Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Leaping For Joy

Tick, tock, tick, tock ... that darn clock keeps on ticking along and the month of December keeps marching along and I keep getting further behind!  But I'm going to make an attempt to do some catching up over the next few days and the first thing I have to do is finish up some ornaments to send off to my swap partners at the Mixed Media Studio.  I am also woefully behind in participating in Linda's 12 Tags Of Christmas challenge over at The Funkie Junkie so I decided to make my swap ornaments in the style of Linda's tags so I could get two things crossed of my to-do list, yipee!  If you haven't heard of Linda's challenge, head on over to her blog to check it out; you have until December 20th to finish all 12 challenges and the very generous prizes are gift certificates to her store, The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

This ornament was inspired by Linda's Week #3 tag (told you I was woefully behind!) and I used the Holiday Knits thinlits dies on mine as well as adding a deer, some greenery and a sentiment as Linda had done on hers.


I covered a piece of chipboard with some neutral digital papers both front and back and then distressed the edges with Tim Holtz's Tonic distress tool and Walnut Stain distress ink.  I die cut two of the Holiday Knits thinlits dies twice, once from kraft cardstock and once from light blue cardstock.


I glued the light blue negative die cut to my ornament and then pieced in the offcuts from the second kraft coloured die cut.


It was a bit fiddly to do but I love the look!

I then stenciled the same designs onto the background, using the kraft coloured die cut negative as my stencil, with some Stormy Sky distress ink.


I didn't want this design to be too prominent so just used a light hand to add the distress ink through the stencil.  I also added a bit of sparkle to the deer's antlers using silver Stickles glitter glue to echo the sparkle on Linda's inspiration tag.

The greenery was die cut using Tim Holt'z Holiday Greens thinlit die from a scrap of green distress ink coloured card I had in my stash (sorry, not a clue what colours I used!).  I layered the greenery and then added the 'joy' sentiment over top that I die cut using Tim's Holiday Words 2: Script die from kraft cardstock and some silver Deco Sheets.


The leaping deer was die cut from kraft cardstock and then overstamped with a musical score stamp from my stash using Vintage Photo distress ink.

I made the bow over top the 'joy' sentiment from jute twine and added a bit of white acrylic paint to the bow here and there with my finger.


I then added a dot of silver Stickles glitter glue to the center of the bow to replace the dot over top the letter J.

I punched a couple of holes with my Crop-A-Dile and used a length of silver tinsel twine as a hanger and my third swap ornament was done!


So now on to ornaments four and five using Linda's week #4 and week #5 tags as inspiration.  I'll be back in a day or two with some more pictures and until then, happy creating!

Deb xo

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag Deb,you must have the patience of a saint to piece the knitwear border together ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Deb. I love the Nordic style patterns and that glittery JOY is so festive and fabulous! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great tag. You are a genius when it comes to doing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, such a beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I really like the top and bottom borders. Nice glitter touches too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. It's a sweet ornament. Clever how you did the top and bottom border pieces. I love how the greenery looks too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so very pretty! Love the colors and the sparkle on those antlers! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soft blues go so well with the light browns. I love everything about this as I love deer on Christmas things & the bit of tinsel sets it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simple natural colour palette of this - the greenery is gorgeous, as is your leaping deer. I'm not going to manage to join in this year... am very sad.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing color palette, Deb! I really love the kraft and light blue together, not something I would have thought of for Christmas but it is really wonderful. The technique with the positive and negative pieces of the die cut is terrific too. This is such a gorgeous holiday wall hanging. Sensational take on my Week #3 tag!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo