Friday, January 1, 2016

New Adventures Envelope Journal For A New Year

Happy New Year everyone!  Hope you had a wonderful evening welcoming in 2016.  It was a quiet one here last night but I did raise a glass as the clock tolled midnight.  Here's to a New Year filled with peace, prosperity, good health and creativity for all.

I have my first project of 2016 to share with you today or I perhaps I should say it was my last project of 2015 as I finished it yesterday!  But either way, I had a lot of fun making it and it is destined to be a birthday gift for one of my wonderful nieces.  She graduated from high school last year and has embarked upon a new and exciting stage in her life so I decided to make her an envelope journal to record her new adventures in.  Believe it or not, her birthday is not till June but this project was one that was crying out to be made, so here it is!


I was inspired by Paperkitz on YouTube who had made a similar mini album for her granddaughter.  This mini envelope album or journal is made with an envelope and 5 tags.  Paperkitz had used #10 tags for hers but as I only had #8 tags, I had to modify my design slightly.  But the basic bones are the same and I'd like to thank Paperkitz for the inspiration!

I used a Recollections 'Tattered and Worn' paper collection (I've had it in my stash forever so no idea if it is still available or not) and stamps from a variety of designers including Tim Holtz, Artistic Outpost, Crafty Secrets and Simon Says Stamp.  I wanted to keep to a theme of new beginnings and new adventures so all of the stamping on the journaling tags inside echoed that idea.

The cuff around the outside of the journal is made by joining two tags together, so I used the opportunity to make a little tuck spot for the first journaling tag on the back.


And since there was a tuck spot and journaling tag on the outside of the cuff, I decided to add one to the inside as well!


The basic construction of the mini starts with turning the envelope flap to the front of the envelope and then sandwiching it between two die cuts to form the first 'page'.


I used a Spellbinders Nestabilities Grand Scalloped Circles die to sandwich the envelope flap and then added an embossed, distress ink coloured #1 manila tag as a tuck spot for some journaling tags.


I die cut one of the smaller Grand Scalloped Circles to echo the shape of the page for one journaling tag and then added another little scalloped stamped tag to echo the same shape.

The next 'page' in the journal was formed by T-ing two #8 tags together.  This is where I had to do some fancy figuring as the #8 tags were smaller than the width of the envelop I used but it all worked out in the end!


More tuck spots were added to the back of the envelop flap as well as to the #8 tag that was positioned horizontally.


I used the scalloped tags again to echo the scallop on the envelope flap and a small #1 manila tag for the left hand 'page'.

Here you can see how the two #8 tags were T'd to form the next page in the mini.


More pockets were added for tuck spots along with #1 & #5 stamped manila tags.


I love that Hero quote from Artistic Outpost's 'Paperboy' set and think it teams rather well with the cowgirl from their 'Wander and Dream' set!

For the last page, I decided to add one of Tim's Pocket Envelop dies to the back of the vertical #8 tag for an extra-special, secret journaling spot.  And on the left facing page, I simply added a tuck pocket along the bottom and a watercolour stamped die cut butterfly so there would be room for photographs if desired (this is actually the front of the envelope if you are trying to figure out what's what!).


I die cut 'memories' twice using a Tim Holtz Holiday Words 2: Script die from distress ink coloured cardstock in red and black and glued it on top of another Grand Scalloped Circle die cut pocket.


Two more #5 tags were added for journaling, love Tim's 'Possibilities' quote stamp and the little butterfly girl from Crafty Secrets is so beautiful, just like my niece :O)

The back of the mini journal is actually the back side of the envelope, as you can see by the shape.


It's a perfect spot to tuck mementos and photos and also a spot to add another journaling tag.


This is simply one #8 tag folded in half and I attached another little stamped journaling card to it with a circular paper clip.  The stamp is one of Tim's Blueprint stamps from the Simon Says Stamp Stamptember 2015 limited edition stamp set.  I left the inside of the tag itself blank so there would be lots of room to write.


So there is my 'New Adventures' envelope journal, it was a labour of love and one of those projects that came together quite effortlessly (once I had figured out how to construct it that is!).


I do hope that my niece will like it although I'm going to have to wait awhile to find out!  Her sister, who is in university and is an intrepid world traveler (Europe, Asia, Africa ... you name it, she's been there!) has a birthday coming up before her sister, so I am thinking that I am going to make a Midori style travel journal for her.  I've not made one before so it's off to YouTube I go to find out how!  The January theme at A Vintage Journey is 'Vintage Travel and Luggage' and, although I didn't do a Creative Guide project this month, I am inspired by my team mates to make the Midori journal in a vintage style.  Can't wait to get started on it!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and all the best wishes to you, my wonderful visitors, for a fabulous New Year.  Happy creating everyone!

Hugs, Deb xo

26 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! What a fab project! Great mix of colors and patterns. You really outdid yourself! And just to sound like a know-it-all, the cowgirl is Annie Oakley-- great stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a nice gift Deb. Such a lot went into making that, she will love it for sure. May your new year be filled with many creative adventures. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like it was a real labour of love, the papers are fantastic and I do love the design. I think your niece will absolutely love this beauty. I look forward to seeing your Midori style journal when you make it, it sounds intriguing.... Happy New Year Deb! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing little travel journal! Your paper collection choice is a beauty. All your tag designs are so fabulous and inspiring for travel notes. So many awesome nooks and crannys for stubs and receipts and photos. What a joyful way this is to begin an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you. This is an amazing project. The colors, the pockets the tags, all just simply wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb, I am delighted to have found this project early on a Saturday morning it's my creative juices going it is such a fabulous start for the day. Ive pinned this project and cannot wait to give it a go. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen this concept and design before! IT'S BRILLIANT!!! I love how it opens, and the pages, and the tucked in tags! LOVE this! I will pin it to remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, this is one fabulous project! I love those hidden tags and of course the AO Cowgirl! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that 2016 will bring you many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! She'll love it....

    ReplyDelete
  10. My head is spinning and I will really have to study this and read several time. I love this journal -- so delightful!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Deb! I agree that the colors and patterns make this project special. All the layers create an interesting journal with a lot of room for notes and photos. Best wishes for a creative year ahead ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh laa laa!! You've nailed this format, Deb! Gorgeous throughout with all the various edges, patterned paper, nooks and crannies.... wow!! Great start to 2016, and I am sure your niece will love it! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. WoW! So beautiful! I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all those nooks and crannies and wonderful secret places. What a lucky niece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Deb this is amazing, a really beautiful gift for your niece! Hope you had a very Happy New Year. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Deb. You are the creating woman of 2016. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness Deb - how fun and creative - and seemingly ENDLESS is this wonderful tag journal! love the colors you used - and how it opens up to reveal so many wonderful places to tuck memories! How will you ever save it till June??!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Deb! How fun!
    Wishing you a Happy New Year dear friend!
    Hugs,
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's such a sense of life and good cheer and just general loveliness about this! I don't know how you will be able to bear to wait until June to hand it over! Gorgeous papers, wonderful tags and pockets and interactivity - I absolutely love it. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops - sorry - I was in commenting mode, and caught the AVJ mention out of the corner of my eye, and then was enjoying the project so much that I got all in a muddle!! This makes such perfect inspiration eye-candy for the challenge - I almost think we should just add it in now!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant Deb! I love any kind of mini album and this is gorgeous. Love the papers too. Thanks for the visit to mine, have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 32

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it, your niece is going to be thrilled. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Deb, such a wonderful gift you have made for your niece, and I just don't know how you will be able to wait to give it to her! She is going to treasure it! I love all the nooks and tucks and flips and flops (oops--NO flops!)to hold those beautiful tags! Just a delight, and now I'm inspired to get one going for my daughter, as she will be graduating high school in May, and to my sadness, it looks like she will be going AWAY for college. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deb, this is totes wowzers! I have never heard of an envelope journal! So many lovely layers and bits for her to take in! It would be über hard to keep this a secret! Hehe! Very intricate and detailed layers to this luscious journal! Awesome sauce and fantabulous! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deb, this is so gorgeous, I bet that your niece will absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving the beautiful colours in this Deb (I recognise some of those papers!) and what a fabulous design, beautifully put together. I bet your niece will be thrilled! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo