Thursday, January 28, 2016

Love Is All You Need

Hello and thanks for stopping by!  I have a tag to share with you today that I made for our Tag Friday post over at A Vintage Journey.  What's that you ask?  Well, in every  month that has five Fridays, the Creative Guides at A Vintage Journey make tags on a theme or style of their choosing to share with our followers.  And, as Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I decided to make a love themed tag featuring a wonderful line from the Beatles' song 'All You Need Is Love'.


Do you remember the mop up tag I shared with you a couple of weeks ago that I had made after creating my December 12 Tags of 2015?


I was pondering what to do with it when suddenly the red colour and the flowers made me think of a valentine and I decided that all I had to do to complete the Valentine's Day trifecta was to add a whole bunch of hearts!

I started out by die cutting the word LOVE into the bottom of the stencil monoprinted tag using a Kaisercraft Block Words decorative die and backed it with a piece of kraft cardstock.


I then added a border of Jambo Lace roll tape, sewed it into place with the sewing machine and added some Ground Espresso DI around the edges.  The rest of the 'love is all you need' phrase was then added using some Tim Holtz Label Letters.

I wanted to have a variety of hearts cascading down the tag towards the sentiment so started to die cut and stamp several sizes and styles of hearts from either scrapbook paper or from cardstock coloured with several shades of red DI.  I used Tim Holtz's Scribbles & Splats heart die, his Visual Artistry Heartfelt scribbly heart cling stamp, Amy Tangerine's Stitched Imprint dies and Simon Says Stamp Large Holiday Shapes dies.  I also scattered on some clear iridescent hearts from my stash, they are actually confetti but I love using them for Valentine's Day projects!

I wanted to add pop dots under some of the hearts to vary the elevations and add some interest and really wanted to elevate the Scribbles and Splat heart die but as it is so open and lacy there was no way to support it with pop dots.


So I used a trick I learned from Jennifer McGuire and die cut the heart from my coloured cardstock first and then also die cut it from some white craft foam and layered the two, one atop the other.  It was a bit fiddly getting everything to line up so I did a second attempt where I glued the paper to the craft foam before I die cut it and then cut the two out together.  While that might work for some dies, I found that this intricate die ended up stretching and slightly tearing the paper overtop of the craft foam as it was cut, so I went with plan A!

The charm was created using a clear charm and bezel from Bead Landing's Found Objects collection.  I glued the definition of the word love (from an old dictionary page) in behind the clear charm and then added a small key from my stash, coloured with Caramel and Rust alcohol inks, to a tiny rusty safety pin with jump rings.


I attached the charm to a bow made from Crinkle ribbon coloured with the same red DI colours that I used on the hearts and the tag background (Festive Berries, Barn Door, Aged Mahogany and Fired Brick).

I love this Amy Tangerine die cut, can you see what is embossed onto the background?


Little tiny X's, a heart filled with kisses! xx

I clear embossed all of the hearts so they'd have some shine but this one little heart at the bottom was feeling a bit forlorn so I added a layer of Glossy Accents so he'd be extra special :O)


So that is my contribution to A Vintage Journey's Tag Friday.


I hope you will head on over to A Vintage Journey to see all of the tags my extremely talented team mates have created for you, as usual they do not disappoint!  Have a great weekend everyone and remember to hug your loved ones because Love is indeed all you need.  Happy creating!

I'd like to link my tag up with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Love Is In The Air + Use Red.

Deb xo

27 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles Schulz finished off that quote: but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. Rather true! Wonderful tag. Great details! Clever use of the red tag too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Deb - this is fabulous!! Love your mop up tag, and all your little hearts. Thanks for the tip about layering.... it looks wonderful! And your colors are wonderful!!! Giving me lots of ideas here, girl! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love is the theme of your tag, and I LOVE your creation! So pretty and intricate. The little key is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tag is SO LOVE! That's probably not coming across the way I'm saying it. With all the hearts and the gorgeous shades of red it simply exudes love. It's fun reading what you went through to create it. Love this tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it when you can transfer a background made for one season to another and you did this so cleverly Deb. Lots of gorgeous hearts in wonderful tones of red. Great job.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tag Deb, just love how you did the background and a super idea to use it here!! It just spells love all over, a super creative Valentine's make! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely tag! Debs that has Love and Valentine written all over it . Wonderful use of a 'mop up' tag especially with Valentines just around the corner. Thank you for sharing the LOVE x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this turned out amazing Debs! Love the lace down the sides and the itty bitty key hanging from the top. What a lovely Valentine's tag!! Great textures and effects on your hearts too, love the little glossy one. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning and lovely make! LOVE all those hearts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Deb - so much gorgeous colour but wonderful contrasts too - just stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb - this tag is stunning. Love everything about it. The colors and textures are fabulous. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tag, fabulous inking and love the little key! TFS and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb, this is one of my favorites of yours yet! I adore every inch of this beauty! I think you achieved just the right amount of "popped outted ness!" Beautiful in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Deb what a great way to use that mop up tag, it has transferred beautifully to Valentines! Love all the hearts, especially the glossy ones and the lace around the edge gives a lovely romantic feel to it! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic tag. You never fail to amaze me with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This card is just gorgeous! Every detail a work of art! I love all the elements you added! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic tag. Beautiful effect with the background and the water spots. So many beautiful hearts. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog it was very much appreciated! Thanks for playing along with us in the "Love is in the Air" challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Deb, love the tag. The detail is brilliant and it has worked so well for Valentine's. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Deb I do LOVE this one! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this is amazing. Love the gorgeous background, and all the layers you've added are wonderful. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous additions to an already fabulous tag Deb! Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous - really so gorgeous and full of love -- in fact I love that heart!!!
    I wish all I needed was love then I would not be carrying all this weight around!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Truly scrumptious! I love that splattered poinsettia background and the lace trimming and the wonderful layered hearts - a terrific tag, Deb! Sorry I'm so late getting round...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now - I'm sure I commented here earlier in the day... xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo