Tuesday, December 29, 2015

I Did It!

Merry Tuesday everyone!  Hope you have recovered from the holiday mayhem and are now able to sit back and relax.  I've been working on my December Tim Holtz tag and am happy to say that I did it, I made all 12 of Tim's tags this year!  It just seems like yesterday that I was cruising about blogland and saw the challenge on his blog and decided to join in the fun, where has this year disappeared to?!

As is usual, I didn't have all of the elements that Tim used on his tag (click here to see his December tag) so had to substitute some of my own reasonable facsimiles, but I love how it turned out.


I started out with a #8 manila tag and glued a piece of burlap from my stash to it and then stenciled the background with the Poinsettia stencil and some Festive Berries distress spray.  I did some messy stitching around the edges on the sewing machine and then coloured the edges of the tag with some Ground Espresso distress ink.  The burlap started to fray as I added the distress ink, love it!

I don't have any of Tim's punches so used my Holiday Greens dies to cut some evergreen boughs instead.  Since they were a little to big to manipulate into a wreath as Tim had done on his tag, I decided to create an evergreen swag instead.


I die cut boughs from two different colours of green cardstock and then added bits of Twisted Citron, Evergreen Bough and Mowed Lawn distress inks here and there and tipped them all with a bit of Ground Espresso.  I didn't have the die for the bow that Tim used either so cut a length of red Tinsel Twine and made my bow from it.


The whole tag then got a spattering of Picket Fence distress paint, the spatters kind of disappeared on the burlap backround but you can see them on the evergreen swag.

I wanted to give a salute to my favourite Christmas movie of all time, 'It's A Wonderful Life', starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.  Makes me cry like a baby each and every time that I watch it but it is such a wonderful and uplifting story.  So I made some 'small talk' stickers on the computer with the movie's title, sanded them lightly around the edges and added them to the tag.


Tim had used a Mirrored Star on his tag but I had some of his Gumdrops in my stash that I hadn't had a chance to use yet, so I coloured a couple with some Red Pepper alcohol ink and glued them on.

If you know the story of 'It's A Wonderful Life', you will know that I had to include a bell so that Clarence (or any other angel!) could get their wings ;O)


So I clipped the prongs off of a Jingle Brad and attached it to the 'wishes' Christmas Typed Token with a jump ring and attached the whole assembly to a length of Crinkle Ribbon coloured with some Evergreen Bough and Mowed Lawn distress inks using a rusty safety pin from my stash.  The other Gumdrop made an appearance here on the top of the tag as you see.

So that's my December Tim tag, I am so happy to have been able to get all 12 completed!


I was visiting Alison Bomber's blog, Words and Pictures, yesterday and she had included a compilation of all 12 of her tags in her December Tim tag post.  It was wonderful to see them all together so I am going to take a page from her book and do the same, thanks for the great idea Alison!


Thanks to Tim Holtz for another fabulous year of inspiration, I have learned so much from him and come so far in my personal artistic development thanks to his amazing generosity.  I fervently hope that he will continue his 12 Tags tradition, can't wait to start all over again in January 2016!  Have a great week everyone and as always, happy creating!

Hugs, Deb xo


20 comments:

  1. Hey-- great minds think alike. I made a swag instead of a wreath too! Love yours!! Look forward to seeing your tags in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking before I read it that it was a great idea to show all the tags you did. I'm glad you didn't ask us to pick a favorite because I like them all and no way could I decide on just one :) I love the look of the burlap on this one. Nice choice for a background. You were right about the bell. If this is dedicated to the movie "It's a wonderful life" a bell was a must

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome when a self challenge sees it all the way to the end! Congratulations! Your tag collection for the year is fabulous. Love the Holtz style of everything. I'm glad you posted all your tags together. Love seeing them all at once. Also love that tiny bell with your wishes charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New year resolution for me... Do all of tim tags! Love your version Deb and adore seeing them all together! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tag, you are so creative. You have such an awesome collection. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fun to see all your tags lined up like that, well done Deb!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and I'm sending cheers for a Happy New Year! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! What a way to end 2015!!!! I love your Christmas tag -- although I always like what Tim comes up with - I love it when I see someone create their own vision. Your tag is splendid!!!!
    I wish you a very healthy and happy 2016!!!!!!!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tag! I am so glad that you completed the entire year of Tim's tags! I had to stop, since every month I had to spend fortune to get just half of stuff needed for a tag, so I had to quit...
    Happy New Year!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your tags have been gorgeous!!! I LOVE that you did them all. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! A fabulous layout of all your tags - they look fantastic together. And the December one makes a great finale - I love the vivid greenery against the rustic background. Lovely post!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you, Deb! These are so gorgeous and fabulous to see them all together! December's tag is such a beauty! You've gone out with a bang for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! You did it and they all look so nice! Now take a break and get ready for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb! All of your tags are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Deb, that is a gorgeous collection of tags.
    Sending you Happy New Year hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, loving the soft colors in this tag Deb! Have a wonderful New Year holiday! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your tag - the burlap is perfect and the two colours you chose for the branches look terrific on the red background. I love that movie too... those old classics never lose their magic do they?
    Thanks so much for the card you sent me - I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just LOVE your version of Tim's tag Deb and it is wonderful to see all 12 tags together too! Happy New Year to you and yours! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep the great creation coming in the new year!
    Wishing you and your family the very best in the New Year!!
    Enjoy,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Late....I'm running late! Sooooo happy you were able to finish up the year, and with a bang I might add! Wishing you another year FULL of good things and lots of time to craft! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful collection Deb! I love your take on Tim's December tag and it looks amazing taking its place alongside the other stunners. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo