Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Framed Snowflake

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Hope you had a great weekend and that it was fun and productive.  I was glued to Periscipe, YouTube and Instagram all weekend long, watching the updates and videos from CHA 2016, and didn't get a darn thing done (other than putting in some pre-orders for some of those amazing new releases, can't wait to get those Distress crayons!!).  But yesterday I put the tablet and computer monitor aside and buckled down to get a Christmas card completed to link up with two challenges that are ending today (yes, I did say Christmas card!).

The first challenge is over at Jingle Belles and their first Christmas card challenge for the year is 'Something Old and Something New'.  As you can probably tell, the challenge is to use something new and something old from your stash to make a card.  And the second challenge that I decided to incorporate into my card is the 'Holiday Hues' challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.  Pamellia challenged us to make something using our favourite colours for our favourite holiday in a shabby chic or vintage style.  Here is the card that I made.


I started out with a kraft cardstock card blank (5 1/2" square) and I edged it with some silver transfer foil using Tim Holtz's technique from his November 12 Tags of 2015.  I then cut a 5" square from Tim's Yuletide Paper Stash, distressed the edges with my Tonic Distress tool and added some stamped snowflakes that I embossed with white sparkle embossing powder.


All of these supplies were old ones from my stash to fulfill the something old requirement at Jingle Belles.

I die cut two Spellbinders Lacy Squares, cutting the largest square from manila card coloured with several colours of green Distress inks and the smaller square from the same manila card coloured with several colours of red Distress inks.


I layered the die cut silver snowflake (a gift from a friend this Christmas) overtop of the nested squares and glued it into place.

The center of the snowflake was getting lost against the patterned paper background, so I cut a small piece of kraft cardstock to fit inside the red square, stamped it with a script stamp and embossed it with some Pearl embossing powder.


The Spellbinders Lacy Squares dies and the silver snowflake were new to me, so there was the something new requirement fulfilled!

I then took a strip of kraft card, spritzed it with some water and scrunched it up and cut a fish tail banner, highlighting the wrinkles with some Ground Espresso DI and distressing the edges.  The sentiment was stamped and embossed with some more white sparkle embossing powder.


I adhered the banner in place with some pop dots but it still needed something, so I added some silver Stickles glitter glue around the edge of the banner and smudged it with my finger, much better!  I then gave the whole card a spattering of Picket Fence Distress paint to finish it off.  Red and green, silver and white with a generous helping of brown and sepia ... my favourite Christmas colours!

Card number one for next Christmas is now tucked away in my storage box, whoopee!


Thanks as always for stopping by today and thanks to Jingle Belles and Frilly and Funkie for the inspiration for my card, have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb xo




16 comments:

  1. O Deb , it's super cute , I just LOVE it ! Wishing you a wonderful day! ~hugs Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely, and the details are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Deb, and well done you for making a start on your Christmas cards lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done, great use of those papers and such lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors, and such great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now you've got a head start on your Christmas cards for this year...lol This is really pretty. Love everything about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just one word for your card...YUMMY! I love every single thing you've done with it...everything, I say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy MOLY that is fabulous, you are sooooo rockin' the tim as always! what a great combination of old and new items on your card! glad you could join our JINGLE BELLES fun in 2016! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for such a wonderful start to the Christmas card making! Love the texture on the edge especially! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is so festive and pretty, Deb! I love all that sparkle and glitter! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy love this Deb! Tim's papers never looked so stunning! A glittery snowflake, some fancy layers, some vintage colours and and a splash of snowflake flurries...everything I adore in a wintery card!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Holiday Hues' challenge! I do hope you will enter this into Anything But Cute this month as well. Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous sparkle, such pretty texture, and amazing layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some glittery textury (is that a word) magic ... so glad you started 2016 with the jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautifully layered and aged Deb! I love how you've coordinated it all and those touches of silvering are wonderful. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the look of the glittery snowflake over the shabby chic distressed layers, and the elegant muted colours are beautifully set off with the pop of the red frame.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty, love the snow on this!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo