Saturday, December 26, 2015

Seasons Greetings Christmas Tree Plaque

Happy Boxing Day everyone!  Hope you all had a lovely Christmas Day.  My hubby and I had a rather non-traditional Christmas this year, we spent the day cross country skiing with the pups and then came home to enjoy a barbecue steak dinner.  Our Christmas spirit is sadly lacking this year after the loss of our beloved Big Dog in November and we didn't have the heart to celebrate without him.  So we decided to just enjoy the day doing what he loved best, being out in the snow together, and we felt that our beloved Snow Dog was most definitely there with us in spirit.

Today I finished up a Christmas plaque to link up with the 12 Tags Of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style's challenge, this particular project was inspired by Linda's week #9 tag.


I especially loved Linda's texture paste Christmas words background and her wonderful garland at the top of her tag so those were the elements that I incorporated into my plaque.  Sadly I am not going to get all of Linda's challenges completed this year as the closing day is tomorrow.  But if you are speedier than I am, hope that you will be able to get all 12 of the challenges done so you'll be eligible for her very generous gift certificates from her shop, The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

I don't have the Tim Holtz Christmas layering stencil that Linda used for her background, so made up a stencil of my own using the Tim Holtz Holiday Words: Block dies and applied some Ranger matte texture paste through it.  After the paste was dry, I coloured the background with Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn, Picked Raspberries and Festive Berries Distress inks and spray stains and edged it with some Vintage Photo DI.  I added a few spritzes of Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist and some Heidi Swapp white color shine spray as well.

I took a length of Tim Holtz Pine Twine and made it into a garland and then snipped the prongs off of some Jingle Brads and added them to the garland with jump rings.


After gluing the garland in place with some E6000, I added four Yuletide Fasteners along with a '25' Number Brad that I coloured with some Picket Fence Distress paint.  I love the look of that garland, what a great idea Linda!

I stamped the Christmas tree (from a Recollections Christmas stamp set) onto card stock and paper pieced in the gold star and brown stand and tree trunk.


I added some gold Stickles glitter glue along the swirls on the Christmas tree and onto the star and then added some foam tape down the center of the tree to give it some dimension.

The 'Seasons Greetings' sentiment was stamped onto card with a discontinued Crafty Secrets Vintage Christmas stamp and then clear embossed and coloured with some Tea Dye and Vintage Photo distress inks.


I cut out the fish tail banner shape and bent it slightly to give it some movement and dimension and glued it into place.  A couple of holly sprays were stamped onto cardstock using the same Recollections Christmas stamp set as the tree, fussy cut and then had some holly berries added with Christmas Red Stickles Glitter glue.

Thanks to Linda of The Funkie Junkie for all of her inspiration over the twelve weeks leading up to Christmas.  I'm so sorry I didn't get all of the challenges done but will be sure to join in again next year and hopefully will be more successful at getting them completed!  Amazing how quickly the time just evaporates at this time of year isn't it?  Have a great weekend everyone and if you have the time and energy, happy creating!

Deb xo

I'd like to link my project up with Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday challenge, Make It Sparkle.  I added the gold Stickles to my tree and star, Christmas Red Stickles to the holly and some Heidi Swapp Color Shine Spray and Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist to the background.




13 comments:

  1. Deb, your colorful plaque is a fabulous take on Linda's tag! How clever to use the die cuts to create a stencil and to dangle the Jingle Brads from the garland! So pretty! I really enjoyed hearing how you spent your Christmas day out on the snow--I've always wanted to try cross country skiing. I used to love downhill skiing when I was younger, but I think at my age I'd much rather prefer cross country. Sounds like a wonderful day you've had, and I wish for you to carry the spirit of Christmas throughout the year.

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog...they mean so much to me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking plaque. That garland is a sweet touch and I just love those little jingle bells.
    Your non traditional Christmas sounds like a great way to spend the day and maybe you just started a new tradition :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, it is many, many years since I wore a pair of skis but your non traditional Christmas day sounds quite invigorating! Your plaque is gorgeous, how clever to make your own stencil too. The colours are so warm and rich looking and the garland is a fabulous addition! All the very best for the Christmas season Deb. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Deb, this is stunning! Love the colors and such gorgeous texture!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Deb! This is stunning. I love the tree with the garland - perfect complement. I'm sorry to hear that you won't have time to finish. This month really flew by and I too didn't get to many projects that were high on the list. I have enjoyed watching you use the products you had on hand to recreate Linda's tags. To me that is a huge inspiration because I cannot buy every new product that hits the shelf. Big Christmas hugs to you and hope your new year is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous! I love the bright colors and awesome textures! Love all your art and inspriration. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful holiday season!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Deb,
    I hope this finds you well and enjoying the holiday season. Ijust love checking out your new creations!

    Take care, ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately the holidays aren't fun and games for everyone. Hope you found a few smiles. Love the colors of your plaque. And the tiny jingle bells are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, thanks for popping over to see me. Love the plaque it just works so well. I am just getting turned round after Christmas as we took my parents home today. Pleased you managed to enjoy your boxing day despite the sadness. I understand how you feel. Take care, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, beautiful textures and colors! Love the attentions to details! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Make It Sparkle” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your little tree, and that background, Deb! Wonderful take on Linda's inspiration..... and lovely to find you through this challenge! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first Christmas without a much-loved pet is so hard, but I bet you're right and Big Dog was right there with you for the ski-ing and the steaks.

    Love your take on tag 9 - the rainbow colours are so pretty and I love the swirls of gold "tinsel" on the tree.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cool, Deb! Love the background you achieved - using the stencils created with the block words worked perfectly! The color of your tree just pops against the background - very nicely done. So sorry to hear you lost your beloved pet this year. It sounds like you have developed a great way to deal with your sadness. So sorry you won't make the full 12 tags this year. It's been wonderful having you along and I do hope to have you back for next year's challenge!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo