trees Ornament

Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend.  I was finishing up a tutorial this weekend that will be posted over at Mixed Media Mojo on Wednesday (sorry, no sneak peeks to show you till then!) but I'm now back to working on some projects to link up with The Funkie Junkies 12 Tags of Christmas.  I finished up this little ornament that was inspired by Linda's week #6 tag.


Linda used a similar colour palette on her tag and she had a tree motif, corrugated cardboard and watercolour background stamping so those were the elements that I used as well.  If you've not seen Linda's 12 Christmas tags challenge, click here to check it out, some very generous gift certificates to her shop, The Funkie Junkie Boutique are on offer!

I started out with a wrinkle free distress background in shades of brown with a touch of Mustard Yellow and then did some watercolour background stamping using some new Artistic Outpost stamps that I just got.  I stamped the sheet music from Ephemera Backgrounds in Ground Espresso and the tree scene from Sleigh Ride in Peeled Paint and Evergreen Bough.  I then cut out three tree shapes from some green corrugated cardboard that I have in my stash along with some tree trunks from brown corrugated card.


I added some white acrylic paint to the raised areas of the corrugations with my finger and as you can see added a spattering of white paint after the ornament was put together.

I die cut the sentiment using Tim Holtz's Holiday Words: Block die from kraft cardstock.


I added an offcut from the wrinkle free distress coloured paper that I used for the background in behind the die cut letters and adhered it along the bottom.

I coloured a mirrored star with Butterscotch and Copper Mixative alcohol inks and then die cut several small stars from a gold Deco Sheet.


A piece of crinkle ribbon coloured with Ground Espresso and Vintage Photo distress ink was added as a hanger and it was done.


Off to work on week #7, it's looking like Santa's workshop down in my studio, there are die cuts, glitter and glue everywhere!  I'll be back soon and until then happy creating!

I'd like to link my ornament up with Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge 'Just A Pinch' - I added just a pinch of white spattering to my ornament for some snow along with just a pinch of gold glitter in my deco sheet stars!

Deb xo

12 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, I just love these fabulous corrugated trees on this lovely vintage background! Such a perfect tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever use of cardboard. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a simple design and yet so impressive. I love the look of corrugated cardboard and the color palette is very appealing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love this color mix -- so soft! The corrugated trees give this ornament so much texture and interest! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful adaptation of Linda's tag Deb, the corrugated trees are fabulous and I love the wonderful background you created for them too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this! Great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these trees Deb! The corrugated is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these trees Deb! The corrugated is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the trees too. The texture really makes them special! Holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, what's going on here...how did I miss so many posts!! Apparently I fell asleep at the wheel again. tee hee. This is such a fun tag Deb. Love the corrugated tress, so fun and festive!! sending more hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple but so effective... love those trees and the subtle musical background is glorious!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty! I love the trees and the sparkle. Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo