Thursday, December 17, 2015

Peaceful Silver Snowflakes

Happy Thursday everyone!  Hope you are having a great week.  I finished up another project to link up with the 12 Tags Of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style and today I have a plaque inspired by Linda's week 7 tag.  If you haven't seen the challenge at The Funkie Junkie head on over to take a peek, Linda is offering some very generous gift certificates to her store, The Funkie Junkie Boutique, as prizes!

Linda's week 7 tag featured snowflakes, a vintage typography background and a silver and blue colour palette and so those were some of the elements that I used to create my Christmas plaque.


I used some vintage sheet music for my background (the words and music to Silent Night) and then sprayed the background lightly with Brushed Pewter distress spray.  After it dried I stenciled some snowflakes through Tim Holtz's Snowflake layering stencil using texture paste and then sprinkled some blue feathery glitter that I had in my stash over top of the wet texture paste.  DISASTER!  It looked absolutely horrendous so I quickly tried to scrape the texture paste off but remnants of paste and glitter were still evident so it was time to come up with plan B!  I decided to hide the mess underneath some die cut snowflakes rather than stenciling them as Linda had done and thankfully it worked out in the end!

I cut several snowflakes from the Snowflake Duo and Snowflakes #3 dies, painted them with some Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter acrylic paint and then covered them with some German silver glass glitter I had in my stash.


The glass glitter is made with real silver and it has started to tarnish beautifully over the years, love the gorgeous patina it gives!  I had some little gems from the Dollar Store in my stash that reminded me of Tim Holtz's Gumdrops so I added one to the center of each of the snowflakes.

I coloured a piece of white cardstock with Vintage Photo and Tea Dye distress ink using the wrinkle free distress technique and then stamped the word Peace onto it using some Soft Navy dye ink.


I then quickly sprinkled some silver embossing powder over top and heat set it.  Because I had used a dye ink, the embossing powder didn't adhere completely to the stamped image but I love the lost and found effect that I ended up with.  I fussy cut around the sentiment and mounted it on some foam tape overtop of the silver snowflakes.  I've had the peace stamp in my stash forever, it is made by Rubber Stampede and I have no recollection of where I got it!

I then layered one of the Snowflake #3 die cuts with a silver snowflake that I had recycled from a Christmas card and added a frosted gem overtop to make a layered snowflake.


I mounted it on pop dots for a bit of dimension and then edged the plaque with some Ground Espresso distress ink and the plaque was done.

For a piece that started out to be major disaster, it turned out not too badly in the end!


So now onto week 8, I'm running out of days but am still hoping that I can get all of Linda's challenges completed before the 20th.  Wish me luck and happy creating!

I'd like to link my silver snowflakes plaque with the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge 'Die Crazy' - I used the Sizzix Snowflakes #3 and Tim Holtz Snowflake Duo die in the making of my decoration.

The Mixed Media Monthly 'Silver and Gold' challenge, MMMC #19

Deb xo

16 comments:

  1. Love the sheet music and all the sparkle! Love how you used the little dollar store gem...I have those same ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning tag, love those snow flakes! TFS and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Turned out really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when the vision you have doesn't work out so well on paper. Nice save though because this turned out really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so gorgeous Deb! Love that subtle vintage music pattern in the background and those glittery snowflakes are so elegant!! Sending Christmas wishes my friend. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOooooh la la! I went grunge and you went bling! What a pair we make! :) This is so beautiful! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very antique-y. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Beautiful Decoration Deb! I love the vintage look and the glass glitter. I swear I hoard that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS snowflakes!!! I love the glitz! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the musical background and the shimmering snowflakes, but I think the gorgeous silver word on the kraft label might be my favourite bit.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you moved onto Plan B! Absolutely stunning - love the snowflakes!! Thank you for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I love the big bold silver glittery snowflakes on your card. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Die Crazy Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came by to say sorry I haven't been around and have a wonderful Christmas! But I just wandered around your glorious art and you have made my heart sing, Deb! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous plaque, Deb! I love everything about it from that wonderful Silent Night background to your gorgeous German glass glittered snowflakes. That Peace sentiment is really fabulous - I'm coveting it! Another sensational entry into my 12 Tags challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely! those snowflakes look amazing, love the texture! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge! Happy New Year!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo