Thursday, December 3, 2015

Vintage Christmas Wishes Folio Album

Hello and thank you for stopping by today.  I have a great project to share with you that I created for our December challenge at A Vintage Journey, which is Vintage Christmas.  Annie is our host this month and here is her description:

For this challenge, you may find that one of your Christmas projects may just meet the challenge theme ... as long as your projects are vintage and we can see that you have in some way been inspired by Tim Holtz. (The inspiration can be in the form of a product or technique from Tim's vast range of crafty items, see our Traveling Instructions here).

We are very lucky to have Susan from Country View Crafts sponsor us every month and she is offering a £ 20 voucher to be spent online. Susan does not charge for UK postage, however, international charges may apply.

As well as the randomly chosen winner the Creative Guides will choose three pin worthy projects created by our fellow travellers ... i.e YOU ... so get creating as we would love to have you on board our Vintage Christmas Journey.


I was so excited when I saw Annie's prompt and the first thing that came to my mind was to create a Christmas album of some kind.  After mulling it over for awhile, I decided to make a folio style album that could be used as a Christmas shopping gift list before the holidays and then afterwards could be used as a photo album or journal to record the special memories of the season.


I also decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to showcase some of the techniques that Tim Holtz has shared with us, so each page was created with a different Tim technique.  I've used the tutorials from his 12 tags series as well as techniques showcased in his Compendium of Curiosities books.  Even though there are 16 pages and 10 tags inside this folio I've barely scratched the surface exploring all that Tim has shared with us, it is truly amazing the depth and breadth of his creativity!

The starting point for my folio album were some Tim Holtz Idea-ology page pockets that I've had in my stash forever.


They are designed to hold #8 tags and come with pre-punched holes for putting them into a binder.  I wanted the tags I was putting in them to peek out of the top of the page just a bit, so I cut four of the pockets down to 6 3/8" tall and that became the starting point for my measurements to construct the folio album.  I decided to add two signatures to the album and cut the pages for the signatures from some of my recycled manila folders.


The file folders were cut to 8 1/2" wide by 6 1/2" high so that when they were folded the pages would be 4 1/4" by 6 1/2".  I then cut a spine from chip board (aka an old cereal box!) and determined where to place the holes to bind the signatures into the folio by aligning them with the pre-punched holes on the page pockets.


The actual construction of my folio album was determined through watching several wonderful videos on YouTube by Debbie-Anne Parent of Ephemeras Vintage Garden.  I used her file folder junk journal video to construct the folio cover and then used her tips on book binding to sew the signatures in place.  She is much more adept at doing this than I am so I will direct you to her videos to see how it should be done LOL!

I covered the manila file folder I used for the album cover with digital collage papers courtesy of Wings of Whimsy and then added some texture around that wonderful vintage Santa image with Deco-Art Snow-Tex.


A strip of lace was coloured with some Ground Espresso distress ink and glued along the edge of the spine and then edged with silver Stickles glitter glue.


I layered several images from Tim's Festive Ephemera Pack behind a snippet of coffee stained paper doily,


and created the 'Christmas Wishes' sentiment on PicMonkey and fussy cut the image to add to the front cover.

The back of the folio album cover had another digital collage paper from Wings of Whimsy adhered to it and I then fingerpainted white gesso over top here and there.


Snowflake die cuts were coloured with Old Paper distress ink and Star Dust or silver Stickles glitter glue and adhered randomly around the back cover and more lace and silver Stickles finished it off.

The signatures were sewn into the cover with 1/8" ribbon coloured with Vintage Photo distress ink and I attached some Ideaology charms and a jingle bell to the ribbon tails.


I heat embossed the snowflake and ice skate charm with some white sparkle embossing powder from my stash and coloured the silver jingle bell with Caramel alcohol ink and then heat embossed with a touch of the same white sparkle embossing powder.

Here's a picture of the album opened up.


I used one of Tim's Yuletide Brads and a length of crinkle ribbon coloured with Vintage Photo distress ink to hold the folio album closed.

Digital papers from Vectoria Designs were used on the inside of the file folder cover and I added a pocket to the inside of the front cover to house a couple of small #5 tags.


The spine was covered with a piece of digital collage paper from Wings of Whimsy and the edges where the two papers joined was covered with more silver Stickles glitter glue.

I made a pocket for the back cover with the Sizzix 'Pocket With Scallop Edge' die from some digital paper by Crafty Secrets,


and then made a little notepad to put inside it using various digital vintage Christmas images from my stash.

And now on to the inside pages and tags. I added a pocket or tuck spot on each page for gift receipts or notes when using the folio as a Christmas gift list and then, after Christmas, the same tuck spot could be used for a photograph or journaling tag to document the holidays.  The tuck spots were mostly created with pieces from Tim's Festive Ephemera pack, so many wonderful vintage images to choose from.  I won't go into great detail on how I made the pages but I will add a link to the Tim technique that I used.  I'm also just going to show a few of the inside pages as I have already kept you for much too long!  If you are still with me, here we go.


Blended Batik Technique, Compendium of Curiosities Volume I, page 36 with snowflake stickers from the $1 store.


April 12 Tags of 2014 distress paint tissue tape collage background.


One of the page pockets with journaling/gift list tags inside


Page pocket with tags removed; I added a snowflake sticker to each side of the page pockets so they had a little interest when the tags were removed. This journaling/gift list tag was clear embossed with stamped images and then coloured using Tim's wrinkle free distress technique.


February 12 Tags of 2015 collage background


Center of the album, both pages have string closure envelopes I made with Tim's Pocket Envelope die.  The background on the left page was created with the Distress Paint Resist technique from Compendium of Curiosities, Volume III, page 47.  The right page background was created with a variation of Tim's Perfect Distress technique, Compendium of Curiosities, Volume I, page 38.  I stenciled the images with Distress ink through die cut negatives and then added the Perfect Pearls powder and followed Tim's instructions for the perfect distress technique.


Stencil monoprint technique, Compendium of Curiosities, Volume III, page 48.


Shabby Chic technique, Compendium of Curiosities, Volume I, page 49.  The paper clip was embellished with some punched circles, tiny die cut stars and a fish tail banner from some vintage paper scraps.




Perfect Distress technique, Compendium of Curiosities, Volume I, page 38 with a spattering of Picket Fence snow (wish this photographed better, it is lovely in real life!) with some Distress water colour stamping, Compendium of Curiosities, Volume I, page 35 on the bottom pocket.


December 12 Tags of 2014 with the Birch Trees die cut over top of background rather than the frosted film that Tim used on his December tag.



And finally (it will be over soon, I promise!) here is a group shot of the journaling/gift list tags that I made to put in the pocket pages.


The tags were mostly created by either stamping or embossing images onto the background and then colouring them with Tim's wrinkle free distress technique.  I added some die cut sentiments to some of them.

The back of the tags have a place to jot down your Christmas gift ideas as you do your shopping and then afterwards you can use them as journaling spots (just write the gift ideas in pencil and then erase after the gift giving is done!).


So that is my Christmas Wishes folio album, I thank you so much for stopping by today and for sticking with me through this very long post!


Please do pop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fellow Creative Guides have created for you this month, their projects are amazing as usual!  And I hope that you will be able to find a little time in this busy holiday season to make your own Tim inspired Vintage Christmas project to link up with this month's challenge, we'd love to see you there!  Happy creating,

Deb xo

30 comments:

  1. Wow Debs..you rocked this challenge.......your folio is so fabulous and what a great step by step.....the details are incredible and right up my street.

    Great to have you here at AVJ

    Huge hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little Vintage Christmas album. So many lovely details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Deb - what a marvelous album! I loved just the front and back covers and could be done - but then you opened your book! What a lot of work went into decorating each section and putting it all together - wonderful techniques and supplies used - and the tags are just lovely to finish it off- sweet little charms hanging off the binding as well! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Deb, what an amazing project and such a fantastic idea!!! I absolutely love this folio, it just oozes vintage goodness, each page is an absolute delight, and so many beautiful tags and fantastic techniques! Totally brilliant and a wonderful step by step too! It's great to have you on board at AVJ, this is just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Deb this is the most adorable Christmas folio full of wonderful vintage charm and so useful too. I love how all the different products have come together in such a uniform way and as I looked at each and every page through your photos I just got a deep warm Christmassy feeling and want to create and album where I can put my lists and photos too. Fantastic and job well done.
    Have a great weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness Deb, what a feast for the eyes this stunning folio is and what a labour of love it must have been to make it! I love every single detail you have added, from the snowy cover to all the beautiful images and textures inside. If this was mine I would never use it, it is far too beautiful, I would have it out on show for everyone to see and admire. It is truly gorgeous. I do so love having you as part of our wonderful team too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Deb! this is just a wonderful vintage Christmas folio full of so many wonderful things. I just love it it ! Thank you for sharing all the wonderful photographs of the inside details too. Just fabulous xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word, Deb... what a labour of love. Your folio is an absolute knockout, so full of festive treats. Amazing work on the cover, such a lovely vintage image, great texture and delicious lacy trim. The pages are just wonderful - I especially love the gorgeous blue/greys of the flourish page with the sparkly Twinkle on the back, and that amazing one with the birches. I can only imagine the time and effort (and I'm guessing pleasure too) that went it to this. It's certainly a joy to behold.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, it is stunning! A real masterpiece with all those lovingly created details!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb...this is stunning! You have spent hours and hours on this piece and it is so worth it. I love the folios and you have created a true Christmas masterpiece here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you! What a labor of Christmas love! WOW! The cover and the inside are wonderful! LOVE the tags, and all the goodies you used to make this! Just super fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anita, it was indeed a labour of Christmas love, so glad you like it! Deb xo

      Delete
  12. Sensational!! All of your work was sure worth it. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one really cool project, and the thought of housing all your tags in one place AMAZES me! So gonna give this a go! Thanks so much for the overload of eye candy! What a way to start a Friday morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Autumn! Hope you do give it a go, the videos on YouTube explain the construction much better than I ever could so go give them a look and have fun! Deb xo

      Delete
  14. Wow! Just beautiful! Thanks for all the detail and pictures! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat, I am so happy that you like it! Deb xo

      Delete
  15. Wow - truly wonderful - this would take me a year to complete!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea ! Deb Your folio honours the Vintage christmas theme wonderfully . So many gorgeous images and techniques. Thank you so much for sharing how you created this treasure . Its been a pleasure visiting today . x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is something I've always wanted to try to make. (I know you've heard me say that before! lol) I love the old fashioned images you used and the cute tags. Holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my, this is just amazing. You've outdone yourself with this one. I love all the vintage images

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Deb, you have started out with a bang!! Love your folio with the soft vintage papers and embellishment. So many pages of pure delight. Great Job!! S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. so much work deb - this is beautiful! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the album Deb. Good job. I love all the secrets you can reveal with each page, like an advent album. ;o))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Deb - this is AMAZING! I am working on something similar, and just love what you've done here....lots of little places to look. Absolutely fabulous!! Definitely puts me in the holiday mood! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Deb this is soooooo brilliant! Every little bit you have put into this piece! Love it! Thank you for sharing this gorgeous project on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your magical creation!!

      Delete
  24. Oh my eyes are so happy with this incredible project! I just love this, Deb and so much that I have to pin it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely festive folio! The vintage seeps through every page, I love how all the colours work together. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness how much work and love has gone into this Deb!!! Such a clever idea to recap on those Tim techniques and each page holds new magic to feast the eyes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful holiday project. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo