Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Plaid Poinsettia

Hello everyone, hope you are having a lovely day.  The sun is shining here today and it is as warm as toast, all of our snow has just about disappeared and it is feeling more like March than December.  But more snow and cold is on the way so I am trying to enjoy it while I can!

You may be wondering about the title of my post, no I haven't invented a new type of poinsettia but I did get another ornament made that was inspired by The Funkie Junkie's 12 Tags Of Christmas challenge.  This ornament was based on Linda's week #4 tag and I chose to use her plaid background, silver embossed background, poinsettia and stamped sentiment on my ornament.


If you haven't checked out the challenge at The Funkie Junkie, head on over to take a peek.  You have until December 20th to enter and the prize is some very generous gift certificates to Linda's shop, The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

I used a piece of chipboard covered with some parchment coloured paper as the base of this ornament and stenciled the plaid pattern through a Folk Art stencil using Barn Door and Peeled Paint distress ink.  I then added a few finer lines to the plaid pattern with the edge of a credit card coloured with the distress inks and lightly spritzed it with water.


I made a stencil from two of the Holiday Greens thinlits dies and added transparent texture paste through the stencil over top the plaid.  While the texture paste was wet, I sprinkled on some silver embossing powder and left it to dry.  After the paste was dry, I heat embossed the silver powder to activate it (although, as you can see, I didn't wait quite long enough for the texture paste to dry and got some bubbling but I kind of like the texture!).

I die cut the poinsettia using Tim Holtz's Tattered Poinsettia die and coloured it with several shades of red distress ink using the wrinkle free distress technique.  Once I was happy with the depth of colour, I edged each leaf with some Vintage Photo DI and added some white acrylic paint here and there with my finger.


 Once I had the petals assembled, I added a small clear gem sticker to the center to finish it off.

I stamped the sentiment with some Distress embossing ink and white fine line embossing powder onto a piece of cardstock coloured with several shades of green DI using the wrinkle free distress technique and some spritz and flick.


I fussy cut around the sentiment, edged it with some Vintage Photo DI and mounted it on some pop dots .  The stamp is from a discontinued Crafty Secrets Vintage Christmas stamp set.

And finally, the Holiday Greens die cuts left after making my stencil were coloured with several shades of green distress ink and then edged them with some Vintage Photo DI.


I brushed on a bit of white acrylic paint onto the leaves also, love how the same shapes are echoed in the embossing and the die cuts.

So that is my fourth swap ornament completed and week #4 of Linda's challenge entered!


On to ornament #5, hope to have pictures for you tomorrow and hope to see you then.  Thanks as always for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

11 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, this is fabulous!!! I have been wanting to make this exact stencil among others and am tickled pink to see the results! The background is amazing and the poinsettia looks fabulous! Great take!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty piece this is Deb. The whole is so well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like your stenciled plaid for the background and the texture on the silver stenciling looks so pretty, and as for the poinsettia - it is superb. Altogether a really beautiful tag! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you left no detail undone. this is beautiful. The shading you do and the little additions of the white paint make the poinsettia look so realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty - I love the silver holly over the plaid, and the colours are so lovely.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Your tinsel hanger is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plaid stencil is divine! Your whole tag is so fun and festive. Tattered Poinsettia pops right off that background. GORGEOUS! Pinning...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderful. Love all the details and fabulous Poinsettia. Don't forget to come along and enter our Festive Challenge at Emerald Creek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. at least you have some snow. we have 50 degree temps. where's winter. lol.

    love your plaid poinsettia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fun way to create the plaid background! Never would have guessed about use BG a credit card for some added lines, you genius you! Gorgeous tag and that flower is awesome sauce! Wonderous and lovely design! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo