Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Rosette By Any Other Name

Hello everyone and my apologies to Mr. William Shakespeare for usurping his elegant prose for my blog post title!  But I've been having great fun making rosette's for a challenge over at the Mixed Media Studio and that line from Romeo and Juliet '...that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...' has been running through my head the whole time.

Our first Mixed Media Studio challenge of 2016 is to make a hardboard 4x4 page that will (I think!) eventually be combined into a book with other pages we will be making throughout the year.   I am assuming that we will be doing a different technique or embellishment on each page and this first page is to have a rosette or rosettes on it.  Here is the one I made.

 
I bought one of those children's board books at the $1 Store and trimmed it down to 4" x 4".  I didn't realize that it was one of those 'scratch and sniff' books until I sanded the page so I could glue my background papers on, oh my gosh it stunk!!  I did manage to sand off all of the 'sniffable' paper but it was not a pleasant experience LOL!  I glued on some Tim Holtz papers (not sure which paper stash this ledger paper is from, sorry) and then just inked the edges.

I've been making the rosette's from chevron patterned paper, using a YouTube tutorial by LisaEDesign.  It's amazing the different looks you can get by the way you fold and cut out the paper.


This rosette was made by cutting the paper with the dark row of chevrons on the outside and by folding the points down.  I just added a wooden button for the center of the 'flower' and added some chevron paper leaves that I die cut with the Tiny Tatttered Florals die.

This chevron was made with the exact same paper but it was cut with the lighter coloured chevron row on the outside and the points were folded upwards.


Amazing how different they look!  I added a little shamrock sticker from my stash to the center of this one, perhaps it will become an embellishment on a St. Patrick's Day project down the road.

And this rosette was made with the chevron paper that I die cut the leaves from.  It was folded with the points folded upwards as well but the shape of this rosette is very different due to the size of the chevron pattern.


So many possibilites depending upon which paper you use and how you fold it and what embellishments you add for the centers, lots of fun!

I'd like to link up my 4 x 4 page and rosettes to A Monthly Challenge's Challenge #3 - Small Creations.  I've just snuck in under the size requirement of no bigger than 4x4 in size :O)

I've also been working on a tag for an upcoming post over at A Vintage Journey.  Since this month has five Fridays in it, the Creative Guides will be making tags to share with all of you on January 29th.  I can't show you my finished tag of course, but here is the background that inspired it.


This tag was a monoprint that I made while making Tim Holtz's December 12 Tags of 2015 (which reminds me, I have to get to work on Tim's January 12 Tags of 2016 pronto!).  I had used his Poinsettia stencil for my December tag background and after adding some pearl embossed script stamping, more Distress inks in multiple shades of red and some drippy drops of spritz and flick water the Poinsettia monoprint became my backdrop.  Can't wait to show you the finished tag, stay tuned!

So now I have to get to work on a couple of more projects for A Vintage Journey as well as a project that will be my debut design at another challenge blog, where I have just been invited to be a part of the design team!  I am so excited and will tell you all about it on February 1st ..... sorry for all the teasers in this post!  Have a great week everyone and as always thank your for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous Rosettes Deb and I don't think that Billy will mind you borrowing his quote lol. I love how you can get 'innie' and 'outie' rosettes depending on the folds, and it looks fab on your 'smelly' book. Have a great weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, love it!!! hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rosettes Deb, think I need to invest in of these dies. That background is gorgeous, my wish list is getting longer by the minute! haha! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! Your rosettes are awesome! Amazing how they all look so different. Your first page for your 4x4 book is cute. I'm sure your book will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I'm sure you weren't laughing, but I got a chuckle out of the scratch and sniff story. Love your post title too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rosettes are so pretty Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Deb, what a fabulous post! You know, I find that Fridays usually have the least blog posts and good content, so this was a thrill for a girl that loves to surf on Friday! ;0 I'm absolutely diggin' these rosettes and can't wait to follow the link, thanks for it! Now this background has me drooling and I am ever so anxious to see what you come up with using it - it's KILLER! WOW! Happy Friday, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much awesomeness going on in this post! First those rosettes ---- gorgeous! The Shamrock one is amazing! Next that tag - love, love love the poinsettia's. I can't wait to see the finished tag. And congratulations on the new DT! I can't wait to see all the new details on that next month!
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you too Deb!
    Thank you for linking you work with this months challenge over on the 'A Monthly Challenge' blog - your 4x4 is just perfect for the theme of 'Small Creation'. Liking those rosettes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deb, first thanks for the visit to mine and secondly thanks for showing us the rosettes they are gorgeous and so clever of you. I love the papers you used too.
    Congrats with your DT news too, look forward to hearing more about it. Have a great weekend, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you did make me laugh Deb with your scratch and sniff book.....perhaps we could make our own sweet smelling ones in the craft world. Love your rosettes, they're amazing.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh these are great. I love how different they can look. The background for that tag is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful rosettes Deb! it is amazing how different they all look using different patterns - congrats on your new DT - can't wait to see where it is! Happy Weekend! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Giggles about the scratch and sniff. Hehe! Sorry you endured that but it looks like it was worth the effort as this is delightful. Your rosettes are fantabulous! So many different designs. Congrats on your many new endeavors. I'll see you on IG as well! Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd completely forgotten about scratch'n'sniff books til you said that! How funny, though I can imagine it was horrid trying to get rid of it. I love your smart page - the rosette is great against the background paper, and I love all the rosette variations too. The poinsettia tag background is just stunning - a joy!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun you've been having with rosettes! How fascinating that the chevron paper dictated each of their looks just by folding them opposite and cutting them opposite. I like the simplicity of the tiny hardboard page you've created. It sneaks in perfectly with A Monthly Challenge theme. I guess for scratch and sniff you aren't suppose to scratch the entire page! LoL. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like your rosettes very much, something quite different. The first green one with the striped leaves and wooden button is lovely, how awful about the bad smelly board, but it looks good now with the lovely ledger paper. Of course I like the other rosettes too and the marvellous background on your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just beautiful Deb, you are very talented.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your rosettes, Deb, thanks for the link. And that tag background is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work, Deb, and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo